SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cbug

HURRY - rev-a-shelf 2 tier cookware orgnzer- opinions?

cbug
13 years ago

Getting ready to place my cabinet order when I stumbled across this (vertical storage for pans). Should I put the brakes on? Was doing 3 bank drawers by stove thinking I'd put the skillets in them/nested maybe? That whole take 3 out 3 skillets to get to the bottom one drives me nuts.

Any body have this or think its a good idea?

http://www.rev-a-shelf.com//Common/Products.aspx?Class=Sink%20&%20Base%20Accessories&Family=Chrome%20Accessories&Category=Cookware/%20Dinnerware%20Organizers&Series=5CW2%20Series&PartNo=5CW2-1222-CR

Comments (11)

• westsider40
    13 years ago

I also don't like nesting. Who would?

An idea I frankly like more is using dividers in the drawers going across the width and marching front to back. No nesting. Lisalists2000, hope that's right, did her Ikea k with those mods. It would be easy to copy.

Do a google search for lisalists2000 and check it out BEFORE you order. It was one of the best ideas I got from gw. Kind of saved me w/ my small k. Greatly increases the storage space and easy to retrieve pots/pans.

• joyjoyjoy
    13 years ago

I found the lisa pictures and OMG I love it. It didnt get answered on that thread.. but is that an Ikea organizer? I think it is an ikea cabinet...

Here is a link that might be useful: lisa cookware storage

• cbug
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I did see hers. It is a great idea.
    I don't know if the larger skillets I have are better off vertical though....and they wont fit in a 3 drawer bank if I try to do them vertical. My cab. drawers are around 9" tall.

• nishka
    13 years ago

Have you seen the option Thomasville cabinets offers? I haven't been able to find it anywhere but Thomasville. If I could get my Photobucket to cooperate, I'd post a picture but below is a link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Thomasville Pantry Pot Rack

• chinchette
    13 years ago

I have the one the OP is referring to and I love it. I am using it for lids on top, and on the bottom I have two Le Cruset pans that I don't use all that often,and another pan. It frees up space in my pot drawer for the other pans that are used all the time and for pots. Works for me.

• chinchette
    13 years ago

One more thing- that unit doesn't work with large pans. I have a humongous pan in the drawer next to it, and usually one pan on top of that. I like a combination of the drawer and that unit. Depends on how much space you have. My rev-a shelf is under my cooktop where I had unused space.

• jrueter
    13 years ago

I don't have that rev-a-shelf unit, and I don't mind nesting a few pans, but DH was completely incapable of nesting pans despite his engineering degree.
    I put a very inexpensive adjustable divider from IKEA to "file" lids and pans in my magic corner organizer and it works great. It could be used in any drawer, or on a shelf too.

• westsider40
    13 years ago

Cbug, If you haven't placed your order yet, that's good. It's a good idea to decide on organiizers before you place your order. You could still now increase the drawer height from 9" to 11 or 12, with a small drawer on top. Don't know how large your k is or how much space u have.

• texaskitchentoo
    13 years ago

I installed on of the Rev-a-shelf 12" cookware organizer and a regualr 12" two-tier organizer in the existing base cabinet. We like them a lot. I had to get creative to work around the gas outlet and cooktop plug. I also glues a 1/4" sheet of plywood to the base of the cabinet to give the screws something more substantial to bite into. Did the same with our double trash can and that has held up for over 5 years.

Major hint: Buy some clear poly tubing at the big box store. 3/16" inside diameter for the thicker wires, the next size smaller for the other wires. Use a razor blade to split the tubing down one side. Now work the clear tubing over the chrome wires so that your pots and pans won't slide on the wires and the edges of your pans won't get marred. Also, because my pans have long handles, I had to cut down the height of the wire bar that holds the handles up. Otherwise the handles extended so high they hit the underside of the lid shelf. {{!gwi}}From GW Album
    {{!gwi}}From GW Album

• cirone
    13 years ago

i installed my first rev-a-shelf yesterday and addicted! move over, elfa, i am no longer dreaming about you at night. while i would love to replace all my cabs w/ the awesome things i see on GW, it is totally not in our budget. but this can!

i wanted to comment and say how AWESOME the GW community is! i did a search for rev-a-shelf after installing mine and found the oh-so-helpful hint above from texaskitchentoo. (thank you!)

my contribution is for those who are mounting doors but have little (not anywhere near full overlay) doors. despair come over me when i saw that the brackets were just slightly wider than my door, making silver lines visible from the outside on both sides. but all i had to do was invert it, keeping the curved part at top, and it worked. or maybe i just read the instructions wrong and this is really the way it's supposed to be done :P

here's a picture of it before the door is mounted and afterwards. i've been excited about throwing trash away all day today! i love having these 2 things together because all my prep work can happen without moving :D

{{!gwi}}

also, i've discovered that all the RAS stuff I've been interested in has been cheaper at Lowes than online elsewhere, and there's more selection in the Lowes store than on their (subpar) website. who would have thought?