SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
neetsiepie

Shower stall emergency

neetsiepie
12 years ago

Today the fiberglass pan in our MB stall shower cracked. We've been talking about replacing that shower for a while, but it's been back burnered due to about 18 thousand other priorities. Well, now, it's been bumped up to the top 10. Fortunately we have another shower we can use in the interim, but we will have to make a decision soon on what to do.

DH can temporarily repair the crack, but we're sure it cracked because the subfloor needs replaced...can't tell unless we pull the whole unit out and see it. It's more likely due to a crummy install by the PO, but we're prepared for the worst.

So here is the emergency...it's a 36" stall in a tiny bathroom. DH barely fits in there and often has to poke his arms out the side to shampoo, I hate it because it's so dark and impossible to clean well. So we're considering a neo-angle shower, that ought to give us more elbow room while not taking up as much visual & floor space. But...in our plans we want to add about 2' of depth to the room, and we wanted to do a nice big double shower with tile & glass doors in that new space. But that is a big undertaking and means a big reno...includes work done to the bedroom, too.

At this point we can delve into savings to do the big reno, but we'd really rather not do that at this time.

Does anyone have a rounded or neo-angle stall shower? Can I get your thoughts on a pre-fab fibergass unit versus a tiled/glass space in the same size that we would install. I realize the tile option will cost more initially, but until we did a major reno, that would be my preferred choice.

Comments (2)