SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zipdee

Show me your coffee table and how it's accessorized.

zipdee
12 years ago

Sadly, I lack the accessorizing gene. I'd love to see pics of all your pretty accessorized coffee tables if you're willing to share.

Comments (65)

• teacats
    12 years ago

I have two coffee tables in our one-and-only living room. The oval mahogany one has a dark woven oval tray filled with a small pile of decor books.

The other coffee table -- is actually a very old painted trunk -- and has another pile of decor books.

These "options" (LOL!) change all of the time -- depending on the season -- and the reason! :)

• allison0704
    12 years ago

We live in a valley, full of gorgeous fall colors at the moment, surrounded by nature. So I tried to bring that inside.

I have an antique porcupine quill lap desk, a few stacks of books, deer antlers, ram horn, a pair of antelope horns (all younger people that enter home end up picking them up and holding on top of their heads ;D ), and a vintage cigar mold. I like the number and seal stamped in the box, plus the old wood.

I picked the items because I loved them, like the contract on the limestone top and they each add various textures.

• Related Discussions

Show me your Thanksgiving table

Q

Comments (36)
    Oh, thanks so much, everyone-- my little paper mache fellow would be blushing from all the compliments (he's going to be just incorrigible to deal with once he hears about his popularity!) The witch's feet sign was a Big Lots find and tt's got little jingly bells on the bottom of it. It tickled me, too, when I saw it. There are so many cute things like that this year. And I'm a sucker for things that crack me up. I'm sure my fellow shoppers probably wonder what's wrong with me when I'm in the store giggling to myself over something silly. Ah well-- laughter helps you live longer. :-) -Jenn
    ...See More

Show Me What's On Your Coffee Table

Q

Comments (3)
    I love the mission style and would like to see your table in your room. I constantly change things around all the time. That's the fun of coffee tables. This is the living room coffee table. I keep my ming on it all the time. The bowl my son bought me from Mexico, specifically for the ming. The Asian lady is an incense burner I picked up at good will...I use it several times a week. The only thing I don't ever move around is the ming. I have it for about 8 years and it loves this spot. Sometimes I keep a burning candle on the table instead of the Asian Lady. This is the den tables...modified mission style :) The table on the left has our chessboard and the table on the right has our wood turning frog candle, an antique music box, and the book my DH is currently reading...The chessboard always stays, because we made the table tops in the same wood and finish as me made the chess board. It's a set, so to speak :) The right table never has the same thing on it from week to week, nor do any of the tables. :) The ol' hound dog doesn't move from that spot, cause he's under the ceiling fan :) Since I didn't have a slice of pizza to toss across the floor to get him to move, I've included him in the shot!
    ...See More

Show me what is on your dining table-please!

Q

Comments (43)
    jaymielo -- add a week's worth of newspapers, a bucket of crayons and two or three coloring books and a plastic high chair, there's my table. :) Seriously, when I set the table for guests, I have a large 1960s teak salad bowl filled with glazed gourds that I put on a runner my mum brought back from Malaysia. Otherwise, we use the table as our eating, working, game playing, coloring, playdoh, crafting center so it's normally piled with crapola.
    ...See More

Show me your breakfast room table

Q

Comments (1)
    Do you have a picture of it? Joann
    ...See More
  • zipdee
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Beautiful tables and decorating, each is unique and full of personality.

Lynn, I love the feel of your accessories and how they fit your home! I also love very comfortable pup in the back ground. I'm a margarita girl myself, so I'm with you there! :D

Oak, I like the runner on your table and how comfortable the table it's self looks in your room.

Cyn, I really like your idea of fresh flowers in a pretty vase. There's so many options you could do, from a simple arrangement to something larger in an iron stone crock, pitcher or tureen. I love fresh flowers and I'm not good at layering, so this would be perfect for me.

Sue .. I love your frog, I have a thing for frogs. The chair in the background is wonderful.

