SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
duba0416

Back Splash, begging for help!

duba0416
10 years ago

Hi, I had posted earlier but my post hasn't appeared here.

I need help-

I'll make a REALLY long story short-

Three years ago we remodeled our old home......it was beautiful, just the way we wanted it. See picture (just a small pic of the bathroom, these were the colors and materials used through out the rest of the house)

During the past year we found out a family member needed help, (without going into details) and we decided to move closer to our family. It was a hard decision to leave since we had just gotten our house how we wanted it after 14 years.

We found a house, sold the old one and moved into the new one.

The rest of the house just needed minor updates, paint etc. The kitchen was a HOT MESS. The wall color gives me anxiety, and the black/gray laminate countertop didn't help. We are in the process of replacing all the appliances as well.

Here is a picture once the old counter top was removed (this is before we installed the light rail and panels on the cabinets).

I prefer white cabinets, this house has cherry, I felt confident we could make the cabinets look a whole lot better than they did look by adding a light rail and end panels. See picture below:

Then it came time to address the gray laminate countertop and backsplash..........Off those came and we replaced them with a granite called Surf Green. I had originally wanted an off white granite, but everything I liked was either marble or quartz, and I couldn't get my husband on board with either material. So we kept looking and found the Surf Green granite.

I was in love with it until I saw it installed......then I had buyers remorse! It just didn't look how I had envisioned it, even though we had taken the cabinet door with us, I still was slightly disappointed with it. Our remodel has a budget, so replacing the granite is out of the question. I decided to calm down and then thought "Okay, I can make this work, I can pick an awesome backsplash and make that the "star of the show" in the kitchen".

Here are a few pictures of the countertops up close:

So off we went to just about every tile place around......Here are some of the pictures of tile that we thought might look okay.

(We currently have a crate of this travertine stacked stone sitting in our garage that's giving me anxiety.......it just doesn't feel right, like it'll be installed and I'll be kicking myself forever) I actually have a courier service coming to pick it up to return it tomorrow.

I thought bead board was the answer....... Not so much now, what do you think?

An up close of the stacked stone

How it would look behind the faucet

Propped in the corner

I need your help! I like subway tiles, but I am not sure that would look good. We did have some and returned them. I sort of felt like I would be looking at a brick wall in the kitchen. We had square tiles, and turned them every direction, diamond shaped etc. trying to see what that might look like. I brought glass tiles home and did not like those at all.

I did use a designer at one of the tile places, but she just kept pushing the glass tiles! Is there anyone that can help????

My husband is patient, but he's at his wits end with me. The wall color will eventually be either Rice Grain from Sherwin Williams or Windham Cream from Benjamin Moore.

At some point we will have pendant lighting over the island and will replace the pantry door with a 6 panel glass door with frosted glass. We have a fireplace that has a stone surround and plantation shades on the windows in our family room.

I want the house to feel light and airy like our other home did, and it's just feeling impossible right now because of the darker cabinets and the granite. Neither of which I can change now.

Any help you could offer would be greatly appreciated. I am normally pretty planned out, but I think in my haste to "get this done" and not have it turn into a 14 year project like our last house I just didn't put much thought into the back splash and now I'm paying for it!

Any help you can offer I would appreciate so much!

Comments (36)

• akl_vdb
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

The granite is beautiful. I think the second tile pic looks the best, but not sure it's the one. I don't like the travertine or the first pic. Good luck, it's such a hard decision! I'm sure you'll get lots of advice!

• palimpsest
    10 years ago

I think any of the cleft or stacked products detract from the granite. I would probably try to find a glazed tile that picked up on one of the colors in the granite.

• Related Discussions

Bianco antico, I need back splash help please!

Q

Comments (4)
    I disagree about the gray tile. A light gray glass subway tile might work nicely. You already have white cabinets everywhere so it won't "dull it down". Get samples to make sure they work with the slab you've chosen: The more elongated version would make it a bit more contemporary; and the traditional 3 x 6 more traditional.
    ...See More

Need help on what back splash to choose.

Q

Comments (4)
    Cabinets are Thomasville brand, color is Dover Countertops are Ultra Compact. There is graphite crown molding going above the trim to the ceiling.
    ...See More

Can you please help me identify the back splash in this photo?

