SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jane__ny

Working with a Stager...

jane__ny
15 years ago

As some of you know I am planning to put my house up for sale in the Spring and have been obsessing about dressing it up. I contacted 3 stagers who work in my area for a free consultation. The first Stager came yesterday.

I think she was over-whelmed and suggested I contact a Realtor before I do another thing. She did suggest I consider refinishing the kitchen cabinets. That would lead to replacing counter-tops, back-splash, floor and before you know it I'd be spending a fortune redoing the entire kitchen. I'm working on 4 bathrooms, sunroom wood floors, painting.I don't want to do a kitchen remodel.

Next week I have two different Stagers coming.

Jane

{{gwi:1871155}}

{{gwi:1871156}}

Comments (30)

• awm03
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I'd just keep it as clean and uncluttered as possible. Let the buyers put in the money to redo the kitchen in their own tastes.

• allison0704
    15 years ago

I wouldn't spend much money either - and what you do spend, make it on things you can take with you.

From the photos, I would removed everything you have on top of the cabinets, put up all appliances but coffee maker and toaster (put it up if you don't use it regularly), all "extras" like the glass cake stand/cover and remove items from window ledge above sink. I would also remove all cooking pots/pans/dishes from the shelves and sparingly use decorative objects with a few cookbooks on them.

I might even be tempted to hang a few pieces of framed artwork up high on the wall -not necessarily cooking posters. Bring colors found in artwork down to the countertop/flooring.

Here is a link that might be useful: Vintage Artwork - art.com

• Related Discussions

Anyone use a stager?

Q

Comments (30)
    okmoreh, I don't understand how you are interpreting the postings as being solely from sellers and real estate agents. We are in more of a buyer's market, so sellers are eager to get some helpful advice on how to make their homes as attractive to buyers as possible. I am sure that when it was a seller's market that the buyers were here asking for advice on the best ways to find a house and how best to make an offer. sweeby, our previous house was an Eichler, but I have retained my nom de plume. That was truly our favorite house. I would say that our house/neighborhood would be classified as upper middle class. Our house certainly is no mansion! When I was a kid, I always figured that the folks on the Beverly Hillbillies lived in a $1M house, and our house is nothing like that. It is just over 3,000 square feet, 4 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, 3 car garage, living room, dining room, family room. We were at Ikea last night and picked up a few pictures, a sofa table, and some accessories for the master bathroom to make it "spa-like". We did not find any $150 leather sofas or other outrageously inexpensive furniture. Thank you all again for your helpful suggestions. I guess no one posting has worked with a stager and decided to rent furnishings during the period their house is for sale? I was hoping to get a little first hand information. clg7067, it is funny looking at the Cort website. They prominently feature the Mies van der Rohe chair we have in their room scenes (the black leather armless chair with chrome legs), but do not seem to offer it for rent. Is Cort trying to look sophisticated using that piece (making us, of course, sophisticated people) or are they trying to appeal to the bachelor who may like leather and clean lines? Our fear is that our furnishings are too masculine and may turn off the female buyer... well, at least that is what the stager was trying to make us believe.
    ...See More

Note about accessories for Kohler 45 "Stagers"

Q

Comments (2)
    Sounds good! I actually sold the ones that came with my Stages sink because they were just too heavy for me to use easily.
    ...See More

Hope it wasn't a rookie mistake by stager

Q

Comments (7)
    Hope it wasn't a rookie mistake by stager What exactly do you hope it was instead? A mistake by the homeowner in not hiring a stager for their million + property? Combined with their interior decorating errors? I totally agree that the rugs are undersized. The space would be enhanced with some larger and bolder art, as well as better placement (eye level) for the art. There are also visible vacuum marks on the upholstered living room furniture. Honestly, though, I think the space has such great light and volumes that it probably won't make much difference in how fast it sells or how much they get for it.
    ...See More

