SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
arbpdl

2 LONG Days of Painting

arbpdl
12 years ago

So I closed at 11 a.m. on Friday and by 1 we had ladders set up and were ready to start painting!

The first room to start was my daughters' room - my 4 year old and 11 year old are sharing. Not ideal, but the best combo I could do. It went like a charm - a lighter (but not pale) pink. The theme here is, unless they change their minds again, black, cream and pink "Paris" theme centering around fashion. Drapes are black, bed throws are black/cream damask, we'll do some wall sketches of the Eiffel Tower and some vintage dress sketches.

I them went to my room - Laura Ashley Old Gold #6. Much browner than I expected ... not really so much gold at all, more of a warm chocolate. I like it though, even though it wasn't what I was going for. I did one coat and it's going to take at least one more, maybe two. Sad, because I wanted to move my bed over tomorrow.

Next came my older daughter's room. I've no clue what the theme here is because whenever I ask, she gives me the 16 year old eye roll and says oh mom. Anyway, the paint she requested is a knock your socks off bottle green. Wow. Can't wait to see what she's going to do with that. It also will require two coats. No surprise ... it's dark and intense.

The hall, stairs and living room are a nice golden tan. Can't recall the name right off, but I like it. I've had problems with gold in the past always looking too orange or too yellow. This time I found the perfect gold swatch and then went one row towards the brown side. It looked to brown on the swatch but on the walls it's golden without being yellow. It's mostly done well with one coat but there are a few lights spots here and there. I think I'll throw a second coat on anyway just to catch those and even it all out.

When I showed everyone (meaning my grown kids, my sister, my bf and the friends helping) the kitchen paint they all gave me that "oh my" look. Wow, really want to go that bold/dark/dramatic/RED? Yeah, I do.

So, we painted until late last night and no one went near the kitchen. No one even went near the cans of red paint. They all grabbed the other colors and went to town.

I started to doubt myself but held on the the knowledge that I'd thought long and hard about my bold/dark/dramatic/RED kitchen and stayed brave.

Today, no one showed up to help so I popped open that red and went to town. Guess what? I LOVE LOVE LOVE it. Yes it's bold and dramatic and dark but it's also cozy and warm and elegant. The shade is Bankock Rust (from the Waverly paint collection) - not a rust at all but more of a warm, weathered red. Barn red I suppose, but not quite. It makes my cheap flat panel oak cabinets and beige builders grade appliances look so much nicer. I can't wait to hang the large brass chandelier (that everyone proclaimed gaudy and outdated). Of course now it's spray painted satin black and may even get a few bling crystals after it's up. LOL, I love $10 junk store bargains.

One more day with helpers should get it, or 2 to 3 of doing it by myself, four year old in tow.

Comments (6)