SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chitown_remodel

Red Oak hardwood floors

chitown_remodel
12 years ago

Trying to decide what color to stain the floor is making me crazy.

We are tearing down a wall between the kitchen and the living room and extending the already red oak floor from the kitchen into the living room, foyer and up the flight of stairs to the bedrooms (and down that hallway too)

Our perimeter cabinets are off white with light granite and our island is going to be ebony stained (same granite as perimeter).

To me it seems obvious to go with a dark floor BUT I have 2 kids (who always seem to have at least 2 friends over) and 2 dogs medium size lots of energy and I am worried sick about a darker floor showing scratches and pet hair.

Right now the floor in the kitchen isn't stained. It is just the natural oak with some coats of poly on it and it never really looks dirty (and I don't clean it too often).

I really don't like the yellow in the floor and I don't really like when it looks red either.

So my question is does anyone have dark oak floors with pets and kids and how does it wear?

Do I go for function or look? (I think this golden floor might look bad with off white cabinets but I haven't seen any pictures of it so I don't know)

Anyone have any suggestions or pics of their space with dark or light oak floors?

Thanks!

Comments (13)

• elba1
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I'm going with light oak for the reasons you both mentioned. Our floors are darker now, and wear and tear seems to stand out more on darker wood floors. I am waiting for samples from the flooring guy, but will be choosing a stain that has brown undertones, not yellow or orange.

• Related Discussions

Bleaching red oak hardwood floors

Q

Comments (10)
    I assume you're using standard two part wood bleach with hydrogen peroxide and sodium hydroxide. Bleach can have stop and lap marks so we always do two coats to ensure the effect is even. If you don't want it quite as white, the bleach can be diluted, but still apply two coats. We've never used NordicSeal right over bleach but I can't imagine why it wouldn't work. We generally use Bona White over bleach. Regardless of the color you decide on, you should use a Bona sealer. Bona recommends using a sealer before coats of urethane.
    ...See More

Trying to figure out what color to stain my red oak hardwood floors. M

Q

Comments (6)
    A light or no stain on red oak will give you pink floors, so best to go with a medium brown. A medium tone is also classic - as styles swing back and forth from light to dark I think it's best to be in the middle. Who wants to refinish their floors every 5-10 years? This way you won't have to do it again until they need it instead of when fashions change. Just don't go too cool on the brown - they shouldn't look gray. Gray floors are definitely out on the coasts - if this hasn't happened yet where you live it is on its way.
    ...See More

white vs red oak hardwood floors

Q

Comments (2)
    It's red oak.
    ...See More

Anyone find a LVP that coordinates with red oak hardwood floors?

Q

Comments (2)
    You might try Adura Max Southern Oak. It's similar to Coretec's discontinued Alexandria Oak. https://www.mannington.com/Residential/Adura-Vinyl-Plank/AduraMax/AduraMaxPlank/Southern-Oak/MAX690
    ...See More
  • NYSteve
    12 years ago

We're doing unstained red oak floors in the kitchen, LR, DR, and family room (all connected now). The LR and DR had oil-based poly on them which gave it that amber hue, but we're now going with a water-based poly that does not add any color at all -- so you see the natural wood -- just protected. I would take pictures if I could walk on it (final coat of poly is now drying)... maybe in a day or so.

This floor is against merlot-stained cherry kitchen cabinets as well as butternut-stained cherry around the fireplace, and it should look very nice against both. I'm not sure how it would look against off-white.

We do have 3 kids and a dog, and are expecting this to be even easier to keep clean than the other was. All we ever saw on the old floor was tufts of white undercoat when the dog was heavily shedding ... (which was pretty often, unfortunately).

• senator13
    12 years ago

We have red oak wiht a clear poly in our current home. It does not show things easily from the dirt side, but it does show scratches badly because the high sheen.

In our new house, we went with a darker, but not dark stain, and a matte finish. I think that wekk do fairly well hiding stuff in general.

• boxerpups
    12 years ago

I honestly believe light or dark is the same maintenance.
    I have had natural light oak and now have dark stained
    oak and the care is exactly the same to me. One does not
    wear worse than the other. Wood in general is going to be
    higher care than a ceramic tile. For me I would chose
    beauty over function when it comes to my floors.

