SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nhb22

2014 Thanksgiving table or decor?

nhb22
10 years ago

OK, we have Halloween d�cor and I feel sure we will have Christmas d�cor (trees, lights, etc.). Are we going to let Thanksgiving go by without photos of YOUR Thanksgiving table/d�cor?

I don't yet have photos for my current TG table because the individual places are not set. I'll try to post some without place settings tonight. In the meantime, here's a few photos from my table 2 years ago to get us started.

Please add yours below. :)

The centerpieces were all fresh fruits, greenery and flowers. A lot of work went into them, so this year I have paired down.

Comments (59)

• nhb22
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Beautiful tables everyone! I love all the creativity, china, crystal and the stories. WOW...17 people for TG. I only have 8.

dlm2000 - hahaha...I have had 2014 on my mind for a while. Trying to book plane reservations for a couple of trips and plan excursions. I have been having to fill in the dates and just had 2014 in my mind when I posted.

A sneak peak of my 2013 table :-) is below. I'll post another photo after the table is set tomorrow night.

maggiepie11- I hear you/ We are making the pecans pies (one plain, one chocolate) but buying our apple pie at Fresh Market. After making fresh apple pies the last few years, I have come to realize that I cannot make them as cheaply as I can buy from FM. Their pies are pretty darn good!

Excuse my poor photos. I used my iPad and they are fuzzy.

I layered pumpkins of different sizes, materials and colors, along with silver, silk leaves and various nuts. Added some candles, although we will be eating in the early afternoon.

I will be layering 2 chargers (the gold shown in previous table, and a rustic charger. See one under center glass cake plate) along with a dinner plate, salad plate and napkin.

Keep them coming!

• awm03
    10 years ago

Fabulous, newhomebuilder! So festive and pretty.

• Related Discussions

kitchen table decorated for Thanksgiving

Q

Comments (12)
    I hope our gang browses ALL your Fall photos, JoLynn, I sure had fun going thru them. I snagged a bunch for our Fall ablum. Thank you again! I read your Flickr profile and see you're in CO, like Candy and Kathe. And you like decorating with rabbits and roosters, obviously love holiday decor, and love dogs...no wonder I became an instant fan. LOL. I sure hope you stay with us, I can't wait to see what you do for Christmas!! Your sense of style and decor is absolutely wonderful, and you certainly inspire me. (the kitty statue in the birdcage really is an idea I need to "borrow". Love it! LOL) I looked at your Yellowstone photos and 'recognized' a lot of them as my daughter was there with her family on summer vacation and got similar shots. ;o) I don't get to travel with all my dogs, cats, and physical issues...so I live vicariously thru those who do and share photos. hugs, Karen
    ...See More

Fall/Thanksgiving decorations

Q

Comments (6)
    slinkey thank you...:) I said 'struggeling' because I must have moved stuff around a hundred times in the last couple of days...and I am still looking at it, especially the diningroom mantel and black side board and it's just not quite right...lol My boys just look at me and shake their heads...I also noticed in one of the pictures I forgot to take the price tag off one of the fall leaves I got from Michaels...lol My personal favorite is my coffee table arrangement with the swan...I got that little swan earlier this year and he is just so versatile and can be incorporated in so many ways...:)
    ...See More

Thanksgiving decor

Q

Comments (6)
    Elves seem to be really popular this year. I was at a craft show recently and they had several on display and for sale, and I've noticed many in the décor on Pinterest and in my painting books. Your's looks quite comfy there among your fall décor! Now you can just switch out the fall items for some Christmas ones and be good to go for the next holiday! Hope you will keep coming back even if it's just to chat and get acquainted. Luvs
    ...See More

What do you think 2014 will bring for home design/decor?

Q

Comments (18)
    Chris, your house is so "you" that if you gave me 100 manufactured homes on country lots in the middle of the US, I could pick yours out on my first tour, just from having enjoyed your photos. 20 years after you are gone, Idahoans will be trading beauteous glass-covered furniture, toilets, and whatnots in art galleries and flea markets and remembering (or wondering) what the story was behind their find! I rather like the orchid color, if you tone it down to about 15%! I have never been a trend follower, but on a lark, I just may paint one wall in our main hall, behind my Carmel Foret Pansey print, a violet. I have to scare up the fabric I bought to glue to my wood blind and see if it matches. I have a wood blind for the end of the hall, where it meets the foyer. Our foyer faces the bedrooms. We scurry across that hall to get to the bathroom in our skivvies. So I got a blind from a clearance bin at Lowes. It hangs up high, out of sight of the foyer, unless I lower it. Trouble is, if the lights are on behind the blind, one could see through it a bit. So I bought fabric to glue to the inside of it. My favorite choice had violet. I think I ended up with my second choice. Does anybody else spend an hour at Joanns, then go home and never actually DO the projects you dreamed up for yourself while you were there "saving money" on all those sale items? No one is building that much around here yet to judge trends. I think there are a whole new class of working class folks doing service jobs who will never own a home, though. Younger people hate carpets. My 28 yo niece thinks my linoleum is wonderful and calls them "cork" no matter how many times I tell her that cork is one ingredient, but fully cork floors are different. I think that solid surface floors of any kind will help you sell in the future. People see carpet as filthy now.
    ...See More
  • Fun2BHere
    10 years ago

