SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
snoozingpug

RFG island with soapstone perimeter countertops?

snoozingpug
13 years ago

Ok - my husband and I radically changed our kitchen design when we came across this slab of rainforest green marble (pictured with one of our cabinet doors):

But the warehouse had only this one slab, so we have just enough to do our island (8' by 36") and a buffet area opposite the back of the island (8' by 16").

We also have a couple other perimeter countertops that are more in the "work area" of the kitchen (where there is the prep sink, range (ivory color), and refrigerator). The main sink (undermount in white cast iron) is in the island with the Rainforest Green. We had tentatively decided on a warm stain wood countertops to pull in the brown/red from the RFG. But my husband is quite worried about having wood around a sink and also around the stove. I am too, actually. We are also worried about having wood countertops competing/clashing with the wood floors.

Our first love in countertops (before we found the RFG) was a black quiet soapstone, like Cobra. Opinions on how Cobra soapstone would look as perimeter countertops in the work area, with the RFG as the island??

FWIW, our hardware will all be ORB, which pulls in a dark element, our floors are a natural stained oak with dark walnut ribboning around the adjacent dining room. All other walls are mostly glass that look out to trees or deck or screen porch in the backward, so there is a lot of light.

Help - we keep second- and triple- guessing ourselves over the perimeter countertops. Oh, and if you insist wood is best, can you recommend a manufacturer?

Thanks so much...

Comments (8)