SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kmcgowan35

Good source for exterior shutters?

chicagoans
11 years ago

The short question is: do you know of a good source for exterior shutters? I know there are many online, but it's hard to tell the quality.

The long story is:

We're replacing the windows in 4 rooms. (Shown by arrows in pictures below.) While workers are here to install the windows, we'd like to replace the crummy painted shutters we have now. We'll eventually replace the front door and sidelights (plus the two big windows in front) with a door from ProVia (our Andersen window rep provided the info) or Therma Tru or similar - fiberglass that looks like stained wood but wears better. (We're not doing this yet due to cost, and also we might rebuild the front porch.)

So I'm thinking of replacing the shutters with something similar to the ProVia doors - look like stained wood but wear better, instead of painted. I'm just not sure where to look.

FWIW - I know that shutters are supposed to look like they can actually close and cover the window, but these little shutters are common around here. And in terms of style, well our house is a bit of a hybrid (was a ranch with basement; POs put on the second floor; we added an addition off the back that looks different than the front, mostly because I didn't want more painted brick.) So I don't know what kind of style would look appropriate, although I'll probably stick with the paneled style we have now. I photoshopped a pair of the shutters out, and I think it would look too bare to just remove them.

OK end of long question... shutter source? Style: painted or faux wood to kind of match eventually new front door?

Here are some pictures and thanks in advance!(I'm embarrassed at how bad the grass and shutters look, and took these on a grey, dreary day. Yikes.)

Front:

Back:

{{!gwi}}

Front with shutters removed:

{{!gwi}}

Colors for fiberglass faux wood door; we're likely to go with one of these:

{{!gwi}}

Comments (5)