Has anybody done any Xmas decorating??

johnatemp
16 years ago

Wanna share???

Smiles:)

Comments (47)

• Jamie
    16 years ago

I decorated a little tree for a charity. A vendor supplied the "regulation" trees. It had to be delivered last week. The big trees were all submitted by professionals, except one that was laden with the original framed artwork of a bunch of high schools students. It was fantastic. The one I might try to mimic was, well, picture that part of a paint deck where the reds morph into the purples at one end, and regress into hot, hot oranges at the other. It was amazing.

• cattknap
    16 years ago

You mean CHRISTmas decorating?

• Related Discussions

Some pictures of Xmas porch decorations, etc.

Q

Comments (17)
    Clare!!! Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Thank you for such a geat Christmas tour at your home!!! Your efforts have made a wonderful Holiday experience for us all. You are the 'Christmas' bomb girl!!!!!!!!!!!! I especially love all kinds of trash to treasure endeavors! Your wheelbarrow is so charming!!!!! We had an old metal wheelbarrow that needed a front wheel. I got a discarded child's small bike wheel (a tricycle wheel would have been even better, but what'a ya gonna do? Free is Free. I couldn't just knock on the door and ask if they had it in a different size.). Then I tore the rubber tire off of the spoked rim. You'll need one of those darned men with his 'Man tools' to help remove the center of the wheel if you do it this way. I spray painted it white, then ran a rod through the middle and attached it to the wheelbarrow cart. I'll post a pic soon because it really made a huge difference to my old metal cart. It would make your wooden cart even nicer. I bet you did work for months on the Venician plaster it looks so rich!!! Great idea to toughen up the heavy traffic areas. Loved the glow when the lights were turned down low. The fresh greenery is wonderful on the door. The ice skates brought back memories of my childhood immediately. It was all so lovely. Susie
    ...See More

Xmas decor:Anyone else feeling that less is more this year?

Q

Comments (62)
    I am also one who has enjoyed reading this thread. I have gotten rid of a lot of my Christmas decorations...and I was one the used to put a tree in every room (including the bathrooms), but have cut waaaayyy back....mostly because of health problems and a DH who does not "decorate"....so the outside lights are not put out anymore....because in this cold Kansas weather, it was me out there in January taking them down. I put wreaths with red bows in the windows, along with battery operated candles and a big wreath on the front door. I only put up a smaller tree in the LR and one in the basement family room where we all gather on Christmas to exchange gifts.....and of course, do decorate the fireplace mantle and I use a lot of bright red poinsettias scattered around. I always put out my grouping of singing carolers...they are so ugly that they are cute...and of course, never leave out the two nativity scenes that mean so much to me. When I looked through all of my boxes of decorations, I just kept telling myself.....what you take up from the basement has to come back down....and with my bad knees, it didn't take me long to just leave them there. I do believe that less is more...too many decorations doesn't give the eye a place to rest and gives the "cluttered" look. However you chose to decorate, I hope that each of you and your family have a very Merry Christmas and I hope that 2009 will be a better year for all of us.
    ...See More

What baking have you done so far for xmas?

Q

Comments (19)
    So far I haven't baked any thing. I will for sure make Wedding Cakes and Spritz. A couple more after I look through my recipes and decide which ones to make. Susan, if you check back in here, I have a question about freezing your pecan pies. I'm thinking you pour the filling into the crust and freeze it; not freeze just the filling, right? Sounds like a great idea. Think I will try that. Thanks for the idea. Sue
    ...See More

Xmas mantel decoration inspirations

Q

Comments (54)
    Yes we do! My actual library chairs are in my office because of naughty kitties. They will not stay out of the fireplace and they keep tracking soot all through the house. I can only imagine soot prints all over my new chairs so they have been banished to the office until I can find a cat proof solution to them getting in the fp. Toby is the Hoss Cartwright of cats so I can't imagine how he squeezes his chunky self into that tiny space.
    ...See More
  • johnatemp
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Jamies, what a beautiful tree. It looks wonderful :)

Yes, I do mean CHRISTmas decorating (lazy typist). Put out my nativity set today :) Come on Cattknap, I know you have got some goodies you have done!!

SMiles:)

• natal
    16 years ago

Very pretty tree!

I'm going to live vicariously through all of you this year. Be the second year in a row with no decorating. I'll NEVER remodel again, lol!

And let's not criticize shorthand. That's life on the internet.

~from a past year...

