SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tony_james_gw

Single vs double bowl sink - a Singaporean dilemma

11 years ago

Hi all

I've read lots of posts from the super friendly people on this forum regarding the choice of a single vs double bowl sink for the kitchen. The only issue is, I live in Singapore and our kitchens are a little different. For example:

- We do not have dishwashers (no space).

- We do not have prep sinks (no space).

- We do not have garbage disposal units.

- We do not, as a rule, have hot water in the kitchen.

- Our kitchens are small. I've seen smaller, but not by much.

I note that most of the people who love their single bowl sink *seem* to either have a prep sink for rinsing vegetables / washing hands or have a dishwasher which they use for washing dishes. Neither of these apply to me.

I have spent days reading through the various sink combination options and their various advantages and disadvantages. I'm still at a loss deciding what suits my needs best. Here are some random thoughts:

- If I was to use a single bowl, I would need to use a separate dishpan to wash dishes. Space is limited so storing this dishpan when it is not in use is a challenge.

- How do you all dry your dishes? I'd like to air dry as it saves time and effort, but if I put a drying rack in or over the sink, it prevents that side from being used for rinsing vegetables etc.

- I have read about the low divide sinks, but they don't seem able to hold enough water to do a proper wash up for me. They still don't seem like an ideal way to wash larger items like cookie trays either.

- A 50/50 split would render both bowls too small for larger items, but a 60/40 or 70/30 split would mean that the smaller bowl is not big enough for rinsing/drying the dishes.

- A drying rack built as part of the sink itself (I hope you know what I mean) looks attractive, but isn't really useful for other purposes. I need to be able to multitask to use my space effectively.

- Those chopping boards you can put on top of the sink look like a great idea, but again, they prevent you from using that side of the sink for rinsing etc.

If some kind person could offer a little advice to a newbie cook it would be very much appreciated. I really don't want to make a mistake that I grow to hate in the years to come.

Comments (47)

• 11 years ago

We had the same dilemma as you, and after reading everything here we were no closer to finding THE answer. Seems to me the way to ask the question is to only ask it of those who do not have a dishwasher.

In Europe the kitchens are also smaller and DWs not as prevalent. The common method there for drying is a drying rack that sits on the counter with a matching tray underneath it to collect the water. When not drying dishes you'd need to find some place to stash the rack. Now you can have a single bowl or a large/small split which would give you the room you need to wash the larger stuff.

Or, you can do what we decided to do. Take a look at Kohler's Stages sink (link below). Yes, it's big, but it combines sink and prep area together, so actually it's small, and a real space saver.

For hand washing follow this link to Gallery Sinks (very expensive)

http://www.thegalleysink.com/GalleyInAction/

and click on Hand Washing Dishes At The Galley. We are planning to order the hand washing accessories from The Gallery for our Stages if we can make them fit, of otherwise copy the premise. Some one posted the following here awhile back and I copied the text:

"By accident, I found out that the Sterilite 1754 and 1753 15 qt plastic containers fit beautifully on the ledge of the (Stages) sink, allowing you to slide the bin back and forth like the other accessories. It's handy to use as a dishpan, because it's shallower than a regular dishpan, it doesn't block the drain like the regular size dishpan. You can get them at Target."

Here is a link that might be useful: Kohler Stages Video

• 11 years ago

There is also a Kohler sink cast iron called "Smart Divide" that seems to offer the best of both worlds. It has a low divider in the center so you can wash big items without hitting a barrier in the middle and then you can have two sinks for washing dishes. It's attractive, too. Here is a picture for you that was posted on another thread awhile back:

• Related Discussions

Need some advice. Single or double bowl for kitchen sink?