My stager experience

Q

Comments (33)
    @graywings123, Recap: fill a spray bottle with white vinegar and add 1 Tablespoon blue Dawn. Thoroughly wet the shower door with the mixture. Let set 10 minutes (“if your shower door hasn’t been cleaned in 3 years, let the mixture set overnight”). Scrub vigorously with the GREEN side of a Scotch-Brite Heavy Duty Scrub Sponge. Rinse thoroughly. The theory is that the vinegar dissolves the minerals causing the deposits on the glass while the Dawn creates viscosity that holds the vinegar in place long enough to do its job. The final step is to clean both sides of the glass with Windex. Below are before and after pictures. She made the comment that the bathroom had taken them two hours to clean but that included the shower stall which was pretty gross. After scrubbing, but before Windex: The video also shows cleaning water spots off the fixtures in the shower using the same mixture, but cautions not to use the green side of the sponge on the fixtures because it will scratch them. The women at gocleanco must eat their Wheaties every morning. They sure do attack the cleaning tasks with vigor! DH and I are pretty consistent about squeegeeing and drying our shower doors. But occasionally life happens. We forget or something is so pressing that we cannot take the minute or so needed to squeegee. When that happens, I use liquid BKF and a blue scrubby sponge the next time I shower.
    ...See More
  • Happyladi
    15 years ago

Is your floor tile grout dark or is it dirty? If it is just dirty a good cleaning to whiten it would really improve the look of the floor. I would wait unitl a couple of weeks before it goes on the market, though. I used Clorox Bleach Pen Gel. What a difference it made!

I agree about decluttering. I would also paint the walls a warm beigey brown or soft green. The white seems cold. Updating the handles would be a good idea.

A

• graywings123
    15 years ago

I'm not sure if you are asking for suggestions or just updating us, but here is your thread from September on the subject.

What have you done in the room since September? How about some new pics to show your progress, even if it is just decluttering - which everyone agreed was a good first step.

Here is a link that might be useful: Selling my house, trying to dress it up for sale

• nhb22
    15 years ago

And here is the post from a few days ago about wall color for cabinets.

Here is a link that might be useful: Paint color which works with these cabinets?

• jerseygirl_1
    15 years ago

Besides decluttering, you can give the cabinets a little bit of an update by changing out the hardware. Try Target for hardware.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    15 years ago

I would go to Michael's or some place like that and pick up some baskets and put some fake ivy in it and place a few of them on top of the top cabinets to give some color and softness to the kitchen without spending much money. Decluttering and making sure everything is very clean are essential. I agree about updating the hardware.

• jane__ny
    Original Author
    15 years ago

This was just an update regarding the Stager. I haven't done much to the kitchen yet except to patch the ceilings and move some wiring. I am replacing some cans with pendents. I have the painter working on other rooms because the ceiling holes had to be patched.

The floor grout is chocolate brown and I had a grout person in to give an estimate on making it light. The cost was not worth it. I looked into lightening it myself, but it was too complicated.

The Stager told me not to paint until I consult with a Realtor regarding a price point and what buyers are willing to accept. She felt I should not do a thing with the room until that is done. I have tried various pulls on the cabinets and she didn't like any. Neither did I. She felt the cabinets should be refinished to a darker color.

The kitchen appears cluttered because I had to move things from the adjoining sunroom while work was going on. Those items are never on the counters. I just shot the pic without moving anything.

I've been working on bathrooms. The kichen has to be last as it will be the most expensive depending on what I decide to do. I work full-time and it is hard for me to coordinate workers and work when I'm not home. It is disturbing to have work done when you are not there to watch or direct.

I appreciate all the great opinions,

Jane

• nanjean68
    15 years ago

I think we're all watching too much HGTV. A realtor is going to price your house according to what other houses are selling for in your area. To put in a lot of money isn't worth it. Try and make it as simple and clean as possible without fake flowers or fake greenery. This is a bad time to sell any type of home anywhere. Stagers don't want to give you free advice, they want to get paid. Forget them. Good luck.

• robin_DC
    15 years ago

Good luck. I think the stager's suggestion of making your cabinets darker is a great one; you have the right style & grain pattern to get a modern/contemporary look with a dark finish.