• IdaClaire
    16 years ago

Re "Xmas" -

The use of "X," derived from Chi, the Greek alphabet initial, as an abbreviation for Christ (most commonly in the abbreviation "Xmas") is often misinterpreted as a modern secularization of the term. Thus understood, the centuries-old English word Xmas, is actually a shortened form of CHmas, which is, itself, a shortened form for Christmas. In fact, the use of "X" to represent the full word goes back to the earliest days of Greek Christianity.

• bonniee818
    16 years ago

Hi johnatemp.....I have put up my 9and a half ft. pre-lit Christmas tree in the FR and the garland on the balcony & staircase. Also decorated a tree for my DH's office space upstairs. I haven't snapped any pics yet as I have been busy with work & Thanksgiving cooking but will soon. Can't wait to see everyone's pics!
    Bonnie

• mrstan1234
    16 years ago

Thanks auntjen - very informative.

• les917
    16 years ago

I see Auntjen beat me to it in the explanation of the 'x'.

At Easter, you often seen the Chi Rho, or the letter that looks like a 'P' with an 'x' crossed over it. Our minister taught that in the Greek easter tradition, eggs are dyed blood red (as a symbol of Christ's sacrifice) and then the Chi Rho is painted on them. He used to make enough of them (hundreds) for every member of our congregation, hand them out at the Easter service. Then, again in Greek tradition, you were supposed to crack the hard-boiled eggs on the heads of family and friends. It was considered a blessing the longer your egg lasted!

No winter holiday decorations here. It is still fall, just Thanksgiving time. Nothing will go up until a week or so before the 25th.

• threedgrad
    16 years ago

I put up the Christmas tree tonight with the lights but no ornaments yet. Looks good! It is actually in the kitchen this year.

Last year's location:

This year the tree is to the right of this dividing wall.

• blue_velvet_elvis
    16 years ago

DH is thoughtful and sweet and always tries to be helpful. DD's 16th bday and party were yesterday and he knew I wanted to have it down in the media room. He also knew we couldn't because he'd filled it to the rafters with his tools and building things to finish the guest room, half bath and far wall.
    I came home from work on Sunday to find that not only had he cleaned the room out but also set up our Christmas tree. So, DD had a Christmas tree as a guest at her party. Good thing, as we had our first snow and with the combination of the snow and it being the day before Thanksgiving and most of her friends working at grocery stores, only had 3 of the ten people show up. She still seemed to have a blast.

Anyway, I'll post a picture later. I still have to find and load software on this new laptop for my camera.

• cattknap
    16 years ago

I really wasn't criticizing - it is a pet peeve of mine to not use the whole name for Christmas....just poking you in the ribs - I know you meant to harm.

I can't even think of Christmas at this point. I sort of resent all the hype about Christmas that begins earlier and earlier each year.......I have read that advertising for Christmas shopping has started earlier than ever this year because retailers expect a slow year...I've been hearing Christmas carols on the radio and in stores for weeks, I've seen poinsettias in the stores for 2 weeks now and tons of advertising about Christmas sales since the beginning of November...it just sort of turns me off - buy, buy, buy....I'm hanging on to Fall and November for a few more days and then I'll start thinking of Christmas.

I like the way many people celebrated Christmas during the Victorian era - Christmas was all about children - the tree was brought in and decorated after the kids went to sleep - now that sounds fun.

We are coming off of 6 weeks of traveling for different family events - our son was sworn into the Navy in the Bay area (So. Cal) (he will enter the JAG program next year), my MIL's 90th birthday party (in another state), another son's wedding (in another state) and I and my friend did all the flowers for the wedding and reception - even the bouquets and boutonnières, then an open house reception a week later at our house for our son and his bride (that was last Saturday)....my friends and I cooked all the food for 100 people...more cooking today...I guess I'm just tired out...nope, can't think of Christmas right now, sorry (and I do love Christmas).

• cattknap
    16 years ago

LOL - I can't type - I meant to say "I know you meant no harm" not "I know you meant to harm"....told you I was tired.

• acoreana
    16 years ago

It begins tomorrow! :)

Can't wait...heck, if I end up home alone later on tonight I might start early.

Wonderful job on that little tree. I'm tempted to try a little tree in an urn this year. I've got to remember where I put that urn...

• cindyxeus
    16 years ago

I didn't put anything up yet, but I just bought a new nativty tea lite set from Partylite and it came yesterday.
    I fell in love with it the second I saw it but it was rather expensive. I got lucky and won it at less than half price! It's going to match my every day bronze decor really nice in my family room.

• mry193
    16 years ago

Cattknap, I need to take a 'knap' after just reading all you have been doing these last few weeks! I have (had) the same spelling pet peeve but after reading Auntjen's and les's explanations I think I can now get over it. :)
    Once again I have learned something here -- and this time it had nothing to do with decorating!
    Oh yeah ... have I done any Xmas decorating? No - not yet, need to do something with all the pumpkins first. :D

• cattknap
    16 years ago

There are some people that own a home near us that display tons of pumpkins every year during Oct/November.....in December they spray paint them white and they become Christmas decorations, LOL.

• IdaClaire
    16 years ago

I'll admit I'm a bit depressed just thinking about getting the Christmas decor out. That's because I have a new kitten in the house, and he, along with my 3 very rambunctious adult boys and 2 disapproving adult females, will just make an absolute mess of things I'm sure. I had forgotten how much energy is wrapped up in the little baby furballs, and Sunny (the newbie) has brought out that same energy in my older guys big time. Right now, they're all careening through the house, knocking into things, grabbing cords as they zoom by, making pillows go every-which-way, scooting pottery pieces so that they're within inches of falling off tables.

I adore this new baby, but having him in the house this Christmas is going to put a huge damper on decorating!

• natal
    16 years ago

Catt, one year my miniature pumpkins survived until Mardi Gras so I sprayed them purple, green, and gold for the parade party we threw.

The early Christmas hype used to get to me too, but the past 2 years I seem oblivious to a lot of it. Maybe it's because the only radio station I listen to now is NPR and I'm not much of a shopper except discounters like TJ Maxx, Marshall's, and Target, so my exposure is limited.

Jen, adopt a less is more mantra this season and make it easier on yourself and those fun-loving kitties, lol. You have such a charming home ... do some outdoor decorating instead if you don't already.

• brutuses
    16 years ago

auntjen, how I can relate. 20 yrs. ago when DH and I were first married we attempted to put up a Christmas tree. At the time we only had 3 cats, but one of them was a sheer terror. She ran up the center of the tree and pulled the entire thing over. By the time Christmas arrived I had no ornaments, just a crooked tree with lights. It looked pretty pathetic. Then we tried the following year with a little table top tree and still no luck Since then we've decorated outside only!! So you kept one of the kittens and the mom, do I have that right? I kind of lost track.

• jgirl_2007
    16 years ago

I put the tree up Monday and the kids and I decorated the tree and house all day Tuesday. I'm an early bird and like to have the house all decorated in time for Thanksgiving. Hopefully the weather will cooperate tomorrow to put out exterior lights and reindeer.

• lindasc
    16 years ago

I have put up all the outside decorations and almost finished with the inside, trying to get it finished so I will not get pushed. Almost have all the gifts bought so then I can do the baking for Christmas.

• momto4boys
    16 years ago

I've got the inside done. TOTALLY against everything I believe in, lol. I prefer to get one holiday out of the wa, before hitting the next. But, my cousin and her family came into town yesterday and will be here till Sunday. We usually decorate day after Thanksgiving and won't be able to because we want to spend as much time with them as we can. The next 3 weekends are crazy busy for us, soooo..it was done a week early.

• daisyadair
    16 years ago

We got the outside lights up, hopefully we'll have the tree up tomorrow night. I do a blue/green christmas every year, because they are my very favorite colors and if any of my neighbors copy me, I will cry, but probably don't have to worry about it:

• deborahnj
    16 years ago

Well for the first time since my DS was born, we are contemplating whether to do a tree this year. He wants to spend the bulk of his college break in NJ. To say I'm disappointed is a gross understatment. Since all of our family is in NY/NJ, I'm really struggling with putting up a tree. Since DS will be in NJ with our family, we most likely will spend Christmas there. I think I will do a bit of decorating in the house but right now my heart really isn't in it. This was the downside of relocating that I knew was going to be the most difficult.

• threedgrad
    16 years ago

Debora, put up a little tree like a tabletop so there is Christmas without too much work.

• deborahnj
    16 years ago

Threegrad, we do have two small tabletop trees that we always put up in addition to the very large main tree. So those 2 items may be it this year. Thanks for the suggestion and I promise to keep you posted on final decision.