I have 2 boxers, 3 kids and a messy family.
    I LOVE my dark stained red oak floors. My mother in law,
    neighbors, a few friends told me I was crazy to go dark
    with two dogs. I would do it all over again. Dh says:
    "why did we wait so long."

Do they show dirt?
    No. They are vacuumed weekly. And swept or mini vac'd
    if something terrible happens.

Does the dog hair show?
    No. I have boxers who have that horrific short hair that gets
    into everything and is like porcupine needles to get out.
    And have no issues. One dog is Brindle and the other a
    flashy gold fawn. The dog hair does not show more or less
    on a dark floor. Some folks on GW joke that get a dog
    to match your floors is the key to clean.

Do the floors get scratched?
    My dogs also have long nails. One is stubborn about trims.
    Yes, they get scratched but it is minimal. I had travertine
    floor tiles crack more than the scratches.
    The stain is so deep into the wood that if they have a
    tiny mark or scratch you can not see it.
    My floor guys used bonakemi traffic. I've heard it's
    awesome and for my floors I say yes. No scratches looks
    like soft matte wood.

I love my dark stained wood.

What look do you love? Do you love light? Light can be
    really pretty too. I will post some images below. Or do you
    love the dark?

I find if I like something ( counter, tile, floors,
    lighting...) it is not a horrible chore to clean it.
    ~boxerpups

• chitown_remodel
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Boxerpups -thank you for all the pictures. But all those pics I think just sealed the deal for me. I am drawn to the look of the darker floor. If I have to work harder to keep them clean so be it!

Thanks everyone for your honest replies. I never thought I would chose look over function!

• Capegirl05
    12 years ago

Yes Boxerpups! Thanks to you for all the pictures that you always provide...I know there are many here who love them! And lol about the dog hair matching the wood stain = clean. I have a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel and he sheds some...I should have chosen a red oak floor vs white oak...lol

• boxerpups
    12 years ago

Thanks capegirl,

And chitown, so glad I could help you. I love my dark floors. You will love yours too.

~bp

• destined2b
    12 years ago

I am doing site finished hardwood for a third time! Years ago in our first home I did a 4" red oak with a 50% brown and 50% golden stain and a satin finish. The tone turned out a lovely brown that was not too dark and the satin finish cut down on the sun glare showing up whatever cat hair or dust might was lurking around. I loved it so much I repeated in our next home but with a 50% cherry and 50% golden, mostly to match the stair banister, and loved it too.

I am now getting ready to do a 5" red oak, where we have a cat, a lot of sun and for some reason more dust than in our other homes. I will be using the 50% brown and 50% golden stain and I may experiment on a sample with a very light black rub for a subtle effect. The matte or satin finish is a must because of the sun. Another popular choice of stain used by designers is the color "Provincial" by Minwax which has a brown tone.

I personally do not want very dark or very light floors both for the same reasons, I think they show too much dust. And for me, the gloss finish is like a magnifying glass to dust, dirt and imperfections, so I stick with matte or satin finish and it makes for a beautiful floor and easy to maintain.

Hope this is helpful!

• chitown_remodel
    Original Author
    12 years ago

thanks destined2b for your advice. do you have any pictures of your previous hardwood floors with those stains?

seems like the matte finish would be best for us too.

• nini804
    12 years ago

We are building a house and have installed 5" white oak. I knew I wanted a dark, matte finish, brown with no red or gold in it. We chose 75% Jacobean and 25% dark walnut for our stain. It turned out so pretty! There is still some nice variation which I think would be good for the dog hair. (We don't currently have a dog, but plan on getting dd one for her birthday next year.) My friends with dogs and dark floors don't seem to have any trouble. Get the look you like...and just get a swiffer! :)

• lynn85
    12 years ago

We have 5" wide plank natural ash in our downstairs and natural red oak throughout the upstairs. Remember that the floors will deepen/darken over time. Our ash has been in 4 years and has deepened at least 2/3 shades compared to where the rugs have covered it. The same with the upstairs and the oak, it has been in 2 years and has also deepened in color. We have 2 dogs, 3 cats and two kids. The floors do great with all of that, our dogs (both large) have made some scratches in the flooring but I would still do it again, I love my floors, they are easy to clean and for the most part you don't see too much on them.

• Stacey Collins
    12 years ago

I have red oak floors with no stain, just a natural satin finish. They look great all the time, even when they haven't been cleaned in a very long time ;)

Our cabinetry is natural American cherry. They look fine together.