SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
carol08_gw

True quartzite stone and radon?

carol08
13 years ago

OK, IÂm reluctant to even bring this up because I donÂt want to start another storm of debate about whether granite countertops present a radon risk. IÂve read previous posts on that topic and as much scientific literature as I can find and IÂve concluded that: (a) most granite probably emits little or no radon, (b) a small percentage of granite might emit significant amounts of radon, (c) if one already has granite countertops and one is worried about radon, the best thing to do is to simply test oneÂs home for radon, and (d) there is currently no reliable and valid way for a consumer to test, prior to installation, whether a particular slab is a problematic one. If I were the typical consumer, I suspect that I probably wouldnÂt worry too much.

Unfortunately, IÂm not the typical consumer. DH is a lung cancer survivor and we just finished ridding our home of a radon problem. Thus, although we love the look of natural stone and already have quite a bit of non-granite stone in our home (e.g., marble countertops in bathrooms), IÂm afraid to invest in granite countertops. If the granite we chose happened to raise our radon levels weÂd have to rip it out and all that money would go down the drain. We assumed weÂd just go for some engineered stone counters (e.g., Silestone or Ceasarstone) or one of the recycled glass products (e.g., ECO by Cosentino), but weÂve been shopping and keep finding ourselves drawn to the look and feel of natural stone.

So, hereÂs my question: I know that not all types of stone are associated with radon emission (e.g., marble is not a problem, but I donÂt want to mess with staining and etching issues in the kitchen). Does anybody here know whether quartzite stoneÂnot engineered quartzite countertop material, but actual quartziteÂcould emit radon like granite or would be a "safe" stone like marble?

It appears that geologists classify quartzite as a metamorphic rock, like marble, rather than as an igneous rock, like granite, but many dealers lump quartzite and granite into the same category (perhaps because they are both very hard stones that they consider appropriate for countertops?). Of course, this raises another issue: assuming that quartzite does not emit radon, how does one make sure that what a stone dealer calls a quartzite is really quartzite rather than granite or some other material?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Comments (23)