SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
msitalia_gw

Eat-in Kitchen Open to the DR - too many tables?

msitalia
11 years ago

Please help! I am going to be renovating my kitchen and I'm trying to figure out the best layout to make the space functional, appear larger and pretty. My kitchen is not large. It is in the shape of a U: on the left there is a wall between my dining room and kitchen which is where the range is, perpendicular to that to the right is where the sink is beneath a window, and forming the last part of the U is a peninsula. Looking over the peninsula is the kitchen table eating area. This area is then open to the back of my den.

I was planning to make the wall between the DR and Kitchen a half wall to open the kitchen to the DR, with a second tier so that people could not see the countertop, but then there is the issue of needing a hood for the range and I don't think a hood would look pretty from both sides (my style is not modern - more traditional meets shabby chic). My contractor suggested not putting a wall there at all and instead eliminating it and making an island that runs parallel to the sink. Since my kitchen isn't wide, it would not be an island that people could sit at - it would only be the same depth as that of a cabinet. He could put the range to the left of the present sink an appropriate distance away (towards the DR) with a nice hood above and a cabinet after that to finish it off. On the other side, the peninsula would be gone and the island mentioned before would be there. I could have a 90in island in that space.I need more counterspace than what I have now, so the large island sounds appealing.

Is this a plan a good idea? I like the idea of everything being open but I am thinking that it might look funny having two tables (DR and EIK) separated by the kitchen. Also, is it a good design to have a stove and sink next to each other, even if appropriately spaced apart? I'm not really sure what else to do with this kitchen. I would appreciate any ideas you may be able to offer me. Thanks!

Comments (7)