SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
secondhalf_gw

- mdf crack in box construction (not the paint)?

secondhalf
11 years ago

Hi everyone: I had done all the research on MDF vs plywood boxes but had decided to go with the MDF because the company has such a great reputation on GW, especially with a frameless cabinet and painted wood door. I went to the showroom for my final rundown with the KD (whom I think is great but whose livelihood is dependent on selling this line) and when she was asking me about the interior finish of a cabinet, I opened up one of the upper cab doors in the showroom and there was a clear crack in the MDF where it had been mounted. She brushed it off as something that would of course be replaced if it happened in someone's kitchen, but it concerned me so much that I felt sick to my stomach on the way home...I do not want to spend over $20k on something that's going to crack like that. So I have now recontacted a dealer who sells Grabill (out of Indiana- touted as Amish cabinets) and I can get plywood boxes and similar amenities, AND the price is in line with my budget. I feel really guilty about considering abandoning the KD who's been working with me, but I have this nagging feeing that I'm not getting what I ought to with the price I'm paying. But then I think that plywood isn't exactly mahogany and perhaps I'm just being old school. Many of you ended up with MDF boxes- how long have you had your cabinets and have you seen any cracks in the box itself? Thank you as always for the help and guidance. I would have thrown up my hands and sold the house if it weren't for the voices of reason here.

Comments (8)