SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chloe_s_mom

What is flock wallpaper and do I want it in my home?

chloe_s_mom
14 years ago

After reading another post about decorating 2 storey staircases, I've started thinking about my boring stairwell, the possibility of wallpapering it (need to rent scaffolding, I think), and came across flock(ed) wallpaper. Anyone have any experience (positive or neg) with it? I wonder if cat hair and dust would stick to any velvety bits? I've wallpapered this new house like mad, but am still a newbie (seams are still coming unstuck and my experience with non-pasted paper was quite something). Is it above my skill level?

Comments (23)

• patty_cakes
    14 years ago

My answer, no.....and hell no! Yes, it will attract any animal hair, and make your home look like the entry into an Oriental restaurant(no racial comment meant by this)....I hope you didn't take this too hard.

Are you telling me flocked wallpaper is......popular? Well maybe that's too strong of a word. How about, available? I thought it went away, but you're saying it's back.

My Mom had it in a black/white back in the 50's and I liked it, but it was in a small bathroom. A little goes a loooong way. Think this over. ;o)

• palimpsest
    14 years ago

Yes it is available. Cole and Son and some other high-end manufacturers have been producing it for a while, and it may be moving into more accessible retailers as well.

I think Cole and Son may have never stopped producing it.
    Its actually been around since the early 19th c.

It does get linty if the flock is dark and is in a higher traffic area.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cole and Son

• Related Discussions

Wallpaper not budging, want to do tile

Q

Comments (2)
    Repair the wall surface with spackling so there are no deep gouges. Sand the wall surface with #80 grit sandpaper to create a course texture. Wash away the sanding residue and let dry. Prime the wall with GARDZ by Zinsser. Now you are ready to install the thinset and tiles. Michael
    ...See More

Do you want to see my chic wallpaper border?

Q

Comments (21)
    Thanks, Susan - I'm sure there are better ways to do it, but all I did was take two plate hangers (from michaels)and hook them together in the back, one hooked to the top and the other hooked to the bottom and hookied together in the middle. The platter is fairly large and required two hanger. Then, I nailed one small picture hanger in the center of the backsplash on the grout line and hung it on that.
    ...See More

I’m scared of wallpaper but I love it too. Help calm my fears...

Q

Comments (13)
    I just finished a remodel and wallpapered behind my bed as well as in my bathrooms. I am absolutely delighted with the end result. I am not worried about wallpaper removal as I have no plans to remove it nor do I have plans to sell. All of my choices were driven by my personal aesthetics as well as my personal functionality - I am not worried about a mythical buyer in the foggy future. As to removal, I didn't put up the wallpaper nor would I be taking it down LOL. If for whatever reason I wanted to get rid of it, it would be done by someone I hired. FWIW, I remember my parents removing wallpaper as a child and it didn't seem that difficult. They used some kind of steamer so it was tedious but not highly skilled.
    ...See More

Wallpaper over plaster, then poorly skim coated, what do we do

Q

Comments (12)
    "We thought the historical society would know what they were doing." They know what they are doing,so does anyone that has bought or sold a piece of real estate. They are "putting the screws to you". The evidence point's to you being the one who doesn't know what they are doing. If you don't have a realtor repersenting you in this deal,I reccomend you stop worrying about wallpaper and get one right away.
    ...See More
  • IdaClaire
    14 years ago

We had it in the foyer in one of the houses I grew up in. Avocado green flocked wallpaper. I will therefore never be able to associate with anything other than the 1970s.
    ;-)

• Oakley
    14 years ago

We had it in our dining room growing up, in red and white and it was gorgeous! I don't remember any lint getting on it.

• palimpsest
    14 years ago

Way out in the woods in Northwestern PA there is a bar of some local renown with hunters and campers. It is in a collapsing house that still has (non operational) gaslights. If you think the movie "Deliverance" you are in the ballpark.

