SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
saramae585_gw

Would you choose this Pendant????

saramae585
15 years ago

You have all been such a big help with the decisions I've been stuck on so far so here we go again!!

Lighting...

These are my cabinets:

This is my granite:

This is my floor:

Our appliances are stainless

I love this pendant:

My dilemma is that I will have ORB (oil rubbed bronze) everywhere else. Door knobs, other lighting , etc. Would you choose this pendant ( I need 5 in the kitchen) even though it won't match the other fixtures and the chandelier in the eat-it area? They are in direct view of each other.

The chandelier that I am considering does have a matching pendant that I like but don't love:

What would you do?

AT this point I am so overwhelmed I can't seem to make any decisions! I'm so thankful I found all of you!

Thanks, Sara

Comments (27)

• gglks
    15 years ago

i this it would look great....not too matchy. the shade on the pendant actually blends well with the hardwood floors and the black wire seems like it would tie in with the black on the other lighting.....

what is your granite??? i love it. also, do you have a 585 area code???? that's where i am??

• malhgold
    15 years ago

I don't like that pendant with your choices. I think the swirliness and color of the pendant clashes with your granite and with the chandelier. It's not the stainless with ORB that bothers me, it's really the glass part of the pendant. I do like the pendant that matches the chandelier. What don't you like about it? I'm all for mixing and matching, but to me it also depends how close the lighting is going to be to eachother.

BTW...I love your granite(od which I'm not usually a granite fan). What kind is it?

• Related Discussions

struggling with choosing LED pendant light choices

Q

Comments (5)
    If the fixtures you're considering use the A19 standard bulb type, the deciding factors would come down to build quality, design and style. The brand name does play a part in the pricing. A track system is convenient way to ensure that the lights all line up, but the style and cost may not make sense. I think getting the correct style that suits your family is just as important as raw light output.
    ...See More

Rethinking my island pendant lights - help me choose.

Q

Comments (13)
    Well, it sounds like schoolhouse pendant wins!! Definitely in pewter? Is brushed nickel ok? (one manufacturer I'm looking at only offers that.) Faucet is chrome but it's the only chrome thing in the room, so that shouldn't make a difference, right? Would the brush nickel coordinate well enough with the appliances? I'd think so, but I'm no finish expert. EEEEE I'm getting so excited! I ordered all the appliances yesterday, should be in in 10 days! And my contractor just sent me a picture of the island in with the new floor!
    ...See More

need help in choosing size of pendant lights!

Q

Comments (2)
    If you have cardboard boxes laying around, I'd choose some that are about these sizes, maybe cut them down or add to the size with part of a paper bag, and literally string them up. There's nothing like a 3-d model to help you make your decision.
    ...See More

what type of pendant lights would you put over my island

Q

Comments (5)
    i just had the same problem, with similar pendants as yours. If you look at my profile, I think you can see what we went with as well as others suggestions. I would say go larger and hang them higher than then your sightline. That made a huge difference for us.
    ...See More
  • lovemcm
    15 years ago

It is a beautiful pendant. What is it about it that you love? The shade? The color, pattern, shape? I did a quick search on ORB pendant lighting, and found a whole bunch of similar lights, although didn't look long enough to see if one with the same or very similar shade exists. Also, I'm not far enough along in kitchen-land to know whether it's kosher to mix finishes like that. But, just for me, if I couldn't find something I loved as much in ORB, I'd be likely to just buy it anyway. Having something you love that makes you smile every time you look at it beats having something you're just OK with, purchased only because the metal finish is consistent. Are you loving the chandelier or just "considering" it? Maybe swap that and keep the pendant?

• redroze
    15 years ago

I think the pendant would look fantastic. It appears to have a black cord that ties in to the black look of the oil-rubbed bronze. Matching finishes in all your light fixtures looks a bit too staged for my tastes. The chandelier you are considering is neutral enough in terms of style, that it won't clash with the pendants.

• saramae585
    Original Author
    15 years ago

gglks, yes I'm in 585. Spencerport, where are you? Small world!
    The granite is called Titanium. It was installed Friday and I love love love it! That picture I posted is a close up. When I get a chance I will post some pictures of it installed.
    Thanks for your opinions. I am willing to change the chandelier, that was just one that I liked.

• boxiebabe
    15 years ago

Sorry, I don't think it works with your dining light - especially since you say that they're all in plain view of one another. But if you love this pendant, why not try to find a dining light that is a little closer to it?

• janran
    15 years ago

I'm having a similar dilemma. In fact, today I'm picking up the 3 pendants I ordered for my peninsula. They're plain white and my table is about 5 feet away from them. I am totally stuck.

But here's what I'm thinking; maybe it will help you. I don't think a chandelier with multiple glass shades will look good with pendants. Too many glass shades in one place. I don't like matched sets. And if they're too similar, it looks like you tried to match, but didn't quite do it. Mine are satin nickel as are my cabinet hardware. I'll probably stick with it or black - but I don't think the chandelier needs to be the same finish as pendants.

That being said, I LOVE the pendants, but I don't think they chandelier works with them. Keep the pendants, IMO. I'm thinking in your case (and mine) that you need to do something totally different for the chandelier - inverted pendant, crystal, drum.

• midorismom
    15 years ago

I think that it doesn't match, in my opinion I would keep the chandelier and the pendant that matches. I also have a similar situation I had to put two pendants, a dining light, a kitchen light, and the over the sink light in a very small area. I ended up finding matching fixtures that I love, and I don't usually like being so matchy matchy, but I find myself loving them all together. I put a pendant over the sink, two pendants at the counter, a small chandelier with 6 lights in the dining area and am still contemplating the middle kitchen light. I have what we call a "boob" light or a track light to decide on...and love both! And I really thought the style would be too much for the small space...it has branches and leaves...but its not too overpowering. So, in my opinion and from experience go with matching. Good luck!