• User
    15 years ago

I think I understand that you feel you need help updating but want to minimize the effort and $.
    When I look at your kitchen, I see a very nice space, with good quality features, but it does look a bit "tired".

To be honest, the cabinets and the backsplash, to me, look to be the areas to address. I agree with the suggestions to use one of those gel finishes that people on here have used with great results (and they said it was pretty easy- certainly easier than painting if I recall) --in a darker color. That would be my suggestion. I suspect that would really make a big difference, along with possibly new hardware ( I am thinking cheap and easy and big bang for the buck).
    I wonder if with the darker cabinets, the backsplash/counters might be less of an issue.
    I really think the darker cabinets would work so much better with what you have, that while the kitchen might not be everyone's dream kitchen, it would be more of a neutral.
    Hope I wasn't too negative. And as far as stagers go, I would really look for references and make sure the person is effective..

• bodiCA
    15 years ago

Jane, I just want to give you a (((((hug)))))
    I feel your strain, trying to work, doing your best preparing your house to sell and the stress of selling in these times, that's enough by it's self! You have done alot, the inviting sun room, and the bath fixtures look great. Sincerely trying to put myself in your shoes, I think I would pack, unsealed, ready to move but retrevable if really needed. Why move things around and pack twice. Mark eack box clearly and stack in like piles, kitchen, bath etc. You still have everything if you want it but out of sight/way and clutter, and the relief of knowing it's Done, ready to go and marked off your list. Forget the cabinets and hardware, new owner may want to gut and do something completely different. If my hubby bought a place redone, he'd make me live with it and I'd be furious I didn't get to create my own decor. Today isn't about staging, it's the economy. No matter how much money you spend chances are you wont get it back. Clean working order, up to code to pass inspection easily and let new owners take it from there. Deep breath, let it go and save your money and sanity. If it's clean, you've done your best and can look to your own future. Spring will be here very soon.....

• susanlynn2012
    15 years ago

Despite darker kitchen cabinets probably looking nicer in that kitchen, I see a white refrigerator, a black dishwasher and a stainless steel oven. I have a feeling whoever buys your home will see potential to redo the kitchen and keep what they like and change what they do not like. You could try a gel to darken the cabinets add stainless steel hardware or you could leave everything alone and de-clutter it (my kitchen also have everything I use on the counters since I want to live in my kitchen but for sale, less is better) and hope someone sees a nice home with potential to be their own.

I have oak veneer cabinets in my kitchen and one day I want to put a gel on them if I can to lessen the oak grain. I like Oak when it is a solid wood but when it is veneered like on my cabinets (that are wearing out) then I like less grain.

If your refrigerator was black or stainless steel, I would suggest black cabinets to have the dark grout look like it does nicely in there. You can still do this but then again, you may find a buyer who prefers new cabinets and to redo the kitchen and would want just a price allowance to clinch the deal.

• jane__ny
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks everyone, bodica that hug sounds good. Lynn2006 the fridge and dishwasher are going. The stove is new. I'm totally stuck as to what to do. Leave it or work on it. I've never felt so dam stuck! I want to try to sell the house fast and for a good price. I believe fixing it up makes it more salable. This is not a good house market.

I'm afraid to fool with the gels because I might mess up and then I have to finish the cabinets. Its risky, I have little time and am really afraid. I spent the day painting. I bought 64 quarts of BM paint plus numerous samples and am even more confused. My painter is going to kill me tomorrow because he primed the walls and I have huge swatches of color all over. Tried greens, golds, beiges, all sorts of colors. Its now night time and they all look different.

Two colors looked promising, BM Chocolate Mousse and Stonehouse Grey (which looks greenish).

Oh, bodica you are right about boxing things. I started some and have boxes all over my basement. I need to get all this stuff packed but I'm not putting the house on until Spring and need some things. Most can get boxed.

So much to do, and I'm so depressed with the kitchen. I have to make a decision this week.

