SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ineffablespace_gw

Practical things that are not popular.

ineffablespace
10 years ago

I am putting in a new bathroom, and they no longer make one of the matching cove tile pieces. My distributor tells me I am the first person to inquire after this particular piece of cove tile in about three years (don't know if he means regionally or nationally, he did contact headquarters about it.)

Cove tile is so practical. There is no sharp corner, both the wall joint and the floor joint can be grouted and there is rarely ever cracking.

I ruled out certain tiles because of the lack of trim pieces. He tells me that the most popular sellers come with virtually no trim pieces at all, leaving people to figure out how to finish edges.

So, here are some things that I have found are fairly practical, and either in the world-at-large or just on Gardenweb, are just not popular. Feel free to add your own or discuss.

Cove tile, as discussed. (and/or tile with adequate trim pieces)
----
Solid surfaces like Corian. It's slightly resilient, so dropped things are less likely to break, and it can literally be fused together to be absolutely seamless. Well, it's "plastic". So is Quartz, to some degree. So is most of the inside of your car, so is Bycast "leather". So is berber carpet.
----
Traverse rods. Open and close curtains without having to touch them. Have them look even all the time.
---
As an addendum to the above, curtains with weighted hems so they hang straight.
---
Vinyl or other resilient flooring. Used to be available in nice plain colors. Now most options are pretty hideous because it is marketed only to a very low demographic. Don't know what will happen to Amtico now that is owned by an American company. Many famous designers of past eras loved vinyl tile. It's really hard to find something nice and plain, so even if you would use it this may be a non-option.
---
Large frameless mirrors in bathrooms. Easy to wipe off because there is no inside edge.

Comments (145)