Q

Comments (40)
    Something seems to be missing in EVERY thread about Single vs. Double Bowl sinks. Large single sinks have the space for large items but lack the versatility of having two bowls. Double bowl sinks, regardless of the ratio of the bowls, just aren't big enough for a lot of items. But wait, you can have the best of both worlds IF you have a little space. When planning our kitchen remodel/expansion my wife and I got into the age old one bowl vs. two bowl argument. Our old kitchen had a Kohler Executive Chef double bowl sink. The larger bowl was not big enough for big stuff so I wanted a single bowl - she wanted a double bowl, so here is what I did. I had our KD order a 54" wide, quad door sink base (Medallion) and I put a Blanco Diamond Super Single Bowl (33" X 22") Silgranit Sink (440194) on the left and a Blanco Precis Medium Bowl (13" X 18") Silgranit Sink (440144) on the right. I separated the two sinks by 5" to allow sufficient strength for the granite "Bridge" between the two sinks. I also had 5 groves cut into the "Granite Bridges to allow water to flow between the sinks in the unlikely event someone left the water running in one of the sinks. While it does take some space and a little imagination to accommodate this arrangement I believe it is the best solution to the one vs. two bowl dilemma - we simply LOVE it. Just a comment about the Blanco Silgranit sinks - I cannot ever see us going back to a Stainless Steel or Cast Iron sink - Blanco Silgranit sinks are IMHO the beat sinks available today.
    ...See More

Double or single bowl sink?

Q

Comments (8)
    Single bowl Ticor 4000 (and I am just a regular housewife not a "sales person" haha) I just loved my sink. I was in your position a little over a year ago. I like the way double bowls sort of kept the dirty separate from the clean. but I really didn't like that I did not have room to soak my baking sheets or wash large pots or pans. I decided to go with a single bowl. And I treated myself to a Ticor TR 4000. (see link) The thing that I like the most about this sink is.., well there are lots and lots of things... but most of all the grid at the bottom of the sink allowed me to stack dirty dishes on the left, wash them, place them on the right and then rinse them without them getting dirty from stuff falling in the sink. The 2nd favorite thing is the stainless metal "drying" rack. It has holes in it not mesh, and it is fabulous for rinsing vegetables, fruit, even mussels. It is SUPER functional. I am not sure what your budget is, but it was well, well, well worth the splurge. Best of all I am 99% sure that it fits in a 36 inch sink base. Other things I loved was that there was a built in "lip" in the sink that allowed the metal drain board (and cutting board for that matter) to rest "under" the height of the granite around the sink - very classy. Plus the sink was so big that I would stash "to-be-washed" dishes underneath the drain rack out of obvious sight and the sink was still usable. gotta love that. Here is a link that might be useful: Ticor single bowl undermount sink
    ...See More

Sinks double vs single & name brand vs store brand

Q

Comments (7)
    I'm not sure I can answer all of your questions correctly so I will just say what was my very recent experience. I too, compared the store brand to the Blanco that was on display in the kitchen section. I liked the "feel" of the Blanco better. I priced the Blanco silgranit sink at Lowe's...(they would special order it )and it was quite a lot more than what I could purchase it for online. (approx. $200 more) I got the 60/40 sink. My DW is on the left. The large bowl is on the left. The smaller bowl with my garbage disposal is on the right. I would have preferred it to be in the opposite postion, but it wasn't available that way at place I was ordering it from. So I am living with it and it is not really a big deal for me. Personally I prefer a double bowl...but I know there are many on this forum who prefer the single. I like to have a sink for washing and a sink for rinsing/draining/disposing of stuff etc... Good luck and I hope I helped....even a little bit:) Here is a link that might be useful: blanco 441128
    ...See More

single bowl v. double bowl sink

Q

Comments (3)
    I agree. I've also got the S112, in for about 6 weeks now, and while I decided fairly early to go with single bowl I was still concerned that I wouldn't like it. I love it for the same reasons mentioned above -- mainly because I can set my largest skillet in in flat -- no to mention the burner grates. Everyone who comes in the kitchen comments about what a great sink it is. The woman who cleans my house says it's her favorite sink of any of the houses she cleans.
    ...See More
  • 11 years ago

