SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jakabedy_gw

HELP! - Nest of unidentified critter in Christmas tree box!

jakabedy
15 years ago

DH is taking SS back home after his visit here this weekend, which was to have given me 3 hours to get the furniture moved around and the tree up to surprise him. Said furniture has been moved, a past-it oriental rug folded up and moved permanently out of the dining/tree room and everything vacuumed.

Then I opened up the tree box. Gadzooks! There is a little nest of some kind nestled (I guess that is what nests do -- they nestle) in the branches of part of the tree! It is about 6-7 inches around and made of bits of cloth, paper, flotsam, jetsam. The hole eaten through the box is quite tiny, so I suspect mice.

Thinking quickly (for me) I dragged the box back outside where the dogs are there to keep an eye on it. But they don't seem to care much, so perhaps the nest is unoccupied, yet another fatality of the subprime lending debacle (though I see no HUD sticker on the window).

Any thoughts on the next steps to be taken? Do I put my ear close and listen in a Clark Griswold-like manner to see if the little habitat is still occupied? Do I simply pull out the other pieces a la Ker-Plunk saving this one for last, then snatching it furiously out whilst shaking it through the air? Do I close the cat in the box for 20 minutes and see what happens?

I could just wait until DH gets home and ask him to deal with it, but that seems like such a cop out.

Comments (12)