Dee .. I really like the round wreath and candle on your round table, this would be a great Christmas option for me. Oh, I understand about the Aussies! We have two Aussies and they do bring in a lot on their coats. Plus our female thinks if she gains the higher ground on her big brother she wins in Aussie wrestling .. this can include sliding across the ottomans in the family room, thankfully she gets that tables are a no, no.

Diana .. Yes on all of the above. *LOL* I have three kids, five dog and a DH that doesn't necessarily see that a table full of clutter is a bad thing.

Jen & PattyCakes .. yes cats count! :)

Teacats .. I would love to see pictures if you have any, it sounds wonderful.

Allison, you have beautiful textures and a very interesting assortment on your table, great conversation starters for sure.

Thank you all for sharing these with me, I hope more people join in .. I'm really enjoying a glimpse at everyone's decorating. We are headed to the coast tonight for a long weekend, so I'll check back in with you all next week. I hope everyone has a great weekend!

• lala girl
    12 years ago

I really enjoy seeing all of these tables (and the beloved pets!) Ours is an enamel-top table we cut down. Indestructible and I love its character.

• susieq07
    12 years ago

• lisa_mocha
    12 years ago

Ok...I'm a little (too) obesessed with coastal/shell decor:)

1st is living room and other 2, family room

Will be changing things up in a few weeks for the holidays...love Christmas decorating!

• lynninnewmexico
    12 years ago

Lisa, what beautiful rooms and accessories! Everything looks very welcoming, comfy and calm . . . ahhh!
    Please, please post pics for us once you get your holiday decs up, will you?
    Lynn

• Sueb20
    12 years ago

zipdee, we have a mutual chair adoration going on. I love your green/black chairs. My chair is a Crate & Barrel chair that came with a leather cushion, but I had a seamstress make me a new cover.

• Oakley
    12 years ago

Dee, very pretty! I love how you can see the carpet through the glass, and that it has a wood trim.

Laura, I agree about your table. It reminds me of mine. My dog chewed corners of it and it just adds character!

Lisa, last Christmas I had a bowl on my table also, but it had blue and silver ornaments in it. Very pretty!

• ellenm08
    12 years ago

Wow! I'm so impressed with everyone's responses here = you are all so talented. I'm still working on figuring out how to decorate mine and just came across these tips that I am going to try and incorporate into my coffee table design. Some great tips on how to decorate your coffee table!

Here is a link that might be useful: [Coffee Tables Done Right[(https://www.houzz.com/magazine/design-details-coffee-tables-done-right-stsetivw-vs~223487)

• cat_mom
    12 years ago

I'll play! Here's the cocktail table in our LR:

The table base is made from actual grapevines. DH made a template for the glass top to go with the sectional (modeled after one that "goes" with the sectional), and we had it fabricated locally.

• User
    12 years ago

cat-mom, I love your tablescape. The grapevines are an enormous find. It's art. Beautiful combination. You also have the advantage of room to add drinks and such w/o worrying about hurting the table and an easy clean up.
    Do you have to do anything to preserve the grapevines?

I like the way the French set up their tables whether it is a dining room or coffe table. There are always things of interest to pick up and feel. They are scattered, not like Americans who favor order on their table. I have an old silver hinged match book cover as well as another for calling cards. Mystery articles that people enjoy.

I have cats that jump and sniff. Wish it were not so, but I keep things low on the table. It is a rather large Italian scalloped brass around the outside with glass inside. Beautiful condition after 20 years. Never had to do a thing to the brass.

• busybee3
    12 years ago

that's a great table cat mom!!

• lisa_mocha
    12 years ago

Cat_mom~
    I love your table also...it's fabulous!

• allison0704
    12 years ago

Sort of off topic, but not. Someone emailed me via GW asking about my blue rug. I replied but it was in my outgoing on phone and I deleted by accident. Searched what I thought was her moniker but no GW matches....

Thank you. I purchased it at a locally owned rug store four years ago. There is no tag and maker not on ticket - that way no one can shop internet. It is a Soumak, in case you didn't know that already.