NewHomeBuilder, your table last year was lovely, but I think the pumpkin centerpiece you've arranged for this year is even more wonderful. I can't wait to see the whole table.

Holly-Kay, the pattern in my picture is Spode Woodland and you are right that it has the same feel as JB's His Majesty. In fact, I considered the Johnson Brothers pattern before I bought the Spode. I only have four plates because Thanksgiving is usually very laid back with a maximum of four people. Christmas, on the other hand, we have to split into two different dinners because there's 25+ on each side of the family. I'm getting tired just thinking about those gatherings.

• cat_mom
    10 years ago

Beautiful tables!!!

• romy718
    10 years ago

I've never hosted Thanksgiving but I love setting a holiday table. Your tables are all spectacular.
    Holly-kaye , I do buffet style too but I set the table with the plates. People each pick up a plate from the spot they want to sit at & then head to the food.
    Oakleyok- white plates & add napkins, napkin rings, candles, a tablerunner or placemats in a holiday theme or color. You could also buy a set of holiday decor salad sized plates & put those on top of a white plate. Less expensive than buying a whole place setting.
    Have a wonderful Thanksgiving & safe travels to all.

• Jamesdavis
    10 years ago

This is my first Christmas in my new home. Everything is so messed up that I am not getting time to decorate the house. After seeing these pictures, I am sure that now I can décor table well.

• User
    10 years ago

I love seeing this. I'm excited for the holidays.

Awm - I just love your home. The rich colors, the trim, that table - really wonderful.

• awm03
    10 years ago

Thanks sheesharee, how sweet of you!

Kitty was curious about the flowers. I've never seen her jump onto the sideboard before:

• Lake_Girl
    10 years ago

awm03 - I have some pieces of china just like yours. Some also have a snowy church on them. I love my Johnson Bros. plates. I just put them out for display yesterday.

• nhb22
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That kitty is real? Looks like a porcelain figurine. So pretty!

I love JB china. I have 6 Christmas plates that I bought at TJ Maxx.

Holly-kaye - As romy718 mentioned, we do the same. Place settings on table along with name place cards. Everyone can fix their own drinks (water or tea - wine served) and salad plates. Then we have a blessing standing around the buffet set up in the kitchen. Everyone grabs their dinner plate and it's off to the races!

Oakleyok - romy718's idea is perfect! You can pick up a box of white china at Belk, Macy's or any large department of home goods store. Look for salad plates at antique malls, TJ Maxx or the department stores. If you do not have linens, go to Bed, Bath and Beyond.

Thank you for all the compliments...blush. Sometimes I get carried away. My husband rolls his eyes. Everytime I walk by the dining room table, I am changing something.

This post was edited by newhomebuilder on Tue, Nov 26, 13 at 8:35

• hhireno
    10 years ago

So many pretty tables.

Now I'm slightly regretting giving away so many of my entertaining pieces. As long as my family doesn't see this thread and how nice these tables look, they should be content with whatever I can figure out using what I still have.

Thanks for sharing your pix.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

I have always placed the dining plates on our counter next to the food. Maybe this year I should put the place settings at the table and let everyone pick up from there so I can enjoy a nicely set table.

Awm your kitty is absolutely darling! The toile paper in your dining room is gorgeous and I love your Friendly Village china. That is one of my favorites and is my youngest DD's china. I just bought her a lovely vintage platter that is huge in the FV pattern.

BonnieAnn, I love Thanksgiving too! It is my favorite holiday. We have so much to be thankful for.

All of your tables are so absolutely gorgeous that it puts mine to shame. Thank you all for sharing your beautiful tables!

• tinam61
    10 years ago

I use the vintage Johnson Brother plates sometimes for our Christmas meal. Love using chargers with them also.

