SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ahar_gw

opinions on this granite backsplash (pic included)

ahar
14 years ago

From Harper Kitchen Remodel

My granite is installed but what do you think about the backsplash behind the stove? I dont think it was the best choice. I guess I thought fabricators were kinda like artists but I think I may have assumed too much.

My cabinets are clearcoat rustic cherry, sun ray granite, and braz teak floors. What do you guys think? I take both criticism and complements well. Am I justified in thinking that the backsplash abit unattractive.

Comments (18)

• remodelfla
    14 years ago

This is just my personal opinion...
    Each element in and of itself is beautiful... love the granite. I would have gone with a light color backsplash. I think it would highlight your granite more and make it stand out (as it should). It would also highlight against the beautiful grain in your cabinets. It is by no means unattractive but could look even more beautiful.

• ccoombs1
    14 years ago

I think he should have at least consulted with you before he decided to put so much movement there. I love granite movement, but that movement is so bold that it becomes a focal point. It's fine to make it a focal point, but it that dark section should have been centered up. It's distracting where it is. It would be sort of like putting a mosaic medallion down in the corner instead of in the center. He should have let you see the templating so you would have had the opportunity to decide on this before he stuck it to your walls. But that being said....it does look like a lot of your granite has movement and he may have had no choice.

• Related Discussions

Backsplash and lighting help!! Pics attached, need opinions!!

Q

Comments (3)
    I am not going to be any help but I just wanted to say I love the light fixture over the dining table and love your granite. Can we get a close up picture of it though? On my monitor it looks a bit blue? Very pretty kitchen!
    ...See More

Backsplash color opinions (pics)

Q

Comments (4)
    I love it. I'm doing that same style hood but with black granite (If I can find it). I think the cream field tiles so that they'll be a perfect accent to the hood trim and the stove backsplash. It's going to be gorgeous!~
    ...See More

Opinions Needed! Where to end backsplash? Photo included

Q

Comments (52)
    I love the framed pictures at the end of the wall, but this is just my own petty little opinion, I think it would call less attention to the backsplash dilemma if the pictures were centered on the wall space between the door and cabinet shelves end. That way you would never even think about the backsplash and just look at the pictures and not wonder why they weren't centered on the wall, which in turn would lead to explaining the dilemma about the splash. I know that was a run-on sentence...sorry!!!
    ...See More

BackSplash Choices, long story, lots of pics!

Q

Comments (14)
    Oh my -- do you have to pick so theoretically? That is, can you get much of the other stuff up and running so that you can see the context a little better, set the tiles up against the counter with the floor in sight and choose *then*? ~one who's expert at delaying choices as long as possible. Speaking of which, it's pulls-time....
    ...See More
  • erikanh
    14 years ago

Your granite is beautiful, but my preference would be a different material for the backsplash. However, since you chose a full granite b/s, I'm assuming you prefer that look. Have you asked your fabricator if they have any remnants of your granite left that they could change out the section behind the stove?

• cotehele
    14 years ago

Looks to me that the counter and bs is matched at the seam beautifully behind the stove and in the corner to the right of the range. I'd be thrilled with it. If the piece behind the range is changed, you will loose the match.

• sadie709
    14 years ago

ahar
    I think your granite is beautiful. I love the organic nature of the stone. If you think that the movement is too busy behind the stove then maybe put up a stainless rack for misc bottles of olive oil or spices, to refocus attention from the movement. A beautiful piece of pottery on the countertop next to the stove would also help pull the eye away. You have taken the photo with bare counters and have focused only on the backsplash. I think if you posted a photo of the kitchen once decorated out, no one would even notice the movement being offset.
    Happy cooking.

• mdod
    14 years ago

I don't like that dark vein where it is but as cotehele said, the match elsewhere is great. Not knowing how they layed everything out on the slabs, it's possible that was the best alternative (short of buying an additional slab or adding seams). sadie709 had great advice to balance things out. It will look great when it's all decked out. Enjoy it.

• boxerpups
    14 years ago

Ahar,

Your kitchen is lovely. It seems a gentle unassuming place
    that warms the heart. Your wood cabinets and floor are
    restful. The stone's movement on the backsplash gives
    this same feeling. An earthy inviting and welcoming place
    to cook and entertain.

But I must ask because it seems you may have had different
    ideas based on your comments.

What did you want?

Sometimes our idea is not communicated to the contractor
    and we wind up disappointed. Is the backsplash more
    dramatic than you wanted? Do you dislike the section to
    the left that is darker with movement? Or maybe you were
    thinking of a totally different look all togehter?

What is it specifically that you don't like?

When you say you thought they were artists did you mean
    they should have chosen a different part of the stone
    to use as the BS? The beauty of your stone is that no
    one else will have that piece of Rock cut in that way
    in a kitchen. Your granite is one of a kind and amazing.

I think your kitchen is lovely. But, there are many on
    GW who would understand in a heartbeat if you wanted
    something different. There are many of us who second guess
    or change our minds or need the support of GW.

