SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux_gw

Kitchen redo, flying a little blind

mtnrdredux_gw
10 years ago

We are under contract on a beachhouse, and it needs a new kitchen!

Good news is, it is a quite large rectangle, with a separate butler's pantry.

Bad news is I have no measurements and only 2 photos of the main kitchen. Not sure when i can access the property, as it is rented for much of the time until Columbus Day, when we close on it. I am in a hurry though because I want all the work done before next spring.

First I will describe the kitchen and then what my current thinking is. The kitchen is in a 1906 Dutch Colonial, and is currently very humble. This will be a summer home and I want to keep it humble, but make it, shall we just say, a bit prettier?

View 1:
{{gwi:1840674}}

The doorway on the left leads to a butler's pantry and then the DR. The butler's pantry has a sink and d/w on the left as you enter, under a window. To the right is shelf space, counterspace (with a m/w) and a cabinet similar to the one you see in the main kitchen.

In the main kitchen, there is a motley line up of appliances starting with the white fridge you see in the top left. I can't recall too well but there is a range, a dry sink (?), a washer and dryer (?) and a few other things! If i had to guess I'd say the room is maybe 14x 18?

The stove you see head on is nonfunctioning and "decorative". It will go!

The doorway to the right is to the hall. The dish cabinet is built in and will stay.

In this second photo, you see two doors on the left. The first is a pantry, the second is a PR and maid's room. To the right of the window is a door to a screened porch mudroom entry.

{{gwi:1580720}}

All of the furniture is included in the purchase. I would remove the dresser thing you see in the second photo. As for the "picnic" table, I am not sure. Maybe I will try it.

My goal for the room is: Unfitted 1906-y kitchen. No countertops per se, no built in cabs or upper cabs. No tile backsplashes and no countertops and no pot lights. In short, almost none of what we typically use today! The house currently rents by the week in the summer, and I want to renovate with an eye toward possibly renting it when we travel or are otherwise not using it. So, for example, a true vintage stove might not be a good idea if people dont know how to use it. Generally, Id like to try to keep the renovation under 50k.

My current thoughts:
B/W checkboard floor
Big chill fridge and stove, in white
Double drainboard sink, skirted
Oversized Boos butcher block
a small buffet where the stove is now; for a coffeemaker and toaster
F/P tall drawers, one in kitchen and one in BP; some sort of facing?
leave the woodwork and paint the walls and soft grayish turquoise

I will post a floorplan when I can ... any preliminary thoughts, ideas?

Here is a link that might be useful: Similar to this, putting aside color and leg style

This post was edited by mtnrdredux on Fri, Aug 30, 13 at 9:39

Comments (36)