Our Thanksgiving table isn't set yet. I have a centerpiece of fresh ivy, dried hydrangeas, mini pumpkins, glass acorn ornaments.

tina

• porkandham
    10 years ago

Very pretty tables. We're going to my father and stepmother's, so I have nothing to show off.

Holly-Kay - We serve buffet style but always set the table. It just looks prettier that way.

• texanjana
    10 years ago

Beautiful tables! We are going to my parent's home for Thanksgiving, so no table to show off here. I am kind of sad, because my MIL gave me her vintage Johnson Brothers Thanksgiving dishes last summer and I haven't gotten to use them yet. I have Spode Christmas Tree (that also belonged to her) that I use at Christmas. Maybe next year.

• nhb22
    Original Author
    10 years ago

texanjana - If you are not using the Thanksgiving JB china, I'd be glad to take them off your hands. :)

• fouramblues
    10 years ago

This is all I've done so far:

Though my table will be rather bland compared to what I've seen here. LOVE the metallic pumpkins!

• outsideplaying_gw
    10 years ago

I haven't set the table yet but will tomorrow afternoon. I put my pilgrims out after Halloween, and a scatter a few other Thanksgiving items around the house. That's about all the decorating I do for now.

• nhb22
    Original Author
    10 years ago

fouramblues - What a gorgeous arrangement! I see you have a cornucopia in the background. What do you plan for that?

outsideplaying - Your Pilgrims are adorable and I love your table runner. I tried to find one long enough for my table, but dialed.

Here is my table mostly set up for the big day. I did not light the candles, and have the lights turned up tonight. I need something on the top plate with color. Not sure what.

• Fun2BHere
    10 years ago

Newhomebuilder, it looks like you are all set up for the big day. I love your butler's tray with the coffee set-up. I've always used my buffet for coffee and dessert, but it's a little tight on that side of the room. I could put a butler's table on the opposite where it would be easier to access. Thanks so much for the inspiration!

• awm03
    10 years ago

NHB, your table setting is gorgeous. Your guests will enjoy the day so much more because of your artistic arrangement. Thanks for starting this thread. It's been such fun seeing everybody's beautiful settings!

• romy718
    10 years ago

Really enjoying seeing all the table settings. For those hosting Thanksgiving, please post pics of your tables & food.
    Newhomebuilder, your table looks perfect without anything on the top plate, but a few ideas: metallic wrapped chocolate candies in a small metallic basket with a ribbon that coordinates with your dishes, party crackers (always surprised at who is willing to put those paper crowns on their heads), tiny pumpkins?

• nhb22
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Fun2BHere - The butlers tray table is a hold all for pretty things. LOL The coffee urn is a new addition from my husbands Aunts estate. I don't think it was ever used, and I am not planning to use it. It was a bear to polish it!

romy718 - Since it is snowing here, I am not planning on getting out. My daughter is suppose to come out after lunch and help me cook. I think she has some mini pumpkins. I like that idea...thank you!

• Fun2BHere
    10 years ago

Newhomebuilder, that coffee urn is beautiful. You're lucky to be the recipient of such a wonderful bequest. I would definitely use it, though. Oxidation from exposure to air creates tarnish, not coffee, so if you are going to display the urn, you may as well use it.

• nhb22
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, I know the coffee would have nothing to do with the tarnish. It's the coffee inside the urn that I would not want to drink. It doesn't hold all that much. Besides not many people drink coffee at functions anymore.

• Gooster
    10 years ago

Here's my slightly holiday themed table. The room is the same one I've been asking for help in another thread. I've been able to try some small changes, but nothing at this end. The table has an extra leaf and the server is set up as a buffet line on the near wall. There is a second table set up next to this one, where LR furniture normally lies. Sadly, we have little in the way of holiday dinnerware. It's the first time we've hosted TG.

This post was edited by gooster on Thu, Nov 28, 13 at 2:05

• awm03
    10 years ago

gooster, elegant setting. Less really can be more!

We celebrated Thanksgiving yesterday since my DIL has to work today. Here's what the final setting looked like, Hope you all aren't sick of seeing my DR by now -- I think I'm just excited because I got the window view and the DR to photograph well at the same time! (off camera flash trick)
    Cranberry sauce went in the cut glass condiment jars. My DIL made it with a little orange & pineapple juice, cinnamon, & fresh ground ginger. It was fabulous. So was her kale, brussel sprout, almond salad.