• cat_mom
    12 years ago

Thanks! Finding the table (base) online was pure serendipity. WWe worked with a gentleman in VA (W.VA?) who made/sold these tgrapevine tables. We never met him or saw his work in person; dealt with him solely over the phone and through pics and emails. He was the nicest, nicest man. He explained every single step of the ordering and shipping process to us. The vines are resined (?)--we chose the natural finish vs an ambered or stained/colored one (either would have worked with our space), so there is no maintenance involved (except the dreaded dusting--I hate dusting!). We arranged to have the base shipped to a drop-off point. DH drove to pick it up there, which saved us some $$$. We got it, and the glass top (locally fabricated) within days of Christmas. We spoke with and sent pics to the gentleman over the holiday week.

I've told this story before--while searching for a link to the site to post hear for a GW member, a few months later, I had trouble finding the site. It had disappeared off the face of the cyberworld. Kept digging, and finally googled the name of the gentleman with whom we'd been speaking. Found his obituary online. He had died within weeks of us last speaking to him.

For all we know, our table was the last, if not one of the last, to be created/shipped by him/his company. Makes us treasure it all the more.

• bungalow_house
    12 years ago

Some variation of this for the last 6 years: :P

• hhireno
    12 years ago

Awww, bungalow's is my favorite.
    (It will be like salt in Trailrunner's wound though.)

• Circus Peanut
    12 years ago

... people accessorize their coffee tables?

• ttodd
    12 years ago

Love it Bungalow! I debated whether I should get a picture of lunch plates and toys littering the table w/ someone's feet propped on it too since that is it's daily state! Or w/ piles of folded laundry on it. I decided to go w/ pics that I already had though - it was easier!

And the most recent rendition:

• kathleenca
    12 years ago

My vote goes to circuspeanut's table!

• lisa_mocha
    12 years ago

Another vote for circuspeanut,lol.

• User
    12 years ago

cat_mom, that is a bittersweet story. I have a friend who is a woodturner and I would actually need to find a broker for the grapevine. So, enjoy it forever.

• cat_mom
    12 years ago

We hope to! :-)

(we were both very upset when we read about his demise--nicest guy)

• fnmroberts
    12 years ago

Here is ours in the LR. It is actually a tea table, so a few inches higher. Actually has small shelves which pull out from both ends where I sometimes set candles.
    {{!gwi}}

And, our Family Room. Glass, allowing it to be subjected to more daily abuse.
    {{!gwi}}

• Sueb20
    12 years ago

I have to admit, this thread made me look at our family room coffee table (which is new, so I hadn't given it too much thought yet), which made me go to Etsy and order a big wooden bowl for it. The table is metal and I felt like it "needed" something wood on top. You people are always costing me money... ;)

• cat_mom
    12 years ago

LOL sueb20!

• Arapaho-Rd
    12 years ago

To me coffee tables are like mantels - always difficult to come up with a look I'm satisfied with. Right now my coffee table is empty so you've given me some inspiration.

You've all done a great job.

ttodd - where oh where did you find that wonderful woven round table?

• User
    12 years ago

Here's a few.

Jim

• msrose
    12 years ago

Mine is still a work in progress, but this is how it looks right now.

• Oakley
    12 years ago

Uh, I think Jim trumped all of us! Awww, I want kitty!!

Know what would be fun? Having a "come as you are" party regarding our coffee table & kitchens. Meaning you take a picture in the mornings when no cleaning has been done from the night before. The stories they'd tell about us!

• allison0704
    12 years ago

;D Oakleyok. The only difference in mine might be a current Guns & Ammo magazine and the weekly Business Journal.

For those with kids that don't think you can have a semi-clean coffee table - our den has our 26yo coffee table, which is a vintage, square kitchen table DH cute the legs down. It was great when the kids were small since it had a drawer. Great for TV changer and any of their things or magazines that needed stored, but still close by.

It has a photo album of our build, a snake skin covered box and a wooden plate with dried seed pods, etc.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    12 years ago

chijim,

that's fabulous and unique

have you posted any other picture of your style?

