SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
susanka_gw

'Gallery' in our stairwell--what do you think of this look?PICS

susanka
16 years ago

Hi -- We're trying to make a "gallery" of our prints and paintings in the stairwell in our new house. I've put them together on the floor in this arrangement. Any ideas how to make them look better together? This is all we have to put here -- DH says he's not going to put anything there that has to be mounted on a block, like a vase. He won't budge on this point, and I'm not going to be able to do it myself, so these pieces are what we have to work with. This area also gets some sun, so we could only use prints or things that have protective glass. On the adjoining wall where the window is we're hanging an antique Chinese scroll 8 feet long, 32 inches wide, in soft browns and greens. (It will be at 90-degree angle to the others.) It will go from the close to the ceiling to the landing. No sun there.

The stairwell is going to be painted SW 6177, "Softened Green", a medium sagey green. The rest of the living room is Aspen white now, but will be a lighter shade of the green, SW 6175,can't remember the name. The arrangement is about 8 1/2 feet wide and if we start it just where the handrail starts on the top end it will leave about 1 1/2 feet to the wall where the scroll will be. The scroll will hang about 2 inches from the corner where the "gallery" ends.

I've included pix of our dining area, next to the stairwell, and of the living room, which we are making slightly more contemporary than it looks in this picture. The lamp is gone and the sofa will be replaced by a small sectional, a Jonathan Louis in "Shitake" fabric, mostly a darkish and lighter brown with a hint of blue-green in it when the light hits it right; no distinct pattern, not even sure the blue-green is there.

Thanks ahead of time for any advice you accomplished folks can give. We're definitely in the beginner category.

a href="http://photobucket.com"; target="_blank">

Comments (13)