SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pipdog_gw

Minimalist style - possible to be family friendly?

Pipdog
10 years ago

The thread on book shelves and what we put in them got me thinking about different design directions and minimalist design.

I was struck my minimalist design last year when we visited the Stahl House, a mid-century case study house in the Hollywood Hills. The home is made up almost entirely of glass, and the views of Los Angeles are breathtaking. The home felt liberating and really appealed to us. It was then that we re-focused our home search on a place with a view and a place where we could get back to a more simple design.

For our new home, we are going minimalist. The walls will all be gallery white. The floors will be a blonde color and there will be walnut wood cabinets thoughout the house, but mostly, we are going for a very simple, almost barren, look.

I'm curious to know what others think of this style. Do you like it? Why or why not? Is it possible for a minimalist space to be comfortable and family friendly?

Here are some examples of minimalist design:

Modern Living Room by San Francisco Architects & Designers John Maniscalco Architecture

Midcentury Living Room

Midcentury Living Room by San Jose General Contractors Flegel's Construction Co., Inc.

Midcentury Living Room by San Francisco Interior Designers & Decorators Gary Hutton Design

Modern Living Room by San Francisco Architects & Designers John Maniscalco Architecture

Contemporary Bedroom by London Interior Designers & Decorators Kia Designs

Contemporary Kitchen by Sydney Kitchen & Bath Designers MINOSA

Modern Living Room by Other Metro Kitchen & Bath Fixtures Leicht Küchen AG

Modern Living Room by Redondo Beach Design-Build Firms ras-a, inc.

Midcentury Living Room by Carmel Architects & Designers Studio Schicketanz

Midcentury Kitchen by San Jose General Contractors Flegel's Construction Co., Inc.

Midcentury Living Room by Brooklyn Architects & Designers Leone Design Studio

Contemporary Living Room by New York Photographers Michel Arnaud

Contemporary Bedroom by New York Photographers Michel Arnaud

Contemporary Kitchen by New York Architects & Designers TURETT COLLABORATIVE ARCHITECTS

This post was edited by pipdog on Fri, Nov 15, 13 at 20:59

Comments (21)

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus