SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
equest17_gw

1925 bungalow exterior painted; tying it all together?

equest17
12 years ago

I posted a few months ago about trim colors for the exterior of my old brick bungalow. We were planning to do shake siding on the dormer at the time, but we got a great quote on repairing the existing clapboards (and all the fascia and trim that needed work) from our painters, so we went with that. I struggled with paint colors and did plenty of testers to find something that worked with the brick. I used SW Link Gray for the siding and SW Rice Grain for the trim.

Before

After

After

After (in the late afternoon sun)

After all the fussing with paint color samples, the siding still isn't exactly what I pictured 100% of the time. In cloudy or indirect light, it's just right. But it gets a bit washed out and blueish in direct sun. It's unlikely I would have found a color that was perfect in all light because of the various exposures, but I was hoping for a bit more green during the strong daylight.

I think I need to tie the siding color to the brick with some accents of each interposed on the other. I'm planning to build some window boxes with brackets for the upper triple windows on the dormer and gable ends, and I'm thinking those could be painted brick red. Then, maybe I could find (or paint) some large planters the same blue-gray-green of the siding for the front porch steps. I think this would provide the visual connection between the colors that is missing right now.

Window box idea, but closer to my brick color:

Glazed blue-green planter examples:

I'm still shaping and amending the foundation beds, but there will be weeping holly, abelia, and a mass planting of Calisto Indian Hawthorne on each side of the steps. The Calisto has a deep, almost blue-green leaf, so I think that will also help bridge the house palette.

What do you think? Any suggestions or other ideas?

Here is a link that might be useful: Calisto Indian Hawthorn pic

Comments (8)