• mry193
    16 years ago

Deborah, for three years I did not put up a tree, only a few special decorations. Youngest kids were in college, had 2 kittens, and only had my family here for couple hours on Christmas Morning so I decided to 'take some time off'. Now, I have 4 grandkids under 5 with another on the way so I am back in full swing with tree, nativity, lights, santa. Guess what I'm trying to say is hang in there, it's one part in the life cycle. Enjoy your holidays! :)

• vtchewbecca
    16 years ago

AuntJen - I feel your pain. Our new kitten, Voodoo, is living up to his name with the tree. We put it up early with no ornaments, hoping to get him used to it. Now it is just a piece of cat furniture.

Of course, this got one of iur two older cats, Emmie, into the climbing mood:

Here is our climbing solution, which has worked pretty well, considering the tree is climbed about 20-30 times a day

We're going to "try" ornaments today by wrapping the hooks around the branches so they can't be removed. I'll post a pic when it's finished.

I forget who posted the blue tree - we have the same color scheme! Too funny.

Got to run, Voodoo is once again in the top of the tree.

• lynnencfan
    16 years ago

Hi Everyone - this is my first time posting on the decorating forum - glad I found you guys - I spend most of my time over on the gardening forums. I am busy taking down all my fall decorations today which gets to be more and more everyear. I don't do Halloween but do a pretty elaborate harvest theme. Tomorrow will start Christmas decorating. I pretty much decorate anything that stays still long enough to hang a bow on - lol. The trees pictured so far are very pretty but I have to laugh at the kitten in the tree - here is our new kitten from last year

another one enjoying the Christmas village before it was done

we have 4 cats and so far no major problems - I do decorating in steps to see how they react yaer to year and adjust accordingly. Only one year did I have to remove breakable ornaments from the botton of the trees but they are making the plastic ones so pretty now that they looked fine around the lower part of the tree.

Looking forward to seeing more pictures and getting more ideas. Today while taking down fall I am overdosing on HGTV holiday decorating shows .....

Lynne

• teacats
    16 years ago

Lynne -- Hilarious photos! LOL!

My DH was laughing so hard at your cat sitting amongst the Christmas Village scene ........ "CATZILLA ATTACKS!!"

Chewie:: That Christmas Tree brace/stand is the BEST idea!! You should sell those online to other folks with cat-ravaged Christmas trees! :)

We have four cats here -- and so far -- a Christmas garland has been cat-napped to under the dining room table ......

• acoreana
    16 years ago

LOL! The kitties in the trees are too cute!

Only 1 of my cats has ever shown interest in the tree, and all he does is lay under it...have to vacuum the presents due to it, ugh! But in comparison, I should be thankful, lol.

Welcome Lynne, your first cat could be my Niicah!

Here is a link that might be useful:

• deborahnj
    16 years ago

Mry193, thanks for the kind words of support, I really appreciate it! Nice to know that this is only a phase!

The pictures of the cat in the trees are hilarious!!

• zipdee
    16 years ago

We've started upstairs in the girls room. They found a cute little retro tree .. I remember having one like this as a kid! *LOL* On it are different colored disco balls, we are still looking for a tree topper and have to buy fake snow to cover the base of the tree. We have tons of these icicle garlands, they will be going around each window and across all the shelves.

{{!gwi}}

Jiggle Bell wreath on their bathroom door :

{{!gwi}}

Closer :

{{!gwi}}

The back dormer, we need to hang the icicle garland and find something cute to go on each side of the little tree:
    {{!gwi}}

I bought 8 huge nutcrackers for downstairs this year, the tallest is about three foot tall. I'm trying to figure out the perfect place for them, right now they are marching down the stairs. *LOL*

• cattknap
    16 years ago

zipdee - love your color sense - very fun decorations!

• threedgrad
    16 years ago

I put up two trees this weekend - a 7 foot slim one and my new mini tree.

{{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• thistle5
    16 years ago

I work at a garden center that morphs into Xmas gradually, I've been decorating for the last month (& unpacking, labelling, & repacking Xmas stuff since June). Working there has really honed my home decorating skills, though-now, I make bows, drape any & everything w/ lights, & have an awesome collection of Christmas stuff. I have to keep reminding myself, "my house is NOT a store, I do not need any more Christmas trees". I have 1 full size artificial (yeah, they're soulless & scentless, but they're easy to put up & take down, & if you decorate right, you can't see the tree), 1 4' tabletop dining room tree (last year it was mostly copper, w/ cats & birds). This year, I've added a 4.5' teal tinsel tree for the sunroom/Tiki room & another 4.5' tabletop for the hearth in the kitchen. The kids each have a 14" tinsel tree for their bedroom (& to play with).