• twogirlsbigtrouble
    15 years ago

The pendant is beautiful. It would give it a more eclectic look I think, not sure if you were going for that. Looks like it matches great with the HW floors. And if you have SS appliances, it should mix well. If we had pics of the space it might help ;)

• rmkitchen
    15 years ago

I love the pendant but, as I'm picturing it in my mind's eye, am concerned it will look odd / clash with the chandelier.

I guess it really all depends if the eye will see them all at once, or if there's enough separation so they'll each be in their own space .... Hmm.

I look forward to seeing pictures of your kitchen!

• pbrisjar
    15 years ago

I like the pendant but don't think it goes with your granite. Do they have it in other colors? From my monitor that yellow just feels wrong with the granite and your floor.

It definitely clashes with that chandelier.

• patricianat
    15 years ago

I think it is fine and gives the room that little bit of "I liked it, it's wonky, but it's the right wonky."

• igloochic
    15 years ago

I'm goingto disagree and say that to me...it says "I liked it, it's wonky, and it's really the wrong wonky but I did it anyhoo" It's too competitive to the granite (which is smashing) and too close to the tigerwood floor in it's texture. I would do the last pendant you posted which looks well with the cabinets (because the white is echoed in them). The chandelier also flows well with your choices...but the pendants you want...they're lovely, but wrong for the mix...sorry :(

• gglks
    15 years ago

funny how you can get so many different opinions. i agree with someone who said mixing the different lighting would look "eclectic". if you aren't going for that look then i would reconsider.....

also, we are in bushnells basin area!!!! where did you go to get your granite???? not much selection around here!!!!

• saramae585
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well now my head is spinning even more!
    So after listening to all of you maybe it is not the pendant for me. Igloochic, your comments registered with me. Maybe it does compete with the granite. After all that is my focal point in the kitchen and I don't want to take away from it.
    gglks, right down the street huh? Funny. We found the granite at North American Stone on East Ridge Road. They are wonderful! I can't say enough good things.
    I looked around some more. What do you think about these?

• lazydm
    15 years ago

can definitely see why you love the pendants. think they're "way fun" and i would do it in a minute. which takes me to the next step....would you mind sharing who makes them and also info on your flooring?

thanks so much and hope you share your final decision with us.

• sally123
    15 years ago

I love your candelier--where did you find it? I, too, am not wild about the matching pendants. It seems that your counter and chandelier are similar enough in color that you could go in a different direction with your pendants, but I don't think that direction should include another pattern. Your wonderful granite ought to hold center stage there, but you could easily introduce a bright pop of color in your pendants--red, maybe?

You should understand, though, that this is advice I would probably never follow because I am not daring enough. Maybe when it comes to picking pendants someone here will talk me into doing something fun. If I ever get to the point of picking pendants.

• saramae585
    Original Author
    15 years ago

lazydm, this is the info on the pendant:
    Thomas Lighting M2634 Art Deco / Retro Single Light Down Light / Task Focused Pendant with Hand-Blown Agate Glass from the Mineral Series Collection
    I'll attach a link.
    The floors are Golden Tigerwood. No one seems to know much about them so I was nervous ordering them. They are so beautiful we decided to put them in the whole house! I will definately post pictures when it's done!

Here is a link that might be useful: Pendants

• saramae585
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Sally.
    Here's a linky

Here is a link that might be useful: Chandelier

• kateskouros
    15 years ago

i like the pendant, but not with the counter choice. while it does blend nicely with the hardwood floor, you're not trying to get something that goes with the floor, but with the granite. i agree with malhgold... it clashes.

• redroze
    15 years ago

I'm kind of surprised that everyone is saying that the pendant clashes with the granite. Maybe I'm not getting something here? The granite looks very subdued in colour (greenish-black with white swirls on my monitor) and the movement has peaceful waves. Hmmm...maybe it's the movement of the granite clashing against the wildness of the pendants? That would make sense. GWers are usually on the ball about this type of thing.

Okay, I think if you wanted to pop a bright punchy colour in the pendants, maybe you could do an amber colour but without the wavy pattern in them. Keep the pendants small though since you're doing 5 of them. Similar to this kitchen with purple pendants but you'd do them in amber:
    {{!gwi}}

But honestly, any simple ORB pendant would work as well, especially if you have your heart set on the chandelier.

• pbrisjar
    15 years ago

I like that second set. Very nice.

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    15 years ago

Second set is way cool!!! Are the whites of the glass close to the white in the cabs?

• lascatx
    15 years ago

I like the second set.

• igloochic
    15 years ago

I love the second pendants, but the chandelier didn't wow me to death. (The pendants did though). Are they right on top of each other? If so, matching is good...but if not, I'd shake up the chandelier a bit but keep the same fixture metals. I do love the most recent pendants though...lovely eclectic style, and they'll compliment both the granite and the cabinets.

I had the strong opinion on the floor/pendants...because I'm doing the same floor in my family floor (DS bedroom and family room). It's TO DIE FOR!!! My contractor told me to quit playing with it (I take boards out to show people and take them home) heh heh he say's I'll have it all gone before he installs.

• ccoombs1
    15 years ago

What about buying the pendant just to get your hands on that shade, and then getting a cheaper pendant that will accept that glass? Take the shade with you to lighting stores and also the big box stores. I know Lowes sells pendants with no shades so you can pick your own.

• cathyinbothell
    15 years ago

I think the second set is a classier (but I guess also a "safer") choice. The pendants you like are interesting but I, too, think they would look off balance with your gorgeous granite.