My sister-in-law, who is from Osaka, told me once that she thought it was funny that Americans put their sink under a window. To her the sink should be under a wall so that you could hang stainless steel drying rack on the wall above the sink and the dishes could drip into the sink.
    If you did want the sink under a window, you could always mount to the left/right of sink, throw a dish cloth on the counter to catch the drips and then just remove when you put the dishes away. Some are even available in colors:

[Eclectic Dish Racks design[(https://www.houzz.com/products/eclectic-dish-racks-prbr1-br~t_420~s_2104) by kingfisherhouse.dk
    You could hide a rack in a cupboard(above the sink for drainage).
    {{!gwi}}From Kitchen Planning
    {{!gwi}}From Kitchen Planning

IKEA also offers dish racks that hand on a rail system, some of them may fold to make storage easier if you wanted to put away between uses.

href='https://www.houzz.com/products/modern-dinnerware-prbr1-br~t_457~s_2105-racks'>Modern Dish Racks design by Furniture And Accessories IKEAYou could do a built in wooden drying rack, it could be multiple levels, but I would worry about the wood degrading perhaps.

[Dish Racks design[(https://www.houzz.com/products/dish-racks-prbr0-br~t_420) by New York Design-build Open Square: Architecture & Design

Here is a link that might be useful: Here's a link about space saving racks

• 11 years ago

Thanks for all the replies so far!

Clarion: That Kohler Stages sink looks awesome, but it's probably a little intimidating for my tiny kitchen. The price almost made me fall off my seat...maybe one day when budget isn't as much of a constraining factor. But thanks for the recommendation! :)

SaraKat: I've seen the Smart Divide, and there are other similar sinks (I know Blanco has one as well). I really wonder if the centre dividing wall is deep enough to fill the basin and wash properly. It seems a little shallow compared to the water level I'm used to washing with. I'm thinking perhaps a 70/30 split would be better suited to me as it allows a deep fill of water but still decent space to wash larger items.

localeater: Actually my kitchen had the 'hide in a cupboard' dish drainer before the remodel. It's commonplace over here, but can be a bit of a pain. For example, if I had a counter top drainer, I could move it away when not in use and free up that space. With the cupboard solution, that space is always dedicated to drying dishes and can't be used for anything else. The space isn't really big enough (I always need more drying space for larger items like pans), and water tends to spill when taking my wet items from the sink up to the cupboard above.

Really appreciate the comments. Keep them coming! :)

• 11 years ago

Sorry I don't have any other ideas for you. Had to ask....you said you don't have hot water in the kitchen. So you have to wash everything is ice cold water? yikes!

• 11 years ago

Well Singapore is a tropical climate, so it's no issue from a comfort perspective.

I had the same reaction when I got over here (mainly since hot water kills more germs). I asked one of the locals about it, and her response was "Why? Do you plan on bathing in the kitchen sink?" They seem to think dishwashing detergent is enough to kill all the germs.

• 11 years ago

We have a dishwasher, but I have always hated dishracks. I hate that they take up space, are designed for cups and plates (which we put in the dishwasher), and I just dislike having things on my counter.

In the kitchen pre-remodel, and in the last kitchen, we used dishtowels on the counter to allow things to air dry...then if you want that counter space back, you can just fold up the towels.

With our new kitchen, we put in an integrated drainboard (not a good choice for you, of course) and I took a cooling rack from a culinary store, dipped the legs in plastidip to save the counters from scratching and am using it for a drying rack. My minimalist side loves the sleekness, it stores really easily because it's flat, and things dry better when they're raised a bit from the deck of the counter. I think I may do more of these, for those times when I am cleaning up from a party. They store just like a cutting board or a cookie sheet.

I think some combination of this and the towel might work for you, actually. towel to capture draining water and cooling rack to improve air circulation. All of it stores up quickly and comes back out quickly.

• 11 years ago

People, think back to the USA before hot and cold running water was safe and cost effective....you could always top off the sink water with boiled water from your kettle for items of concern.....

Back to the functional issues here. It seems to me that the big concern in balancing having enough multiple uses in the space when not actually doing the dishes, vs having enough space to do them easily. Prep Vs. Cooking Vs. Cleanup are in a battle.

I think if this were my space, I would go nuts to have dirty items in my prep area. So I would probably find a larger Bus Tub, in which the dirty items accumulate, and then they are washed later on. So would using a bus tub, basically as a secondary staging vessel for the dirty dishes, and then being able to use it on the counter for the washing process, be a good solution? Then use a large single bowl sink with a small secondary dishpan in it for hot soapy water.

In this way, during prep and cooking there are never dirty items in the sink. The secondary pan in the sink with soapy water can be used with a dishtowel to clean as you go.
    The sink is available for washing produce and other items, and draining steamers and pots of water.

I envision the process for dishwashing as :
    Scrape scraps into trash or compost container.
    Fill Bus Tub with tap water to loosen soiled items. Add soap as required.
    Fill small dishpan in the sink with hot soapy water. Wash each item and rinse under tap.

Set on dish dryer on the counter to begin to air dry.
    Once all items have been washed, then towel dry and put away as desired. OR Stack clean dishes on a towel during washing. Once everything is clean, rinse and remove the small dishpan from the sink, move the drying rack into the sink, and then air dry the dishes in the sink.

• 11 years ago

I think a stainless double sink with drainboard like the Kohler Stages might be the best solution to your issue. The cutting board can cover either the drainboard or the sink bowl, depending on your needs, so it will be flexible for both prep and cleanup. Look locally for a metal fabricator to be able to construct you something similar as part of an integrated stainless counter. That will keep everything seamless and increase the utility.

• 11 years ago

OP has already said the stages is out of range price-wise. It's also a behemoth - likely it would take over the kitchen visually as well.

I love having a one-bowl sink with a bus tub - that seems like a great idea. Gives you the maximum number of options.

• 11 years ago

Thanks juliekcmo, that's a really innovative solution!

Please don't think I'm unappreciate...I most certainly am!...but I have a query.

My friends who are used to double sinks have all raised eyebrows when I mention that I would need to use a dishpan/bus tub to effectively separate the sink into multiple work areas (washing/rinsing). They ask me "why pay all that money for a great sink when you're going to have a plastic bucket in it full time? yuck!". They also point out that with the already limited space, I then need to find more space to store the dishpan/bus tub when not in use. Both valid points I feel.

The above suggestion makes use of two bus tubs if I understand correctly. I can't help but feel it's kind of like a 'workaround' to a solution that really doesn't work properly by itself. Does that make sense? No matter which option I go with, I know I'm going to double guess myself and wonder if I made a mistake.

For those who use a single sink without a bus tub, how do you do a wash and rinse of multiple items? If you are washing a single cookie tray then sure, no problem. But a whole sink full of dishes? What happens to all the wet items in between the wash and rinse steps (assuming no dishwasher)?

• 11 years ago

I totally agree with your friends.

And have two questions -
    *What did you have before and what did you like/not like?
    *Why are you even considering a single bowl? It doesn't seem like you see any positives to a single because your comments all seem to support getting a double. And I can totally see why.

If it were me I'd get a double sink no question as I would hate to have to deal with a plastic tub. I have more space than you do, but no prep sink, and am getting a double with a 60/40 split. That's just what works well for me given how I use a kitchen. Good luck with your decision!

• 11 years ago

Thanks beeps. In answer to your questions:

*What did I have before and what did I like/not like?
    I had a 50/50 double before. I liked the separate wash/rinse option and having a separate side available for whatever might pop up (washing hands, rinsing vegetables, draining pasta etc). I *HATED* trying to wash trays and frying pans (I think they are called 'skillets' in the US) as the handles always knocked against the centre divider and water went everywhere.

*Why am I considering a single bowl?
    For one, to save counter space. Secondly, to more easily wash larger items such as cooking trays etc.

