SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardengrl66

beeswax and mineral oil for counters?

gardengrl66 z5
12 years ago

Hello all,

Our teak countertops were just installed and I am planning to finish them with a beeswax/mineral oil blend. My reasoning (please comment):

1. We plan to cut, knead dough, and generally use these countertops for food prep

2. The other half of the kitchen is soapstone and I figure I can make this finish work for those countertops too

2a. I know for soapstone you can use straight mineral oil, but wax lasts longer. No idea what is in those proprietary soapstone waxes (like Dorado) so if beeswax will work, I am more comfortable with it seeping into my dough etc.

3. This combination has seemed to work well for other GWers who cut directly on their countertops.

Here's a pic of the unfinished counter:

{{!gwi}}

And a detail on the butcherblock area:

{{!gwi}}

Now. I am getting nervous because the countertops are a considerable investment and I don't want to screw anything up. My questions are:

1. What is the right ratio? I've seen everything from 50/50 to 2:1 mineral oil:beeswax.

2. How, exactly, does one apply this stuff? My contractor, who is great, has never done this and it makes him nervous too. Slop it on with a cotton cloth, let sit, and buff out (with what)?

3. Anyone want to put in an argument for something other than this mineral oil/beeswax combo?

Appreciate any advice - you all are so great!

Comments (6)