SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
maxmillion_gw

Help another MCM fireplace. Bonus: ceilings too!

maxmillion_gw
9 years ago

I need help with the ceilings and red brick fireplace in our house.The redwood ceilings are currently stained grey (see photo). DH wanted to paint them white, but I said no. He picked out a lighter grey stain, since we can't match the original exactly. Now I am thinking the redwood would look really nice sanded down and sealed with no stain. There is some water damage, and I'm not sure if that is repairable.

I'm especially at a loss on the fireplace. Leave it? Cover it? Stain it? Decorate it with some kind of artwork??? We have already removed the hearth and are adding a gas log lighter. For now we are leaving the brass and wire mesh screen to pass code but will definitely remove that later. Whatever we do, I want the interior and exterior treatment to be the same.

Below is a listing photo from when we bought the house and photos of our furniture for the open living / dining / kitchen area. [Edited to add: We plan to paint the posts and beams white and replace the carpet with grey porcelain tile in the living / dining / kitchen.] Throughout the bedroom and bathroom side (not pictured) we have cork flooring, walnut doors, white walls, and a mix of mostly walnut and white furniture with pops of color. The bathrooms are white, walnut and teak. In any given room you would see walnut + ceiling + one other wood (cedar, cork, or teak).

WWGWD? (What Would Garden Web Do?)

This post was edited by maxmillion on Thu, Nov 13, 14 at 15:58

Comments (53)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!