SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ontariomom

Please help with choosing colours and finishes for kitchen X-post

ontariomom
10 years ago

Hi everyone,

We have finally got to the stage of getting quotes for cabinets so we can move forward and actually order our kitchen that we have been designing for so long. For reference there is a picture of the layout, but the quest at this stage is to see if the finishes we are leaning toward will work and are pleasing. I could really use your help and reassurance if appropriate.

Here is where we are leaning. There is a photo at the end that shows the samples.

Island cabs: dark stained brown maple (like colour raisin at Home Depot). In the picture we have a cherry door, but it will be maple in a similar colour.

Perimeter cabs: Dover maple from Home Depot. This is a light warm grey/light greige. This colour corresponds quite closely with SW's Modern Gray (SW7632)

Counters (both island and perimeter) Bakay Cinza from Home Depot (see photo)

Walls (which there are hardly any of due to cabinets, windows, open concept etc) to be a med/dark blue. Leaning towards SW Needlepoint navy (SW 0032). In the picture there is a large paper paint chip showing the colour. Again there will not be much of this colour. Please note I am a blue freak so want blue somewhere.

Floor: medium brown with grey undertones hardwood (see sample in picture).

Island hood: This will be different and a bit risky. We will get a Modern-aire hood. We are planning to have it powder coated in the same blue as the wall and have a bit of stainless trim. If you imagine the hood in the houzz picture I have posted with the body of the hood painted in the wall blue (SW needlepoint navy) you will get the idea. I dislike the bulkiness of wood, and prefer a colour over plain stainless. I adore blue and know the hood will be a focal point so I might as well like that focal point.

Decorator plates (see photo of sample plate and layout for location of plate shelf).

handles, pendants not there yet at all. Wondered about oil rubbed bronze.

Adjoining rooms will be painted Dutch tile blue SW 0031 (greeny blue).

Appliances: Mostly stainless

Let me know what you think and what you like and dislike. Thanks so much! I have cross posted this on the kitchen forum as they deal with kitchen but you folks specialize in colours so I was unsure what forum would be best. Hope that is okay. Thanks!!!!

Carol

Layout:

Sample plate. If this does not go with the other wall/vent blue I also have some Hummel plates that are not blue. The blues one can go in the dining room instead.

Sample photo

Houzz inspiration for Modern-aire vent. Ours to be same blue as kitchen wall paint (SW needlepoint navy) and accented with a bit of stainless steel.

Craftsman Kitchen by Seattle Design-Build Firms RW Anderson Homes

This post was edited by OntarioMom on Sun, Nov 10, 13 at 13:34

Comments (3)