• 11 years ago

From my limited understanding, double sinks were a major breakthrough in design from the single sinks because of exactly what you need yours for, washing and drying of ALL your dishes, pots, pans, etc. In the US that's not an issue anymore but that is definitely one of yours.

Nothing speaks cheap IMO then a plastic tub for washing dishes. Everyday, likely multiple times of day you are going to need the 2 sinks. Though we'll be getting a 70/30 split for our remodel, I would be getting a 50/50 if I had your kitchen.

• 11 years ago

The plastic tub thing really does make me cringe a little, that's for sure. To be honest, I wouldn't go for a 50/50 again. Neither side is large enough to adequately wash awkward items. A 70/30 at least gives you more room to wash items with long handles etc, so I guess I'm leaning towards that if I do end up getting a double sink.

• 11 years ago

The plastic tub thing really does make me cringe a little, that's for sure. To be honest, I wouldn't go for a 50/50 again. Neither side is large enough to adequately wash awkward items. A 70/30 at least gives you more room to wash items with long handles etc, so I guess I'm leaning towards that if I do end up getting a double sink.

• 11 years ago

Occasionally I will wash things buy hand in a single sink. Don't even fill the sink. Spray soap all over, put some on my rag. Turn the water on as hot as I can stand it. Pick up an item, rinse it, wash it, rinse it and put it on a towel next to the sink. When done washing, dry the items and put them away. Even without a DW I would still get a single, but thats me.

• 11 years ago

I love my Elkay low divide, but I think you may be right about it not holding enough water for your needs. It only holds about 4" of water. When I have a dinner party, when I'm washing much more by hand than usual, I have to change the water a couple of times. If you start with more, it takes longer for it to get scuzzy.

I think, like aloha2009, that either a 50-50 or maybe a 60-40 would be best for you.

You can get collapsible dish drainers that sit on the counter, then fold up to be stashed away. One of those would take up less space than a plastic tub. I do like the looks of those wall-mounted drainers, though. Pretty efficient use of space.

• 11 years ago

Dishes do not really get clean unless immersed in soapy hot water (sorry, but true). I have one single sink now, and loathe it. We have to remove dirty dishes and pots and put them next to the sink waiting to be washed. I am always trying to prep around something sitting in the sink. Unfortunately I will have to have a single in the remodel, too, because of my short sink wall, but I hope I'll at least have a prep sink.

• 11 years ago

Got it Tony. Makes sense. I guess I didn't even realize single bowls saved counter space! That's how little consideration I gave one. =)

As I said I'm getting a 60/40 rather than a 50/50 for some of the reasons you hate the 50/50. (I also have an advantage in that I'll have a very large sink in my garage if I desperately need a large sink at some point to soak a big pan.) My only caution about a 70/30 - my parents had one and I really disliked it. If you think it is difficult to wash a frying pan in a 50/50, try rinsing it in the 30 side. Washing up after a holiday meal at my parents house I was always frustrated with the 30 side - it seemed more like 90/10. =) (The 70 side was great though!) Anyway, thus the reason I'm going 60/40. Hope I don't dislike it as much as I did the 70/30 my parents had.

• 11 years ago

Thanks marcolo. I kind of suspected it would be a major pain for me to have things in the sink and prep around it. Also concerned about rinsing hands or vegetables etc over the dirty items sitting there and water splashing back up.

There are so many people who are in love with their single sinks, it makes me wonder whether I have missed something. But I guess having no dishwasher or prep sink is the real key here for me. I've seen posts from others out there in the same situation who still advocate a single sink but I really don't know how they use theirs. It's great that people are overjoyed with their purchases, but I just wish I understood their workflows better to see how much it might apply to myself.

• 11 years ago

Goodness beeps, I hadn't thought about the rinsing side! Oops!

Yeah I can see how rinsing a frying pan in the 30 side would be an issue. My parents back in Australia have a great big sink in the laundry they can use for larger items. Sadly, I don't.

If only somebody made a sink with a removable divider.