Q

Comments (1)
    What I know is that it is part of the Pacific Palisades project by Carla Lane Interiors. https://www.carlalaneinteriors.com/collection, but I can not figure out which tile she used.
    ...See More

Need help!!! What Kind/Color of Back splash!!!

Q

Comments (34)
    Your current laminate countertops are what is known as post form with an integral 4" backsplash. The backsplash is integrated and cannot be removed. So, Beth gave you best options if you're keeping your existing countertop - remove the tile that's there, patch/drywall and paint or beadboard wall paper and cement resurface our countertop. But, if you're handy, for probably under $300 or so, you can replace what you have with pre-built laminate countertops from Home Depot with or without an integral backsplash. Your existing countertop has a 45 degree seam in the corner. You can buy these prefab counters pre-mitered for the corner. It's really a simple, straighforward project - cut out for sink and cooktop. That's exactly what your existing countertops are.
    ...See More
  • joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

I like the second one the best. I like the last two color wise but worry about being able to keep these rough surfaces clean, especially behind the sink and stove.

• jentrex
    10 years ago

I would paint the walls first and give yourself a little break from thinking about the backsplash. In fact, force yourself not to think about the backsplash. It sounds like you have a lot going on in your life right now. I like all your tile choices. I also think your granite is really very beautiful.

• ellendi
    10 years ago

I agree with Pal. Try to find a simple glazed tile that matches with the granite. I would go with the lightest color possible.

In the mean time, take jentrex's suggestion and take a step back. The BS is often the hardest part of the kitchen. Especially if you did not choose the tile and the granite together.

What happened to you is what has happened to many of us here. You find the granite and after it is installed, you are confused as to how to proceed. In your case, you are disappointed with your granite choice as well.

By finding the right backsplash, you will become happier with your granite. Maybe it was not what you envisioned, but I think you can believe all of us here that is is a nice choice.

• jellytoast
    10 years ago

IMHO, your granite has too much going on to make the back splash the star of the show. I do think your granite is lovely. If it were me, I would go with a clean and simple glazed tile as some of the others have suggested. Maybe you could go with the larger format subway tiles if you are worried about a "brick wall" look (personally, I love subway tiles, and while they are laid in a brick pattern, glazed tiles won't look like a brick wall ... but stone tiles might!). You don't want your counter tops and back splash fighting each other for attention. You could toss a few stone or glass dots in here and there for a bit of contrast.

• motherof3sons
    10 years ago

Ditto on taking a step back. Live with kitchen with painted walls until you find what you really want. Best of luck.

• sixtyohno
    10 years ago

The granite is beautiful. I agree that a simple glazed tile would be best. The beautiful granite is the only star.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

I LOVE your granite. It will always be the star of the kitchen because of how stunningly beautiful it is.

I agree that you should just give yourself a break and just have your kitchen painted for now.

When you do decide to move forward with the back splash you could consider doing a quilted look stainless steel that would be easy to clean. That may not be at all the look you are going for though. Do you prefer a traditional or contemporary look?

Honestly I think your kitchen is lovely but you are yearning for your old kitchen. The cabinets in your new home are beautiful, the granite is stunning, both of your paint choices are lovely.

Do you have any other projects in your new home? If you do have the kitchen painted, move onto another project and come back to the kitchen project after you have time away from it.

My very best wishes to you both.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    10 years ago

I agree with the other posters. Get rid of all your present backsplash selections and give yourself some time to find the right item. Live with the lovely granite for a time. The right decision will eventually appear.

It maybe be simple glazed tile or a glass tiles that pick up the various colors in the granite, but the current selections are definitely not right for everything else that is going on in the room. The beadboard is too casual for the quality of your cabinets & tops. The stacked stone is just not the right product for this traditional kitchen. Give yourself and your husband a break. Best of luck.

• Jbrig
    10 years ago

I think your new kitchen is going to be lovely.

The current paint color will affect your perception of color interactions between cabs and tile anyway, so I would encourage you to get your painting done first. Then you can get a more accurate feel for any proposed backsplash materials.

Looking forward to seeing more progress pics!

• enduring
    10 years ago

Paint first like many others have mentioned. Didn't you say you have issues with the red? GET RID OF IT, and I bet you'll sleep at night.

• annac54
    10 years ago

I agree with some of the others, take a step back and paint the kitchen (or even just primer it to get rid of the red). The red color that's in there now is skewing your perception of the space, and nothing you put in there to look at will look right to you.

That granite is really lovely. I hope that you will feel better about it after the kitchen is painted. It does have a lot of personality, which makes choosing the backsplash more difficult. I think the rough stacked stone is not the right match for the traditional style of cabinets you have. I can see it more with a modern or rustic style. As others have said, a glazed tile would probably work best. You might check out some of the crackle finish tiles, or maybe some that have slight variations in the color that make them look handmade.

Check out the numerous other threads here about backsplashes. You might find something you like, and you'll see that you're not alone. Many of us took a long time finding a backsplash.

• kksmama
    10 years ago

Painting over the red will make you feel so much better. Do it yourself if at all possible, it will turn your adrenaline in a constructive direction.

• chrissyb2411
    10 years ago

Agree with paint and see how you feel then. That red is so bright, possibly it is reflecting off of things and causing the colors to look not as expected? I also think your granite looks too busy for a busy backsplash.

• DiggingInTheDirt
    10 years ago

Yes, get rid of the red first. I like the beadboard and the subway tiles the best, but that might be because the red dictates that you use something very calm. I think the stacked stone would be a nightmare to take care of, so that would be a no.

Paint your walls a warm white or very light cream color, and I bet you will suddenly fall in love with your granite all over again. Right now it's fighting with the wall color for attention. Then bring home lots and lots of samples of light colored glazed tiles, and see which one works best.

• karen_ohio
    10 years ago

Actually, you might try a matte subway style. Your counters are polished, so I think a subdued backsplash could be the answer. Maybe pick up on one of the colors in the granite.

Karen

• karen_ohio
    10 years ago

Actually, you might try a matte subway style. Your counters are polished, so I think a subdued backsplash could be the answer. Maybe pick up on one of the colors in the granite.

Karen

• heatheron40
    10 years ago

Paint changes the mood of a room the most- colors reflect- things change in a crazy ways- often in ways you would never expect. Red and green tones will make a room seem gray.
    Paint the ceiling a very bright white- that will brighten everything! Even if you think it looks white a new coat will do a lot. Paint the walls one of the beautiful colors you picked including the backsplash. Install the new lighting, including the pendants.

Relax, in a month, after you have lived with the new coloring go back to the tile place and select some crackle glazed tile- look at color first and shape second- consider a pencil line of Mother of pearl or something to add a little bling and tie in at the same time. Take the sample, scan it to replicate and tape the copies up. Live with for a week or more. By then you will be more comfortable with your decision or you will go back and try again.

Good Luck!
    Heather

• enduring
    10 years ago

I want to offer my opinion on the strategy of making multiple paper copies of a tile using a scanned image. I don't think photo copying tiles to see how the color will look will be of much help. Because copy machines will not create the color perfectly, depending on the machine, just like monitors. I think it could be an excellent tool if you are trying to see if the shapes will work. I would only use mass production copying if I wanted to see shapes, line, contrast, and tile pattern layouts. But not color choice.

• jess1979
    10 years ago

Your granite is beautiful. I have been looking at the crackle tiles with a dark grout.With the darker grout it seems to give warth to the room. The crackle can pick of the color that you like in the granite.

• Bunny
    10 years ago

I'm gonna sound like a broken record. :)

First of all, your granite is lovely. The red walls have to go. I love red, but could never live with red walls. Once they're a nice calm, lighter color, you will sigh with relief.

I don't care for any of the tiles you've shown, esp. not with your granite, which isn't going anywhere. Whether you like it or not, the granite is going to be the star of the kitchen. I would like a simple ceramic b/s tile in the shape of your choice, picking up one of the lighter shades of your granite.

• RoRo67
    10 years ago

Before you go any farther, paint that awful red. Your eye is drawn to it rather than the beautiful granite. Once you have painted it, then live with it for a week or so. See it in all different kinds of lights. This change of lighting will affect the granite, the paint, and the backsplash. Use the three you have already, look at them in different lights as well. Then choose. In the long run, you will thank yourself for getting rid of the hideous red (especially up against that green granite and the dark cabinets) and for allowing yourself time to choose your backsplash.

