SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
publickman

Canadian Design terms from HGTV

Lars
9 years ago

My favorite show on HGTV is Love It or List It with David and Hillary. I do not watch the West Coast version, as it is a poor imitation of the original IMO.

Anyway, I am constantly amused by various terms and sayings that seem to me to be Canadian, although they may also be used in the Northern US, since I am not familiar with that area. One thing I find curious is how they like to make so many terms plural, and I am talking more about the home owners than the stars. Here are some things I have heard that seem to use unnecessary plurals:
"I don't like the sounds of that."
"I like the floors in this bathroom," (a room with only one floor).
"This house is in move-in conditions."
"Holy smokes." - probably a common usage, but unfamiliar to me.
There are more, but those are what I remember at the moment. This use of plurals seems to me to be indicative to Canadian generosity, and so I do find it somewhat charming.

Other terms that sound strange to me are "Open Concept" instead of "Open Floor Plan", and referring to a patio door as a "walk-out" - it's a door!! I crack up every time I hear David say "You have a walk-out to the patio" when all he means is that there is a door. This might be real estate terminology to make something sound fancier.

David also has a bad habit of saying things like "You can never have enough storage" instead of "You can never have too much storage." I find the idea of never being able to have enough storage to be quite unsettling. I don't think he pays attention to what he is saying, but I like him anyway! (Note I do not use the term "anyways", which I do not consider to be a word.) I also like Hilary a lot and watch episodes multiple times. (I have not noticed as many quirks in Hilary as I have in David.) Kevin (my brother) says that he thinks we have seen the inside of every house in Toronto by now.

Some Canadian terms may have migrated there from UK or Europe, but I don't get to watch as many British shows. Vancouver is one of my favorite cities, and if I did not live in LA., I would want to live there, although immigration is somewhat of an issue, but I would have no problem speaking Canadian, after a while.

Are there more Canadian design terms that I need to know about?

Lars

Comments (44)

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus