SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ashley97_gw

Black Galaxy at $90 a sq foot?

ashley97
12 years ago

In the final stages of kitchen selections for a new build.

Got the plans set, picked out the granite (Black Galaxy) and the installer came back with a total price of $6300 for 70 sq ft, installed. That is with a sink cut out, a cooktop cutout, U-shape countertop and center island of 60" by 36" (so not a huge slab).

This seems really high....we're looking for a "second opinion" but the builder is pushing us to commit. Finish date for the house is still 5-6 weeks away and cabinets are ordered, and I think we've got more time on this.

They wanted us to use Quartz, we wanted granite and I'm wondering if this has anything to do with it.

We also wanted to find some remnants for a small wet bar (12 sq ft) and the master bath (22 sq ft) and even for the cheapest granite, the quote back was $1800 for the bath and $1100 for the wet bar.....that's $100 a sq foot for the "cheapest remnant" they had.

I know area of the country might have something to do with it (Midwest) but at this rate, Home Depot has a special of $49 a sq ft installed for Uba Tuba and we might go that way because seriously......

Anyone have some insight? Help?

Ashley

Comments (10)