Thanks again,
    Jane

• nhb22
    15 years ago

Speaking of HGTV. I saw a show where the designer had a sheet of stainless steel (sold in the hardware section of Lowe's or HD) cut to the exact size of the dishwasher panel. Viola... they had a new looking dishwasher!

• lyfia
    15 years ago

As for the gel, try it on the back of a door first. A door that is in a darker spot. It won't be something that is really noticable. You could probably practice on several that way.

Search for the directions here and/or on the kitchen forum and follow those.

• susanlynn2012
    15 years ago

I am glad the stove is staying. I love your stainless steel stove and I am sure potential buyers will also. I like the idea of making the dishwasher match the stove so on one side of the room the appliances match. Mine do not match either since I am replacing one at a time when they totally break down with stainless steel. My dishwasher is next and then the stove to match my 2 year old LG FD Stainless Steel refrigerator that I love.

If I was selling, I would place a panel in the almond paneled Whirlpool dishwasher. I was going to do this 2 years ago but I could see that the dishwasher was not going to last much longer and surprisingly the 18 year old dishwasher is still working but not efficiently.

maybe you can just replace the kitchen door handles with satin nickel or stainless steel and find a stainless steal panel for the dishwasher to get by for now.

• sarahnc
    15 years ago

In this market it isn't a bad idea to give your house ANY advantage as you can. Your kitchen *is* dated. I think by doing some small things you will move your house faster. Replacing the hardware is a must. Maybe painting the cabinets? I just got sheet metal for a back splash in my play room and would suggest you get the stainless from a HVAC place. *MUCH* cheaper than Lowes/HD. It will update your dishwasher. Your fridge does seem out of place and outdated. Maybe swap that and you probably will take the new one with you (unless they ask for it in the contract). Are you handy? You could replace the tile countertop with granite tiles for little money (if you can lay them yourself).

• nhb22
    15 years ago

sarahnc - What you got from the HVAC place...is that stainless steel, or just sheet metal?

• sarahnc
    15 years ago

Newhomebuilder, we got sheet metal b/c I wanted it to be magnetic. We got a fairly large piece (10ft x 4 ?) for around $30. I *believe* they also sell stainless steel. Much cheaper than the big box home stores and they will cut it for you. My neighbor said they will also do finishes (with a sander) but she got a sheet of stainless for a dishwasher just like what was suggested for the OP.

• robin_DC
    15 years ago

Jane,

After I posted above, I read your other threads, and really feel for you--this sounds so stressful and I think the property taxes would give me a heart attack!! But I don't think you can get away with just replacing the cabinet handles. I do think you could keep the floor and backsplash since they are neutral, and maybe the countertop too (though if you really can get granite for free I'd do that).

In your price point, and if the demographics of buyers in your area tend to be affluent younger couples, I really think leaving the cabinets as-is (even with new knobs) would be a serious detriment to your ability to sell at an acceptable price --- unless your realtor says people are likely to buy it as a tear down and re-build on the lot (which doesn't sound likely from what you've posted so far).

Even if buyers plan to rip everything out and do a major remodel of their own, there's still that first impression that you mentioned. Plus, if the kitchen stays as is, people may discount your house's value by their imagined cost of the remodel, which is probably a lot more than it would cost you to hire someone to change the cabinet finish. And -- speaking as someone who bought a house 4 years ago that was very dated and needed updates throughout the house (which I am still doing) --- I think most people, even those who like renovating/remodeling, when faced with a room that seems dated, ask themselves 'can I live with it as is, and for how long?' In that analysis, there's a difference between a kitchen that has been updated in a way that's not to your taste, and a kitchen that hasn't been updated at all. And I think that a very dark java or black finish on the cabinets would shift your kitchen to the 'not my taste but livable for a while' category, whereas it currently runs the risk of being 'too dated to live with for one day--has to be remodeled before we move in.' And the problem is, if there is another house on the market that needs less work, buyers will choose that and pass you by.

I don't mean that to insult or dishearten you at all. Honestly I'd have much preferred to have your current kitchen vs. the kitchen in my house when I bought it; it's clear that you chose high quality materials when you did the kitchen, and the tile and backsplash are neutral. But most buyers in the demographic you describe are not like me (in fact most of my colleagues when I worked in the private sector fit that demographic exactly and purchased homes in DC neighborhods/suburbs comparable to westchester). I deemed my kitchen 'not livable for one day' and replaced the floors, countertop, & stove before I moved in. But I bought near the height of the market in 2004 (when in this area most houses had multiple offers and bidding wars within 2-3 days of being listed), so I didn't feel I had the luxury of continuing to wait to find the perfect place. In fact, even in that market, my house had been on the market for weeks and I bought it for less than appraised value; given the bidding wars on similar houses in my neighborhood, the dated decor seems to have deterred a lot of buyers.

If the market in Westchester county has slowed at all this year, buyers are likely to be quite picky, and the more yo can do to make your house appealing, the better. Unless you're in a community where very few houses come on the market, and there are lots of people waiting to buy, I think the kitchen could make buyers pass you by because they don't want to take on a major renovation project immediately.

I would not advise painting the cabinets white because the grain is likely to show through and hiring a professional to cover up the grain and get a factory-type finish would probably be cost-prohibitive. But I think applying a gel stain or the dark brown paints like some others in the forum have used would be straightforward, and you may be able to get a handyman to do that (or your realtor may be able to recommend someone inexpensive).

I wish you the best of luck.

Here is a link that might be useful: Oak-to-Dark cabinet Redo (by girlwithaspirin)

• nhb22
    15 years ago

sarahnc - Thanks! I couldn't understand why an HVAC place would have stainless steel.

• susanlynn2012
    15 years ago

robin_dc, thanks for the pics of the oak kitchen transformation to a modern kitchen with darker cabinets and stainless steel appliances, along with the counter top color changing.

I now think Jane should try to use a gel to make her cabinets black, put in a stainless steel panel in her dishwasher and if possible buy a stainless steel refrigerator (new or used). The grout in the tile would go better with the cabinets. Also you need stainless steel or brushed nickel new handles.

I know if I was to sell my home in my neighborhood, I would have to do updating in my kitchen since just about everyone has done so in my townhouse complex. Most of my neighbors have made major changes. Since I am not yet selling, I am slowly fixing up my home which I am finding out is quite costly.

• kay123
    15 years ago

Just thinking if I were a potential buyer what I would be looking for in your kitchen:
    All stainless steel appliances
    Granite or updated counters in a black or white/cream
    Same style of pulls that you have but silver (any chance of just having them redone, might be cheaper?)
    The sink reglazed white/black or a new stainless sink to go with your nice faucet.
    I like white or off-white walls and would consider it more modern feeling.
    I would be thinking that I could easily paint/re-stain the cabinets if I want, add a personal backsplash down the road and the floor tile is neutral enough for now.
    I love the height of the room, it makes the kitchen look so much bigger. Hope you can relax soon :-)
    Kay

• Happyladi
    15 years ago

Am I the only one that doesn't think a black dishwasher looks bad with other stainless appliances? Don't most stainless appliances have black on them, too?

You can spray paint cabinet pulls, just prime them first and spray paint them. Use several light coats.

• terezosa / terriks
    15 years ago

I think that it would be easier to paint the cabinets a dark brown then to use the gel stain. I would use a satin finish paint.
    You can also buy a spray paint that has a "satin nickel" finish (or similar) for the pulls, though I don't know how well that will hold up.
    And I don't think that a grout stain is particularly difficult to apply. You would need to make sure that the old grout is very clean, then apply the grout stain with a paint brush. You don't need to be very careful, as the excess should come off easily from the tile if you wipe it off while it is still wet. I would recommend asking about grout stain at the John Bridge Tile Forums, or ask Bill Vincent, who hangs out alot on the Bath and Kithcen forums here on GardenWeb.

• jane__ny
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Robin, you said it all. That is exactly the area I live in. Thank you for explaining it so well. This move has cost me more than I could ever imagine and its hard to know where to put the money. The sunroom off the kitchen had to be completely rebuilt because it was eaten by carpenter ants (never saw an ant in there). Decided to freshen it up by painting and replacing a sliding door when the work-men found all the beams eaten. The entire room was replaced to the tune of $24,000. A skylight was leaking and when the men got on the roof, found the plywood rotted and a new roof was put on, $14,000. Talk about nervous breakdown, I nearly had one.

Then updating the kitchen, 4 bathrooms, refinishing the wood floors throughout and carpet in the family room. Then painting all the walls. I never realized how expensive painters are!

I am replacing the refrigerator, might try the stainless panel on the DW. Did refinish a tub, new vanity and top. Beadboard in powder room. But the kitchen looms heavy.

I updated 18 yrs ago. If you look at my upper cabinets, you'll see different pulls. I have bought so many different pulls, and don't like any of them. Neither did the stager. I have some very expensive pulls, but nothing looks good on those cabinets. They have to be brass/copper because the doors have a brass beading along the molding on the doors. Can't remove it, I tried.

We are not handy at all. We both work long hours and have little time to take on such a project of staining the cabinets. I can ask the carpenter what he would charge. I will do that. We have a Realtor coming on Wed. We'll see what she says. I know this area. Buyers market and very slow. High end and the competition is tough. I need to get buyers in the door...that's another story.

Thanks so much to you all. I hope I never move again!

Brass beading on cabinet doors - notice different pulls
    {{gwi:1802695}}

Jane

• fussy_chicken
    15 years ago

Jane,
    I'm wondering if you really need a stager at this point. If you haven't found a real estate agent yet, I would suggest doing that first. Put your limited energy into interviewing several of them. Many of them have obtained training in staging or have learned this on the job. Get their insight.

I would consider the many excellent suggestions you've gotten here, decide what will give you the most impact for your money and then continue to bounce ideas around for (free!)feedback.

Next get names of people to contact who can give estimates on your kitchen work. Again, a realtor should be able to suggest several. You mentioned that you are already working with painters - can they give you an estimate on staining your cabinets?

I love the photos in the link from Robin. That kitchen was a beautiful transformation. Once you have changed the color, simple but updated pulls like in those photos would do wonders for your kitchen. Presently I don't care for the way you have pulls on the bottoms of your doors. I think simple knobs on the doors and pulls on drawers would look much more up to date. (though I really do like the vertical pulls on doors used by girlwithaspirin)

Good luck. You're going to get there!

• sarahnc
    15 years ago

DH flips houses for a living and since buying a home is such an emotional purchase he says it pays to pull at their heart strings a bit. No offense but your kitchen will slow down the sale of your home in my opinion. I think you already know that based on this thread. I know it is hard to put money in places when you are moving but I really think $5K-$7K can CHANGE this kitchen. Once you paint the cabinets the new hardware will fit. I still would change the counter tops. Buyers really demand solid/stone surface once you hit $250,000 +.

• awm03
    15 years ago

"The Stager told me not to paint until I consult with a Realtor regarding a price point and what buyers are willing to accept. She felt I should not do a thing with the room until that is done."

This sounds like the best advice of all. You've put in a *fortune* already in structural improvements and refinishing. Whether to sink more money that you may not recoup into the kitchen totally depends on what your competition is like. If other homes IN YOUR PRICE RANGE have remodeled kitchens, then a coat of paint on yours ain't gonna cut it. If the other homes have dated kitchens, then by all means spruce up: take the free black granite, paint the walls gray green, and throw an oriental runner down to cover the tile floor. I live over the border in Fairfield County, and I know there are buyers just trying to get a foothold in the area (that was me 12 years ago). Forget trying to keep up with Letterman/Martha/Hillary. They aren't your competition anyway.

Sounds like your home has a lot going for it: new roof, new sunroom, 4 bathrooms (the basement one is beautiful), refinished floors and new carpet. That saves buyers loads in expenses that can go towards a new kitchen of their dreams.