~boxerpups

• ahar
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you so much for all your input. It is hard to complain when the granite is so beautiful. I was suppose to lay out the templates for the granite but there was a miscommunication and I was not notified until after they began cutting. I was mad, but decided that it would all turn out okay. Now, I am not so sure and was wondering if other people would see that vein behind my backsplash as not placed very well which for me makes it a bit annoying. I truly appreciate all your comments. I am thinking about going back to tell my fabricators that they need to purchase my spare slab to fix it. Not sure how I am going to present this to the fabricators yet but our agreement was for me to be there for templating. Wish me luck. I really hate to complain as this rock that came from Mother Earth is completely gorgeous!!! The rock was $20. sq/ft and the fabrication was more than that!

• dannie
    14 years ago

I think it is beautiful. It would look odd the vein was centered in the backsplash. This way, it looks like Mother Earth placed it there. You have beautiful granite and I wouldn't change a thing.

• pharaoh
    14 years ago

I like the large expanses of that granite. I wouldnt change, add anything. The beauty of stone is in its infinite patterns. I would like to see the photos with the UC lights on.

• blondelle
    14 years ago

I think it needs something on it. I would install a stainless shelf that spans between the 2 cabinets with suspended bar on the bottom for hanging some smaller stainless pans, or stainless utensils. That will make the world of difference and be practical too! It's a bit bare as it is.

• airedale4mom
    14 years ago

I agree with Dannie, that stone is gorgeous and I love the natural movement of it. When I first saw the area over the stove, the dark area reminded me of a tree branch and I loved the fact that it was off to the side, totally unplanned, just a natural feature of that particular slab of granite. My DH and DS are in the room so I asked them their thoughts and they agreed, it's beautiful, natural and they wouldn't have liked it as much had it been centered/planned.

That being said, if it bugs you, change it. You'll be much happier in the long run having it look the way you want it to.

• donka
    14 years ago

I think it looks absolutely gorgeous. For me, the beauty of granite is that no two slabs are alike and that nature can create something so beautiful and unique. I agree with airedale4mom, if that dark portion was centered, I don't think I'd be as happy with it. To my eye, it's just fantastic the way it is. I wouldn't change a thing either. I think your fabricator was very artistic in it's placement, personally.

I love granite with movement, I love the uniqueness and I think it looks spectacular, but of course everyone's 'vision' is different, and if you don't love it, well it's your kitchen so you can do what you love.

• mamalynn
    14 years ago

I think it looks beautiful! Very dramatic!! I like that dark vein off to the side. If you think about composition for a photograph or a painted pictue, the area of interest is frequently not centered because it creates a more interesting scene. I do agree with Blondelle and Sadie 709 that it needs breaking up and that a stainless shelf would be a great idea.

And I also love the wood and color of your cabinets!

• Jean Farrell
    14 years ago

I think it looks very nice, and I like the strong dark piece.

I have never been a huge fan of granite backsplashes. I loved the slab of granite that I got for my island and butler's pantry coutertop that I didn't want to waste any of it, so we decided to use it for the butler's pantry backsplash as well.

When I first saw it installed, I hated it so much I wanted to take it down, and my husband felt the same. It was overwhelming to me because it had such strong movement and I thought it somehow looked tacky. I was also upset because we had gone to the yard when they templated, and picked the part that we wanted on the backsplash. There was a part of the slab that always made me think of prehistoric cave paintings, and I wanted that on the backsplash. It also was a much subtler part of the slab than the other. Even though I was there when they templated it, they somehow got the backsplash and countertop backwards,and the must stronger part of it ended up on the vertical part.

This was a very long way to say -- I now love the butler's pantry backsplash as much as anything else in my kitchen. I also get a lot of compliments on it. Sometimes with a very strong element, you just have to live with it for a while; the first impression is not necessarily the lasting one.

I think over time you will end up really admiring your backsplash. If you don't, you can always change it.

• ahar
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you so much. Each of your postings are right on. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I think sometimes that particular vein flows funny and is placed in not the best spot -the lower corner. But you are right in the fact that this is natural rock and the beauty in that justifies its placement. I so appreciate your kind and frank words. A stainless shelf thing may be just what I need. I think having the fabricator replace it is not needed. I know mistakes happen and I am so grateful to be able to have (barely) afforded this. It certainly makes for a unique kitchen. You guys are awesome! Thank you for all your posts! I do appreciate those who werent sure about it like me. It really helps getting your opinions.

• boxerpups
    14 years ago

airedale4mom,
    I love your description of the tree branch. After
    reading your words I had to rush back to look at the backsplash picture again

Ahar,
    It is beautiful and peaceful.
    ~bopxerpups

• nursetammi
    14 years ago

Ahar,
    I think so many are correct in these posts. My first impression was that you had not decorated your kitchen yet. Many things look busy until you decorate the space. Of course your eye goes right to the backsplash but that's because there is nothing else to look at. My first impression when I looked at your stove area was that it needed something there. I think sadie709 and blondelle's post were exactly what I was thinking of. Even a plaque of some sort. I am just not sure what you can and can not hang on granite. Its like a wall of wallpaper sometimes looks so busy until you hang a picture on it. It totally changes the overall appearance of the wall. I think the same would be on your backsplash. Good luck, you have to get it right for you or you'll be thinking of it every time you walk in to the room. Play around with it, go find a picture or shelf somewhere in your house that might look nice there and place it just to see if it makes a difference. Also put some things on your counter that you plan to put there anyway to see if that helps too. Good Luck we will all be thinking of you.