• 11 years ago

On second thoughts, I guess you *could* use a 70/30 normally for cutlery, glasses, dishes etc and then do a separate wash/rinse of frying pans and other larger items in the 70 side. Yes it uses a bit more water, but it's another option.

I think I'm well and truly suffering from analysis paralysis right about now.

• 11 years ago

That's true Tony - their sink was certainly workable. I just think it's a matter of maximizing the things you will like and minimizing the things you won't like. I'm in the "there are no perfect solutions" camp. Well, unless you design a sink with a removable divider. =)

Well, nevermind... someone beat you to the idea of a removable divider.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sink with removable divider

• 11 years ago

we replaced our single bowl sink with a low-divide sink, and are so happy we made the decision. why? we mainly hand wash our dishes, so we desperately wanted two sinks. but we didn't want to struggle with washing cookie sheets and large items. the low divide sink fit the bill.

we, too, had concerns about whether the low-divide sink would hold enough water. but for us it hasn't been a problem. our old sink wasn't that deep or wide, and we used a dishtub. when we upgraded to the deeper and wider low-divide sink, we were able to fill the sink with about the same amount of water and it held more dishes. it was a matter of finding a low divide sink with a high enough divide.

i lived in a korea for awhile, so i understand life in a small kitchen. i had a single bowl sink with a removable drying rack in the sink and one above the sink. i sorely missed having another sink, dishwasher, and/or counter space for a dish rack.

• 11 years ago

My kitchen is small but not tiny and I now have a 70/30 sink but am planning to get one large sink. Here in the states you can buy stainless steel steam trays in various sizes and depths. That's the route I'm thinking of taking--it would look better than a plastic dish pan, be removable when I wanted the large sink, and replace the small sink when washing vegetables. Just a thought.

• 11 years ago

Who suspected choosing a kitchen sink would be such a daunting proposition?!

On one hand, I'm thinking of a 70/30 split, but it would definitely take up more counter space than a single sink. The other downside I see from an aesthetic perspective is that the dividing wall of the sink and most probably the tap would not be centred. The sink is right below a window and it would probably look a bit odd. And considering I don't have a prep sink or dishwasher, who really wants to fuss around with using a plastic tub every night to wash the dishes and then clean and store it afterwards?

Another dilemma is the whole over mount / under mount decision. From a maintenance perspective, I favour the top mount, since any future replacements can simply be dropped in. One thing that really worries me about under mount is that larger items would bang against the counter itself where it meets the sink and could result in chipping. It is a sleek look but I worry about future damage. I have seen mention of a 'flush mount' option which is supposed to have the benefits of both and the disadvantages of neither. Not too sure about this option though.

I find it really strange that so many people complain about dirt getting caught in the sides of a top mount sink. My parents have had a top mount sink for the last 20 years and it's as clean as could be all the way around the sink. My father is fastidious about wiping everything dry on a daily basis though.

• 11 years ago

Oh it might also be helpful if I mention that I may well be leaving Singapore in a few years and may rent the apartment out at that time. Therefore, I do want an option that can withstand harsh treatment from careless tenants. Perhaps undermount sinks are not the way to go?

• 11 years ago

I do most of my dishes by hand. I have a 70/30 split sink and the larger side easily fits my largest skillets and baking pans for soaking etc. The smaller side is great for drying dishes, both sinks have metal grids in the bottom. (love the grids) The sink has a cutting board available that could be used for extra counter space. I did not purchase the cutting board so I can not tell you if they are nice or not.

• 11 years ago

Yeah that photo really worries me. When washing skillets large enough to require the handle to hang over the edge of the sink, I really do worry about chipping that lovely counter. It seems it would be exposed to a lot more water too which may interfere with the finish of the counter after years of water exposure.

I'm really starting to think a sleek top mount (thinking Blanco Microedge of Kohler Vault) may be my only option given my concerns. The only downside is they only come in stainless steel, since I was really after Silgranit (don't like the way stainless steel shows scratches and water spots).