Anyway, it has some flocked wallpaper, some of which is probably 19th c. (There are two patterns, as well as some other wall treatments, paneling, plywood etc.) I wish I had a picture.

I think in the right place, it could be great. I don't think it is easy to install.

• Pieonear
    14 years ago

LOL@Patty cakes. :)

Chloe s mom, oh, please don't!!

We bought a house in the 80's and the master bath was papered in black and gold flocked paper with gold fixtures. I always wondered if it used to be a house of ill repute. LOL

• lindac
    14 years ago

Flocked wall paper is great in a huge old Victorian house...in the bedroom. The bedroom that has a huge high walnut bed with red velvet spread and red velvet draperys on the windows...with gold fringe....and a "fancy lady" in residence....or should we call the fancy lady a "professional?"
    There is a house in an old mining town in Colorado that was the town brothel and is now quite a touristy restaurant which is decorated with flocked wall paper.
    Looks good there.
    Linda C

• johnmari
    14 years ago

mammie, back in the 80s my parents (and I, being only approximately 12) rented a small but charming (despite being left half to ruin) Queen Anne for a several months. The bathroom had a clawfoot tub with shower ring above and shiny gold feet, RED-ON-BLACK flocked wallpaper, ornate gold lighting fixtures, a vanity in that horrible gaudy fake-walnut-and-airbrushed-gold-paint-on-MDF "Victorian meets conquistadores" style too many of us remember from the late 70s, and red W2W carpeting on the floor. Oh, it was horrible. I remember almost nothing else about the house (except that it was always freezing and the cellar, attic, and outbuildings' doors were all padlocked, which make me wonder what was behind there...)

I do think that flocked wallpaper would be bad in a 2 story area, if only because the flocked areas would serve as lovely anchoring points for cobwebs!

However, there are some really interesting flocked papers out there that are very different from the gaudy damasks many of us remember from 30-odd years ago. It might be nice in a relatively small dose, like a powder room or (single-story!) foyer.

• newdawn1895
    14 years ago

My mother had that wallpaper (baby blue and beige) in the seventy's in her LR along with those ghastly mirror squares, remember them?

We are probably being too harsh here.

I wouldn't do it Chloesmom.

.....Jane

• chloe_s_mom
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ha ha ha! And damask is exactly what I was leaning towards (not in red and black though.....) - guess that it is a bit much (logistics aside, which is a whole other issue).

I definitely enjoy retro though. And I'd really like something with metalic bits in it (like two of the other wall papers that I've used so far)

In the kitchen nook - the petals are metalic:

And older, less clutter photo:

My hallway (same paper is in the powderoom) - here, the stems are metalic:

• IdaClaire
    14 years ago

Wow, Chloe! I'm usually not one that's wild about wallpaper, but I love what you've done! Very retro cool indeed!

• Happyladi
    14 years ago

My mom put up red flocked wallpaper in the foyer and hallway of the house I grew up in. This was sometime in the 1970's. I always hated it. She grew to dislike it and finally removed it about 10 years ago.

• lacombe
    14 years ago

Oh ,boy I hope this wallpaper isn't coming back again,I also remember it from the 1970s too. Thats just like the long shag rugs that everyone had and you had to have a shag rake to rake it, that is soo funny.

• chloe_s_mom
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I LOVE shag rugs! Almost as much as I loved the coiled rope rug (orange and white) that my grandmother had in her family room (alas, it was ruined in a flood).

Here's the wallpaper in my diningroom - subtle metalic stripes:

• palimpsest
    14 years ago

I think because you are using some elaborate papers as a counterpoint to a reduced palette, it could work well in your house. Flock is the opposite of foil, being completely non reflective. Taken in the context of "oh my mom had it in her typically decorated 70 house"...yeah ok whatever, yuck. But that is not how you are working with papers in your house at all.

