SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
paigeysmom

Cabinet Installation Update--Opinions Needed

paigeysmom
15 years ago

The installation of my cabinets is now about 75% done and its going better than I expected. Anyone who read my rant yesterday about my range hood--I now have to confess that I was a bit too quick to freak out. Apparently the mantel hood comes in 2 pieces and the shelf section had not been added yet when I got home yesterday. I'm a bit calmer now and I can post some progress pictures.

I have a couple of issues that I need help with though. When we arrived home today the installer had completed our peninsula--including the complicated mantel range hood. I was thrilled to finally see my vision come to life, but I stood there saying "something feels off here." I then realized that the lower cabinets are not centered under the uppers (I also noticed that the carved onlay is upside down on the mantel and that will need to be fixed tomorrow as well!). The center of the base cabinets is about 1.5 inches off from the center of the uppers. The installer was supposed to extend the upper cabinets a couple inches from the wall so that it would line up, but he hung the uppers first without the filler at the wall. My husband looked at it and agreed that its not quite right,but he doesn't want to bring it up to the installer--I think we have to.

I'm also not really feeling the wine rack on the end of the base cabinets on the half wall. I think the beadboard backing and the scrolled trim makes it look a bit too country to fit in with the other elements in the kitchen. My husband likes it and claims that I won't notice the "country-ness" once the granite goes in and we fill the cabinet with wine and accessories. I'm just not sure if it fits in. I would be willing to move it to our sunroom/casual dining area or the dining room to still make use of it, but I don't know if it should stay where it is now. My husband tried to tell me it was too late to change it, but I don't think its not too late until it has granite on top of it. I tried to figure out whether it was possible to remove the scrolled trim, but I'm afraid of destroying the cabinet completely.

I would appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks

Comments (12)