• 11 years ago

I have the Blanco Silgranite Performa Medium 1 3/4 sink. It is reversible so you can choose which side you want the larger bowl on. The sink is 10 inches deep but the divider is 4 inches lower than the rim. Pot handles easily go over the divide and if you are just using one bowl you can fill it with 6 inches of water. And of course if you need deeper water you can use the 10 inch depth by filling both bowls to the top. The overall dimensions of the sink is 33x19. I find it more than adequate for both clean up and prepping. It is also quite bullet proof if you are going to be having renters in the future. In case you have not seen this particular model here is a photo of it:
    {{!gwi}}

• 11 years ago

Thanks badgergal. It's definitely an option to consider. I had researched the low divide sinks before and wasn't really sold on them, mainly because it tries to do two things but doesn't really excel at either. But the worry I have about renters isn't so much chipping the sink, it is chipping the edge of the quartz counter top that would hang over an under mount sink. 10 inches may also be a little deep, especially considering it's an under mount, as I do have a bad back and prolonged leaning really agitates it.

• 11 years ago

We have had big single bowl sinks in both of our two remodeled kitchens. If you do not want to have a plastic wash basin, you can do what I do - wash your biggest bowl or pan first. It then becomes your wash basin. You can let rinse water accumulate in other pots or dishes that may need soaking, spread them across the bottom of the sink, right side up. Spread that last (mostly clean) soapy water from the second washing of that yucky pot into the other items that hold your rinse water. Refill your now-clean pot with hot (from the teapot) soapy water and wash all of your dishes. All the dinnerware goes in a bowl or saucepan to soak, if there is not room in the first one.

I like the Ikea fold-down dish racks. They come in two sizes. Just place a towel under them to catch the drips. Then while tea or coffee is brewing in the morning, put away the dry dishes and hang the towels on the dishracks as you fold them up onto the "stored" position on the wall. Towels will be dry by evening, ready to drip-dry the evening's dishes.

• 11 years ago

Tony, how much width can you allocate to your sink? I really feel a single bowl might be your best option. You will work out where to place dishes waiting to be washed, and where to place them after washing. But to wash large items like cookie sheets and long handled skillets, the single sink will be so handy.

Those great sinks with sliding accessories are wonderful but the cost is as much as a stove or refrigerator! For basically a metal box that holds water! I love their functionality, but they aren't in my remodel budget.

• 11 years ago

I think the maximum width I could tolerate is probably 30". I know I see figures on this forum saying you need at least a 36" sink to think of having a two bowl arrangement, but that's just not feasible in Singapore :(

I might slowly be coming around to the idea of a single sink. The low divide still doesn't eliminate issues, it just reduces them a little I feel.

My main concern right now is the top mount or under mount decision. I have a phobia of ending up with chips in the counter right where it meets the under mount sink. That to me is not a low maintenance or long term option :(

Am I missing something?

• 11 years ago

We're almost done with our remodel, but it seems to have stalled, so I've had a single bowl sink (a Silgranit) with no prep sink or dishwasher for the last three months. Yes, I've been using the dreaded plastic tub, but I haven't hated it as much as I thought I would. My sink is black (Anthracite), and the tub is black, so it blends in and is not that noticeable. But I LOVE being able to take it out and wash sheet pans and large frying pans. I also like being able to move the tub from side to side, depending on my prep needs. I cook a lot, and am washing dishes several times a day, so I tend to leave the tub in the sink.

In our temporary kitchen in the garage, I'd rigged up a drying rack over the sink that worked really well. If I'd known how long I'd be using it, I might have invested in one of those fold up type. Currently, I'm using a dish rack with drain, and a drying mat for the overflow. They pretty much stay on the counter full time, since they always seem to be in use, and they bother me a lot more than the tub does.

• 11 years ago

I think you're right. The more I think about it, the more I just can't get away from the inescapable truth that I need to wash large items and have a limited space for my sink. A single sink to maximise the usable washing space is really starting to seem like the common sense approach.