I'm turning all outside decorating over to my DH, mostly web lights on the boxwood & icicle lights on the eaves.

I've worked at this place for 3 years, you think I'd be sick of Christmas (& occasionally I am), but I get excited again every year-fresh greenery, awesome ornaments (this year's are super, better than last year & inexpensive), beautiful trees-fresh-cut & artificial-it's hard NOT to get into the spirit...

• vern1
    16 years ago

I've been collecting xmas tree toppers for years so this is the 1st thing I get out every year.

I haven't quite finished the clean up yet though

• vtchewbecca
    16 years ago

Lynne - glad we aren't the only ones with feline tree climbers.

Teacats - the set up was mostly my husband's idea with a few of my suggestions thrown in. My parents are going to try it with their 16 lb cat, who launches himself into the tree - that'll be the real test.

We decorated the tree last afternoon/evening. We took the time to wrap each hook around the limb, so the ornaments do not get dislodged when the kitten climbs. Only two ornaments knocked off after several climbings (they've been securely replaced).

Here are two pictures of the tree:
    During the day - a side view

The kitten is actually in the tree near the top, it's just hard to see him.

During the evening - angled view

The LED lights make it hard to focus on the tree.

• donnar57
    16 years ago

You all have done so much more than me! We just got back from a trip to my MIL's in Missouri. She had a combination of fall Thanksgiving decor with some of her Santa collection already out. She had put her garland around the front porch rails, with lights, but the lights weren't plugged in yet. Then she had pumpkins on the porch too. Funny, but it all looked great together. She said she'd taken advantage of the nicer weather to get that outside. Good thing - on Wednesday, it turned COLD there - we southern Californians were freezing with the 25F temps!

We're going to decorate outside this weekend, and maybe the inside over the next week or so. I'm going to be going in for surgery on the 3rd and won't feel like decorating for about a week afterwards.

DonnaR/CA

• juliann74
    16 years ago

We have done some, here is our living room... We usually just do the living and dining rooms, and some lights outside. I am so in the Christmas spirit this year!

Here is a link that might be useful:

• johnatemp
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I am loving everything I am seeing!! Love all the blue and silver being used.

I had the urge to put up 2 trees this year....one full out decorated with big fat ribbon and one with our family ornaments but I was LAZY and just did one. Just a mish/mash of ornaments but oh, well I love seeing the lights. Besides my DS's tree with his ornaments - he did it and I have the hardest time not fussing with it!! I will get some pics up soon.

These cats are hilarious!!

Cattknap - I understand where you are coming from!! Everything is just so damned "political" now. I always say "Merry Christmas." I also resent the marketing that goes on around the holidays. If I were crafty I wouldn't buy one thing from department stores!! Well, except Toys R Us!!

But, for the first time in a few years I am feeling the Spirit of Christmas!! We lost my father, and he had been very sick before. It is weird how traditions change after losing one of your parents but new traditions will be made!! I am smiling this year!!

So, please keep sharing your beautiful decorations.

SMiles:)

• athomewith3
    16 years ago

I have done a little in my kitchen area and livingroom. I still have more boxes to take down but here is what i have so far.

Just a Christmas plate so far in the kitchen.....

{{!gwi}}

A little plain but Christmasy!!

{{!gwi}}

Can you tell i like decorative plates.....SMILE!!!

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

I even recovered our seats, haha!!!

• daisyadair
    16 years ago

Athomewith3, I love those plates - I might have to steal that idea!
    Zipdee, your girls room is adorable, my favorite colors.

Here's what we did today:

• acoreana
    16 years ago

Anyone else noticing the blue, green, and silver theme going on in this thread? :)

Wonderful trees all around, and I love the tree toppers & decorative plates.

• valley57
    16 years ago

Just finished!

• lynne_melb
    16 years ago

All of the decorations look great.

Threedgrad, I have the same nativity set. I bought it at Marshall Field's (Chicago State street store) in the late 70's. I've never seen anyone else with it.

• threedgrad
    16 years ago

Lynne, I am sure that my mother (or I) bought this Nativity set from State Street Chicago Marshall Fields in the 70's also. She worked there for at least 15 years and I worked there in the early to mid 70's. That is too funny that we both have this set still from the same store purchased during the same years.

I love the blue and silver and glad it is finally back. I have been using blue and silver for the last 30 years or more.

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County