SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rockmanor

Copper sink drain/strainers

rockmanor
15 years ago

I've been searching for copper drains & strainers for our hammered copper farmhouse kitchen sink and bar/prep sinks with little luck. One online store that does sell real copper claims that all other stores sell only coated plastic or base metal. The photos they display of competitors' products with the finish worn off look a lot like ours. Is there a reason, other than cost, for using another metal with a copper look finish?

The drains/strainers in our new house began to lose their finish after just a few months of use. I noticed last month that the edges of the strainer basket on the disposal side had worn through to a shiny silvery base. Then I saw what looked like thick paint peeling off the lower edge of the drain, which now is missing about 1/3 of its finish.

The builder first insisted that he bought real copper drains/strainers, then later questioned whether such a thing exists. Having discovered that he cheaped out on quite a few other things, it would not surprise me if a supplier told him that he could buy faux copper for a fraction of the cost and he eagerly jumped on the savings.

So for those of you with copper kitchen sinks, are your fittings also copper? If not real copper, have they lost any of their finish? Or did you choose to use some other metal or finish in your copper sinks, including stainless steel, and accept/appreciate the contrast? Thanks for your help.

Comments (3)