SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amhers104_gw

Need quick advice! Hate filler used on wall cabinet installation

amhers104
11 years ago

My contractor started installing our new cabinets today. He is following the plan provided to him by the kitchen designer we used when oredering the cabinets. They are full overlay Shrock cabinets. when i got home today from doing errands there was a 2 inch filler between 2 wall cabinets. it is a straight wall with no corners. The cabinet sizes for the wall I am talking about is one 30 inch ( two 15 inch doors) and one 15 inch cabinet. When we designed the kitchen the KD said these sizes worked well together because all the door sizes would be the same. He never mentioned that there would be a 2 inch filler between them! When i got home and questioned the installer that we hired, he showed me the pictures given to him by the KD and It shows a filler between the two cabinets. He wasn't sure why the filler was being used but said he just followed the plan. I hate the filler between the 2 cabinets and can't figure out why it is there. I think it looks ridiculous!!!!! Tomorrow is Sunday and installer is coming at 8:00 am to finish installing the wall cabinets, then installing the base cabinets. He needs to get it done tomorrow because the granite template is being done on Monday morning. Problem is that the store we bought cabinets from is closed on Sundays so I can't call the KD to find out why the 2 inch filler is being used between the cabinets or is it a mistake on the computerized drawing he sent to the installer. I keep going downstair to look at it and i hate the filler there!!!! Is it too late to take the filler out now that it is installed? Or is it supposed to be there? Afraid to tell him to redo it and then find out the filler needed to be there. I am posting a pic of the filler to get advice. Again it is one wall with just two cabinets.

I'm sure installer wont be happy if i ask him to take it out... or is it too late now that it is already up and it has to stay that way:( Any advice would be greatly appreciated! How do people think the filler looks?

Comments (43)