SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dlm2000

Save my marriage!!!

DLM2000-GW
11 years ago

DH and I rarely battle over house issues - he defers to me on decor decisions and I defer to him on structural/mechanical/non-decor elements. But we're stuck on this one because it's really both.

Our house is old, 1936, the front door is original with wavy glass and all. We've reached the limits of what weather stripping can do and need a storm door. We are agreed it has to be a full view. I want to paint it the same color as the wood door, Cottage Red. **HE**, being the engineer, Mr Science and all, says no way are we painting over the factory finish of a brand new storm door and setting ourselves up for maintenance on that. The practical side of me agrees however....... I don't know what color will work. I've been driving around looking at every house in the area to see what they have for storm doors and front doors, red entry doors being of most interest to me, of course. Most are white, and blend pretty well into the wood trim around the door which also tends to be white. But our white trim isn't a true white at all so I'm afraid the storm door will look too white by comparison. I've also seen some black storm doors with red entry doors, even though the trim around the door is white and oddly enough they seem to work, almost disappearing altogether. We have black shutters so it might make sense - yes? The factory finish red is not an option at all - they tend to be cranberry reds. What do you think will work best - white or black?

(Please don't suggest a wood storm that we can paint - not going there for several reasons)

Comments (43)