SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kote_gw

Awkward 60's ranch floor plan, HELP!

kote
9 years ago

Hi, we just bought this cute ranch house and are very excited about being first home owners. House was built in 1969 and we are the 3rd owners. The previous owners took care of it very well, and they all had raised happy families here and we could feel the good vibe from this home when we first saw it. We are also new parents, hoping to have happy memories!

However, I have a little problem getting ideas for "Formal Living Room" and "Den(Family Room?) here.

Being a 60's Ranch house, it has a FL and a FD in the front of the house, and in order to get to the kitchen you either need to walk through these two 'formal' rooms or come across the Den. Kitchen has a breakfast nook so we can eat-in in the kitchen but I am very happy that we have a separate dining room. I love entertaining at my place.
So I want to keep the FL and FD look always clean and nice, away from daily mess that our toddler makes, would love to have books, a little bar and nice seats for adults.

But, as you see, because it has a Sun Room right off the Den and Den has two openings(Sun Room french doors and entry way from front door) through it, we have very awkward little space in there and only got one good sized wall.

I am posting previous owner's listing pictures. As you see, they had a TV by the french doors.. but we don't want it there. We want to mount our TV(46" Flat) on a wall and set couches near it. First thought having TV over the fire place, but if we make seating area around the fire place, it won't feel cozy at all because of the openings on the both sides.

So the best thing I can think of is probably having TV on the Den's wall that you can see in the 4th image(that had a blue frame with a bird painting),
or on the other side of the same wall- in the Formal Living Room.. but it won't feel cozy in FL either because FL also has 2 wide openings on the both sides. And my husband wants to get REALLY comfy when he watches TV, so if there is a TV in the room, the seats will not get FANCY. Prolly ugly soft couch that he can lay down in his underwear.. Is that what I want for FL? No.......)

Den is going to be our Family Room that me and my baby will hang out all day even rolling on the floor. So when we have guests adults can talk and drink in the FL not seeing toys and etc, and flow naturally goes to the FD for dinner. So basically guests stay in more 'formal' areas. That is what I am picturing.

But..... I am still very confused with the concept of 'Formal Living Room'. Maybe all that "Adult's formal area' theme can be a waste of space for now? I also did some research and seemed like a lot of families turn their FL into a play room until kids grow, but our FL is far from the kitchen where I spend a lot of time during the day and you can't see into FL from the kitchen. Doesn't feel safe letting a toddler play alone there, also tile flooring!. And she's already got Den and Sun Room to play in.

Well I am writing it way too long and complicated,
I just wanted to hear from others-
What would you do with your TV?
What would you use this FL next to front door for?
How would you make this awkward floor plan cozy and comfortable with all those awkward openings on the walls?

I believe our new house has potential to be nicer place without renovation. Let me hear what you think!

Thanks for reading! :)

This post was edited by kote on Sat, Nov 1, 14 at 16:34

Comments (16)