SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
barbcollins_gw

We don't know how good we have it....

barbcollins
11 years ago

DH & I like to go hiking on C&O Canal. Friday we went up to Cumberland and went to the Canal Headquarters. Nice museum. When I came across the display to show what the kitchen was like on a canal boat I was shocked. Can you imagine feeding your family plus the workers from a kitchen this size? They had their work cut out for them.

As bad as some of my kitchens were before renovation, I never had it this bad.

That said I would like the light fixture (if it was electric.. not kerosene)

Comments (6)

• phoggie
    11 years ago

We have indeed become a nation of very spoiled people...and so many times forget to be thankful for what we have and be content with it. Thanks for the reminder.

• thepaintedlady_gw
    11 years ago

In my first rental with my husband we had a 4x4 kitchen. There was only enough room for me in that room.

I still cooked for family and friends and we rarely ate out. As we've gotten older our spaces have gotten larger - and I have cooked less because of time constraints. We do pick up food from a local lady who cooks and her kitchen is as small as my first kitchen.

You cook with what you have. No one needs a second sink or a 6 burner stove.

• cam349
    11 years ago

My first kitchen was so small you had to leave the room to open the oven as the oven door took up all the floor space - lol.

• ginny20
    11 years ago

I completely agree. This is why I can no longer watch those people on House Hunters who won't consider anything but granite and SS. They're buying a house. They apparently have jobs and credit. The houses have kitchens with appliances and bathrooms with flush toilets. They should thank their lucky stars. There are people in this country in much worse shape, much less the rest of the developing world.

That is not to say that we shouldn't try to get value for our hard earned money or that we shouldn't try to have pretty, functional kitchens, but you're right, we need to keep it all in perspective.

• lalithar
    11 years ago

Barb,

I have that light fixture in electric from my 1940's kitchen which we are remodeling. I like it but not sure if we can use it.

• melaska
    11 years ago

So true...

When we moved back to Alaska in 1978, we lived in a friend's Winnebago. I was very pg - had to go outside in the middle of the night several times to quietly use their bathroom in their house. This is bear country so I was rather nervous =:0

Then, we 'upgraded' to an 8 x 54 mobile home. I thought it was huge! It had an eat in kitchen. I could sit at the table & reach into the fridge, stove AND sink from that position!

BTW - that is one cool lamp! :)