SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
adam211_gw

Help with layout of built-in shelves around fireplace

adam211
9 years ago

We are finally getting ready to work on our living room and are looking to put built in shelves on either side of the fireplace. I was thinking of shelves approximately the height of the fireplace, but I could maybe be convinced otherwise.

We have a chair on order that will go in front of the current dark ikea bookshelves, and we'll be putting a large picture up above the mantle. Also, the window on the left will be replaced with three windows of a unique pattern with craftsman trim like it was 106 years ago.

My question is, what height should the built-in shelves be? Many homes around here have the shelves slightly below the height of the fireplace mantle, but often they have windows above. I don't have the windows, but was thinking of doing something similar. Looking at it now though, I'm worried that shelves to the bottom of the fireplace trim would be too low and out of proportion.

Options 1 & 2. It's about 42.5" to the bottom of the mantle trim, and 49" to the top. Should I put the top of the bookshelves at one of those dimensions?

I've seen some shelves that are the same height as the fireplace mantle to make one big mantle but I find that it often looks oddly proportioned. However, my fireplace sticks out a good deal from the back wall -- 20.5" excluding the trim, and the shelving unit would come out about 13" of that 20.5".

Option 3. A third option is to put the shelves about 3" below the top mantle flush with the bottom of the mantle shelf, which would keep the shelves from looking too squatty. I'm most strongly considering this option and the option to make the shelves the same height as the mantle.

I think shelves all the way to the ceiling may not look quite right even though I don't have windows due to the fireplace width and the strange shape the shelves would have to be unless we did some drywall work.

Another note, it's my choice whether I want the shelves split in half or not, but with the longest shelf area being 45" I probably should split because I intend to put books on the shelf, even though I would much prefer the look of long shelves.

Thoughts? I can't visualize very well so I'm hopeful someone else might be able to better than I can.

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County