If only I had a dishwasher :(

• 11 years ago

Tony,

I have lived and worked and looked in Asia and am familiar with no hot water, no DW kitchens. That being said, I think a separate water source and prep area is extremely critical.. Especially in Asian style cooking, water is your most often used ingredient. Instead of a double bowl, I would suggest a single bowl cleanup sink.. Even 24 " would work or one of those IKEA sinks that are deeper front to back..and a small prep-sink (think a bowl big enough to wash spinach or 2kgs of veggies.) that is away from the cleanup area.. It is yucky to wash veggies near a pile of smelly dirty dishes. Especially without dishwasher, these dishes do tend to pile up until they are scrubbed and put away at end of the day. My friend in Mumbai remodeled her flat and added a prep sink and really loves it. She used a really narrow sink as she has a tiny kitchen.
    small bar sink
    j

Here is a link that might be useful: Small stainless prep sink

• 11 years ago

Hi lalitha that would be wonderful, but I really don't think I have any space to add a prep sink? In fact, having a 70/30 split would probably take less room than a separate prep sink and I don't even have space for that :(

• 11 years ago

Tony,

24in sink for cleanup and a narrow 5in bar sink for prep will still keep I under 30 inches. You can use the narrow space under the bar sink for cutting boards etc.

• 11 years ago

Ok thanks lalitha, but I'm a little confused.

In that case, why not just use a 30" sink with a 70/30 split?

Sorry to sound silly, but I've never seen a prep sink in Singapore so it's a method of using the kitchen that I'm not familiar with.

• 11 years ago

I just got the 3D drawing of the proposed kitchen back from the interior designer.

In case you're curious, this might give you a perspective of how small Singaporean kitchens are. You can see why I really don't want a huge sink, because it does limit the amount of usable counter space I would have.

The drawing tends to make the kitchen look larger than it actually is, but hopefully you get the idea. A 36" sink is definitely WAY too big! I'm thinking of maybe 27"-30" as a maximum.

The sink will probably be a single bowl sink, although the drawing shows a double bowl. The funny translucent cabinet above the sink will be where the dishes are put to drip dry, freeing up counter space.

(There will be an oven directly underneath the cooktop. Not sure why they didn't include that in the drawing).

• 11 years ago

So, what are your actual dimensions...because that kitchen looks larger than mine (certainly has more wall space)? I think if I were you, even though you've never seen it, be the trend-setter and go for a 24" clean up sink with a slim prep sink somewhere...

• 11 years ago

I really don't know the dimensions sorry since my kitchen is currently a cement dust area (I didn't take the dimensions prior to the hacking).

But why have two separate sinks instead of one larger sink? I just can't figure it out, sorry :(

• 11 years ago

...or for that matter, two separate sinks instead of one larger double bowl sink?

• 11 years ago

Tony,

The reason why a double bowl is not the same as a separate prep sink is that ideally the prep sink will be used only for clean tasks like preparing veggies for cooking etc.. You really don't want to do this right next to dirty dishes that may need to be scrubbed and soaped. Also you want a span of counter next to prep sink for using a cutting board and have the cooktop close enough to get the prepped food to cooktop and into the pan without worrying about dropping water or tiny bits of cut veggies along the way..

Your space looks quite big in the picture..

Anything less than 24" for cleanup sink is going to be extremely annoying to use for actually scrubbing and cleaning dishes. You need working space for two hands to do the task without getting soap and gunk all over the counter.

• 11 years ago

Thanks lalitha, I appreciate your reply :)

The reason why my kitchen looks big in the picture is that they have left out the fridge and cabinet where the microwave sits, as well as the doorway connecting it to the living room. That is all located in the empty space you on the side away from the kitchen sink. They've shown the same floor space but left out half the obstacles :)

Sponsored
Old Dominion Kitchen Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
Loudoun County's Kitchen & Bath Design Experts | Best of Houzz 3x