SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
attygirl_gw

Ten Commandments of Kitchen Remodeling

attygirl
13 years ago

Well I am about two weeks away from beginning my tear down and I have to admit that I am getting to be pro at this thing. This will be my third major kitchen remodel in 20 years. So here are some words of wisdom from and old hand:

THE TEN COMMANDMENTS OF KITCHEN REMODELING

1. Thou shalt stop looking at alternatives once thou has made and purchased your selection.

No more second guessing. Why do we constantly keep looking for ideas, deals, etc. after we have made our choices? It is too late! You love what you picked, so sit back and take a deep breath. Take pleasure in what you picked out and forget about what better deals, ideas or decisions you "could" have made.

1. Thou shalt not let this kitchen remodel come first before family and friends.

This is just a kitchen. In ten years you will be doing this all over again. Your 14 year old daughter, however, will only be 14 this one time. She needs you now - not when you finally move away from that computer screen and stop blogging about your latest remodeling crisis.

1. Thou shalt treat all people involved in this remodel with respect and dignity.

Yes it is an emotional time. This does not, however, give you an excuse to be a jerk towards others. Remember the Golden Rule!

1. Thou shalt NEVER, NEVER, NEVER begin a kitchen remodel expecting to have the work completed prior to a big celebration or event.

The surest way to a mental breakdown is to plan a big event to take place at your house and then begin a major renovation prior to the event, with the expectation that your kitchen will be done for the big day, ready to bedazzle all who enter. During my first kitchen remodel experience I began the work 8 weeks prior to a huge family celebration for my sons second birthday. I will never forget my hysteria as my husband was frantically screwing in the cabinet hardware as guests were walking through the door.

1. Thou shalt not bore family and friends with every little detail and nuance of your remodel.

You are the only one who cares. Everyone else is bored to tears by your endless recitations. Give it a rest.

6. Thou shalt make every effort not to monopolize the decision making process.

Yes, I know you are the one who cooks. Yes, you will be the primary person using this kitchen. Remember, however, that your significant other wants to be consulted, needs to express their opinion and has a right to give input. (Besides, there are ways to have complete control of the decision making without anyone being the wiser.)

1. Thou shalt refrain from being a "know it all" once this process is complete.

You probably have spent endless hours researching every decision and every aspect of your remodel. Feel free to share your knowledge IF it is solicited. Otherwise, control your impulse and let the poor fools make their own mistakes. After all, you donÂt want to spoil the fun for the next clueless soul who is getting ready to embark on this "wonderful" experience.

8. Thou shalt make a budget before thou beginneth and thou shall stick to that budget come hell or high water.

There will always be a nicer stove, a more solid floor, a fancier countertop, or a more impressive backsplash. Remember that nothing is lovelier, however, than a remodeled kitchen that was completed without forcing the owners into bankruptcy. There will always be unexpected expenses once you begin. You will be much more able to handle those surprises if you havenÂt exceeded your budget early on.

9. Thou shalt stop obsessing about the little details.

You are the only one noticing the seam in the granite or the tiny gouge in your cabinet. Stop it! Life is too short to obsess about the immaterial details. Look at the big picture. You have a lovely kitchen. Enjoy the moment and your good fortune in being able to own such a wonderful space.

10. Thou shalt count thou blessings that thou has the ability and means to embark on such a remodel.

LetÂs put things into perspective. Times are tough. With unemployment at record highs and with so many people struggling, we have been given this wonderful gift of being financially able to begin a major remodeling project. Let us never forget how fortunate and blessed we are to be doing what we are doing.

OK, and with that last thought I am getting ready to see if I can practice what I preach. Happy remodeling everyone!

Comments (31)