• Oakley
    12 years ago

Allison, that's why I like my table so much. It's similar to a dining room table but with short legs. My grandson loves driving cars on it and uses it to build things with his wood blocks. If it adds a scratch to my table, well, it just adds more charm!

I like your mantel! I finally discovered how to decorate mine. lol. I used some of my collection of old cream colored Crocks. Looks great with the stone. Finally!

• teacats
    12 years ago

Jim::

Just LOOK at those gorgeous wee cat souls on that pretty table!!! -- just LOOK at those precious eyes! :) Sending along many pats, hugs and kisses ..... :)

just LOVE your postings! :)

• gsciencechick
    12 years ago

Ours looks more like Circuspeanut's. You can also throw a couple of laptops on there.

• pollyannacorona
    12 years ago

Laurainlincoln, Im looking for a rug like that for a bedroom..do you mind telling me where you got it?

• luckygal
    12 years ago

Love all the 'pet' decor! Mine are often in pics also.

This is the current decor on this coffee table. The other coffee table has my feet on it!

{{!gwi}}

Pics of previous arrangements.

{{!gwi}}

This was between Christmas and Easter one year.

• Jodi_SoCal
    12 years ago

I like to keep things simple.

Jodi-

• mary_lu_gw
    12 years ago

Nothing fancy here.
    This is the old immigrant trunk in the sitting room. The old wooden box holds a box of kleenex.

This is the coffee table in the living room.

The little books are what were called gift books and were published in the late 1800's or early 1900's. I have a series of the books. Each are a different author, different "jewel". Pearls, Diamonds, Saphires, etc.

The illustrations are so very pretty.

• ice1
    12 years ago

Here is mine, this is my third home , but my coffee table is always the same.

• juddgirl2
    12 years ago

With my family, I have to favor function over form when decorating my coffee table. I'd actually prefer to not have one but need somewhere to put drinks and for DH to rest his feet :)

For now, I just have a basket to organize magazines, remotes, and coasters. I like the wooden box idea for remotes though.

I plan on storing some of my wooden gameboards on the bottom shelf so long as it doesn't look too cluttered.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    12 years ago

TTodd, I love your palette.

LaurainLincoln, can we see more of that room? Love animal rugs. Was all set to get antelope and I can't remember now why I didnt!

LisaMocah, my DD's BR is all shells. I love the shadow boxes. My favorite one is below.

• stinky-gardener
    12 years ago

Mary Lu, I love your "nothing fancy" tables! They are rich in character...charming.

• annac54
    12 years ago

Love all the pictures of your tablescapes. Some really interesting items there.

Unfortunately, no fancy stuff for me. We just have a large low bowl on our glass-topped table. Anything I put there has to be able to survive the "Tail of Death" that belongs to my German Shepherd. Honestly, it's about 3 feet long and can take out a display of knick-knacks in a nano-second. I'm glad she's such a happy dog, we just have to make some adjustments to the decor.

• do-it-myself
    12 years ago

I've enjoyed looking at everyones coffee tables and their unique taste! What a great way to get ideas. I have been wanting to refinish the top of mine - if I do then I'll post a picture.

• dgmarie
    12 years ago

• pps7
    12 years ago

Juddgirl- did you get the RH dutch industrial table?

• lala girl
    12 years ago

hi pollyana - It is an old Pottery Barn rug from 2-3 years ago.. it has worn like iron. I have to admit I worry what I will do when it finally gets worn out.. I saved my pennies to buy it, went in and it was on sale in the store for 40% off. I have loved it ever since!

• juddgirl2
    12 years ago

Hi pps - It is the small RH industrial table. I've had my eye on it for awhile but DH said he'd make one for me (he's great at welding). He's always busy with house projects though and I happened to see this while shopping at the outlets so it came home with me.

I lucked out - less than half price after their 20% sale and no damage at all! I like the size of the side table but don't want matching pieces so I'm still looking for one of those.

anna - love the "tail of death" phrase!