• OllieJane
    14 years ago

When I was looking for wallpaper for my bathrooms in this new house, I did see some flocked wallpaper-only in the very high end books though. I like it, and I do think it is coming back in certain type of homes. I grew up with it also, red and gold flocked wp in our hall bath! I've heard the "old stuff" was a booger to get off, but the new stuff, I'm sure is made of better materials to take off.

Very elegant looking, IMO.

• chloe_s_mom
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I've enjoyed the comments everyone!

If my current wallpaper is any indication, I'll have no trouble removing a flocked wallpaper - my current stuff keeps coming loose at the seams!!! I'm one step away from using a staple gun....

Palimpsest - I saw some wallpaper online that had a metalic background, fuzzy velvet pattern. It spoke to me :)

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

The flocked paper has been coming around again for some time, in more modern settings.

I would have dust a problem with it, especially in some areas of the house, and wouldn't want the added maintenance or concern. If you have allergies, it might not be the best choice, either. Especially in a bedroom. Depends on your house and activity, though. Might not be an issue for some.

• TxMarti
    14 years ago

chloe_s_mom, I just love what you have done with your house. I can't really see flocked with it though unless it was a really mod looking one. I wouldn't want to be the one hanging wallpaper in a stairwell. I have enough trouble with an 8' wall.

• chloe_s_mom
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thanks marti8a. Funny, I was just asking DH how scaffolding on a curved staircase would work....Bec I'd really need to get right up to the top (no paintbrush on a pole for a wallpapering job!)

Good points re dust. I find that cat hair clings to a bare wall as it is. On the bright side, the higher up bits of wallpaper wouldn't get damaged by kids' dirty fingers....and toys scraping the walls after being launched down the stairwell.

I just can't picture me enjoying a solid colour on that wall, and the painted stripes on my livingroom wall would be fun, but again, hard to do bec of the height of the stairwell (plus, I've already done stripes). I wonder if a couple of large wall paper panels (mounted to plywood or something) would give me the patterns that I want. I can't see running a chair rail and then wall papering below it

If you look closely, you can see the large horizontal tone on tone stripes in my LR (and the too small area rug - I'm trying to stop the chairs from sliding down the hallway, while I figure out either a good underpad for the hide rug, or, follow my heart and acquire a silky shag rug - hee hee hee!)

• TxMarti
    14 years ago

Oh I love your stripe! The wallpaper on a panel sounds like a good idea. You could apply it on a level surface where it's easier. I wonder if you could put it on something lightweight like a piece of foam insulation or painter's canvas?

• sunnyca_gw
    14 years ago

No suggestions for what to do up the stairwell but you said your seams are coming loose. Are you using a wooden roller & rolling them? I find the large brush a waste of time. I use a damp clean rag & feel with my fingertips to see if it is smooth. The little roller is about 1 1/2 -2 in. wide, it's not here & too tired to go get it. I also once got wallpaper seam repair stuff- you can't even sand it off when you go to redo it. What works well for me is Elmer's Glueall as it sticks & I just finished my folks master bath & the walls were painted then mom got a border for around the top & it has uneven edge at bottom & the prepasted paste didn't always stick. I just used toothpick & Glueall & it worked beautifully. Dad likes to take hot showers. I did wait 30 days as I read on painting forum that BM paints need 30 days to cure & so they don't "skin" so worked out well & nothing got skinned up!!

• chloe_s_mom
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Good points re applying the wallpaper, Sunnyca. I didn't let some paint cure in the kitchen, and it really did come off, like skin :( I did use a roller, but have little experience, so may have left it too long when booking the paper etc. the paper that wasn't prepasted is really stuck on there, it is the prepasted type that is gentling rolling off. I wonder if the wallpaper repair stuff is water soluble? I once worked very hard to remove VINYL FLOORING that had been run up a bathroom wall. Sanded like a maniac. Gave up, used beadboard to cover it. Only to discover that the adhesive was most likely water soluable....

Here's a link to a FAUX flocked wallpaper, in a style that speaks to me:
    Elizabeth Yellow Faux Flocked retro modern damask wallpaper"