SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melissa_houser

Insurance Companies and Kitchen Remodeling

Melissa Houser
15 years ago

I'm looking for information on dealing with an insurance company regarding a kitchen remodel. We placed the claim about 3 weeks ago due to a dishwasher leak which is causing the 1984 builder-installed cabinets to crumble.

Today, I received the estimate from the insurance company to replace the cabinets and it's, IMO, low. Under $6k to replace all of the cabinets in my galley kitchen! It's 10 feet 4 inches x 9 feet 9 inches and 8 feet across from wall to wall. According to the adjuster's measurements, I have 13 linear feet of countertop.

We've done several improvements to the kitchen since we bought the house, including installing a pull-out faucet, OTR microwave and replacing the flooring. We'd like to put in mid-range counters and cabinets, preferrably in solid wood. However, I can't see a way to replace the cabinets and countertops on this amount.

I have spoken to a public adjuster who told me to call him after I received the estimate and offer from the insurance company. My questions are this: 1. Is it possible to do a decent kitchen on this amount without literally doing all of the work ourselves? and 2. Has anyone used a public adjuster successfully in dealing with an insurance company?

Comments (7)