• Fun2BHere
    10 years ago

Newhomebuilder, I'm sorry that my post about tarnish came across as lecturing. I should have added a smiley face or something to indicate that I was teasing about tarnish coming from air, not coffee. I wish there were a few emoticons available to us on this site.

Gooster, I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving. I think your table setting looks elegant and lovely.

Awm03, what a great picture! The scenery is gorgeous and your dining room looks like a perfect example of autumn...very welcoming.

• nhb22
    Original Author
    10 years ago

gooster - Very elegant. I really like the silver rimmed china.

awm03 - I am glad that you showed us that side of your dining room and that wonderful view. So pretty!

Fun2BHere - Oh no...I didn't think you were coming off as lecturing. Adding my own emoticon. :-)

Well, Happy Thanksgiving anyone who has enough strength left to read this tonight. LOL

I survived the mad rush today. Everyone was able to get here despite the 3" of snow we received yesterday and terribly cold temps overnight. One of the guest had to come over the mountain this morning. It was a little icy in places, but the sun was out bright and clear.

I am THANKFUL that the last of my guest left a few minutes ago, the dishes are cleaned and food put away. Whew! Very long day that started with the first to arrive at 11:00am (grandbaby and his parents) and the last to leave at 6:00 was my oldest daughter. She spent two days here because of the weather. Lives across town.

It was a fun day, but very tiring for me. My husband pitched in big time to clean the dishes this year. I am VERY THANKFUL to him. YAY!

Thanks again for sharing your tables.

• romy718
    10 years ago

I'm living Thanksgiving "dinner" through you all. I'm sitting in a hospital cafeteria reading your posts & looking at your lovely tables. My elderly mother fell & fractured her knee cap that her joint replacement (January) is attached to. I'm hanging with her at the hospital. I have lots to be thankful for. Succeessful surgery, DD & SIL are in from OOT and my 1st grandchild is due in May.
    I've never hosted Thanksgiving but your tables are inspirational.

• awm03
    10 years ago

romy, so sorry. It doesn't sound like a very happy Thanksgiving. What a worry. Hope you can enjoy your time with your DD & SIL and that your mom recovers well.

• nhb22
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So sorry about your mothers fall. I hope she does well.

There is nothing like having a grandchild. Ours was the highlight of the day, today!

I wish I could post his photo, but here is his seat at the table. The Junior chair was mine and my siblings.

This post was edited by newhomebuilder on Thu, Nov 28, 13 at 21:22

• kellyeng
    10 years ago

Totally late to the party but I didn't get my table set until yesterday morning.

My table is super simple but I love it anyway. I used to really dislike my grandmother's Heinrich china but now I think it's absolutely beautiful.

• awm03
    10 years ago

Kellyeng, that is gorgeous -- the china, silver, the beautifully shaped goblets, the natural decorations, those fabulous place mats that I will now try to copy (imitation as sincere flattery, and all that), the wonderful wood table. If I were at your table yesterday, I probably would have sat there admiring everything, forgetting to eat! I love the colors, textures, shapes & patterns.

Did you make the place mats or buy them?

This thread has been terrific for sharing table setting ideas. Would love to see others for all the holidays or even just parties and family get togethers.

This post was edited by awm03 on Fri, Nov 29, 13 at 10:59

• nhb22
    Original Author
    10 years ago

kellyeng - awm03 said everything that I was thinking and was prepared to write. Saved me some fingers to the keyboard. :)

I'd love to see a up close photo of your grandmothers china. I inherited my mother-in-laws and always try to use it for Thanksgiving - for my husband. I also did not care for it when I got it, but now love it!

Yes, I hope that more share their tables and stories from yesterday.

I have got to start thinking about Christmas, but think I will digest yesterday and enjoy my Thanksgiving/fall décor one more day. ;)

• kellyeng
    10 years ago

Thanks you two, your comments made my day!

I was stressing about what to put in the center and then Ina Garten posted something on Facebook about using green grapes for her table decor. I thought, "I have some green grapes!" Then it unfolded from there.

Awm03 - no I wish I sewed! Those place mats came from the Pottery Barn/Williams-Sonoma outlet store. I have a beautiful linen amber colored table cloth as well but I just can't bring myself to covering up the table.

Newhome, My dad purchased the china from the Heinrich factory for my grandmother when he was stationed in Germany, I believe, in the late 50s or early 60s.

• nhb22
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Simply elegant. I'd love it too, especially coming from Germany.

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    10 years ago

Here is ours. We do a Christmasy theme b/c I am in FL for Christmas so this is our major holiday get-together.

• romy718
    10 years ago

Beagles, very elegant & festive. Love the clock & painting.

• nhb22
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My goodness...what a beautiful large room to get together in. :) What state is your home in? At first I thought you meant you were in Florida, now. I was thinking what a fancy Florida home you have there. Then I noticed the woods with a slight slope and thought to myself "that's not Florida." :-)

I cannot bring myself to take down my table and start decorating for Christmas. Yesterday, DH helped me bring up from the basement, some things for outdoors. They are in the garage. We are getting our Christmas tree and 2 fresh wreaths for the front porch from a church fundraiser. They do not come in until next Saturday.

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    10 years ago

newhomebuilder, I'm still in PA, staying here until December 24 :)

Our FL home, the master bath project is (hopefully) getting finished up. We're actually putting that home on the market when I get down to FL this year. I decided I really don't like living so close to neighbors, so we are looking for a new FL house that is on at least 4 acres (instead of the half acre we have now). I'm willing to give up the water view to have more space and privacy.

• Fun2BHere
    10 years ago

Beagles, your cardinal dishes are so cheerful. I love the name of the pattern, Winter Greetings. It's so appropriate to this time of year when we are welcoming friends and family into our homes.

• awm03
    10 years ago

I love cardinal-themed Christmas decor. Beautiful room and setting, beagles! So cheerful.

• nhb22
    Original Author
    10 years ago

beaglesdoitbetter - If you really want the water view, I'll bet there might be a 4 acre parcel of swamp land that you can find. hehehe Really, I am not sure what area you are looking in, but can you find land that large in Florida these days? Although you did say you did not need to be near the water, what about on the marsh?

I have always wanted to live on the marsh versus ocean view. The beach house that we rent every summer is between a canal and the marsh, and only a 5 minute walk to the ocean. It's the best of all worlds, though we do have close neighbors.

Good luck with your renovation and sale.

• olivesmom
    10 years ago

Well for 2014 we *should* be in a new house with an actual formal dining room. And then I can set a lovely table and take pictures of it.

Right now we just have a small eat-in kitchen dining space and since the table is always in use I don't ever get the chance to set it the way I'd like (well that, and thanks to my young kids).

My sorry looking table this year (I did have my Spode woodland gravy boat set out) And what I despise, the kitchen view which is completely visible and in your face as you try to enjoy a nice meal.

Cannot wait for Thanksgiving 2014 and a new dining room.

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    10 years ago

LOL, newhomebuilder... swamp land doesn't sound too attractive :)
    We're looking in Odessa and Tarpon Springs, there are about five different properties I have my eye on online (obviously haven't seen any in person yet). All 4+ acres :)

• nhb22
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I hear that both are nice places to live. :)

olivesmom - At least you were all together - although very close. It really wasn't any different at my house. The kitchen is steps away and can be seen from the dining room. About 5.5 of the 6 hours that everyone was at my house, they were all in the kitchen with me!

• lucas_tx_gw
    10 years ago

Well I know it's kind of late but I was not online all weekend. My TG table is significant because for the first time ever I was able to get all 15 people at one table. Well technically two tables end to end but it reached the desired effect.

Excuse the folding chairs used for little kids, etc but overall I think it turned out well. You'll have to imagine the candlesticks china, crystal, silverware and flowers on each table as well, I forgot to take one after it was finished except after everyone sat down. The photos with people and other missing items in them look at lot better needless to say.

During our recent kitchen remodel, we widened this opening from the breakfast area into the dining room in order to allow this. Up till now, I've turned the tables sideways and gotten them both into the DR, but it was tight. This was much better. The DR table isn't centered in the room because the opening isn't centered, so we're not exactly under the light fixture but hey what the heck. Having a sit down meal served on actual dishes for 15 people in this day and age is something I'm proud of. It makes me sad that no one wants to keep china and crystal anymore. I have two sets, one from one of my grandmothers and one that my MIL got in Germany while there were in the Air Force and some really beautiful crystal that we asked for as wedding gifts.

Really fun TG cooking in the new kitchen and getting everyone together to eat.

• lucas_tx_gw
    10 years ago

Maybe my beautiful cheesecake can take the place of some of the other decorations!

• Fun2BHere
    10 years ago

Olivesmom, I love that your family was together at Thanksgiving and that you used your Woodland gravy boat. Sometimes, a touch of special can make us smile. Cute kiddos.

Lucas_tx, that cheesecake looks scrumptious. Could you send a slice my way? :-) Congratulations on seating everyone at one table. When my family gets together for Christmas, we set up tables all over the house in order to get everyone seated.