• justicex
    10 years ago

I have surf green granite in my kitchen, although I have cream colored cabinets. We struggled with a back splash also, it was a very tough decision and caused a lot of angst! I agree with what everyone else is saying about painting the walls to get rid of that red. You will never be able to accurately assess the color scheme with that distraction. I would never select the rough stone due to the cleaning issues. We were looking at using beadboard as well but decided against it because our cabinets are so light but it may work in your favor. What we finally decided on was a mix of glass and limestone. We installed it vertically and we are very happy with how it turned out. The colors work perfectly with the granite.

• justicex
    10 years ago

More pics:

• justicex
    10 years ago

Not sure how to post multiple pictures to the message!

• justicex
    10 years ago

One more...

• LE
    10 years ago

I'll join the chorus voting for simple ceramic in a light color. Maybe subways, maybe not. With grout close to the tile color, you don't get so much of the "brick wall" feeling. What about either large tiles or oversized subway shapes? But simple and light-colored is going to be the key, at least to my eye.

• lzhwong
    10 years ago

I think your granite is beautiful and you should choose a backsplash that compliments rather than compete with it. I'm not a fan of any of your choices. How about mother of pearl?

http://www.motherofpearltiles.com/designer-tile-mother-of-pearl-mosaics

I think a crackled subway tile will also look nice. Not a fan of the glass mosaic tile mixed with other stone. It's too busy and competes with your beautiful granite.

Good luck!

• cawaps
    10 years ago

I had written a bunch and then lost it. To recap:

(1) I agree with many others: Paint first. I'll give you dollars to doughnuts that the red paint is why you aren't liking your granite. I think a cream or pale gray-green would work really well.

(2) If you paint and STILL don't like your granite, try changing the lighting. Do you think your kitchen looks better in daylight that at night under artificial lights? Incandescent lamps have a color temperature (measured in kelvin) around 2700 K. Daylight is more like 6500 K. Cooler lamps get a bit of a bad rap, but I think that is because a lot of older tube fluorescent had cool temperatures AND bad color rendering. So if you do change your lamps, look for something that has a high color rendering index (scale goes to 100, look for something above 80, higher is better).

Hopefully by that point you will like your granite. If not, you will have done pretty much all you easily can to change that. THEN you can think about your backsplash.

• Maura Kortlang
    10 years ago

Hi Duba,

I don't know when I've seen such consistent feedback on this forum. You're getting some very wise advice and I hope you are listening. I will echo some of the main points, which are spot-on.

First get rid of the red paint. Now I love red, but those walls are fighting with your gorgeous granite. Yes, gorgeous. Once the red is gone, take some time to get comfortable with the granite before you zero in on the backsplash.

I love the look of stacked stone and was tempted to use it for my backsplash. But I knew it would be a cleaning nightmare, especially around the sink and cooktop. Cooking oil and tomato sauce splatters in all those nooks and crannies would not be good. And in your case, it brings a lot of texture that competes with the granite.

I think a cream colored porcelain or ceramic tile would be great for your backsplash. Maybe you can find one that echoes your new paint color. If you go with subways, keeping the grout color consistent with the tile color will help avoid the "brick wall" look you don't like. Accent tiles, either scattered or in a border, could pick up a little pale green or grey or beige from the granite. If you decide to pursue glass tile remember that it tends to bring a modern sensibility, where your kitchen has a very traditional style. So tread lightly.

You have the makings of a really lovely kitchen there. Step back and take a few deep breaths and you'll see it. :-) Ruby

• Maura Kortlang
    10 years ago

Oh, forgot to mention that the beadboard backsplash is probably too country or cottage for your traditional style cabinets. IMHO. Good luck!

• duba0416
    Original Author
    10 years ago

WOW! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU for all of the replies! I printed off the thread and I am going to read through them this weekend!

I returned all of the stacked stone tile yesterday, and while I was there I tried again to find another tile. I found a few and I am going to test them out in the kitchen this weekend.

I sincerely appreciate all of your opinions and all of you taking the time to help me out.

I'll post a few more pictures of the new samples and will look forward to your opinions again! :) Thanks SO much!

• caitlinmagner
    10 years ago

that granite is horrible - HORRIBLE - with the red walls. It makes my ears ring just looking at it.

Picturing soft cream walls, this becomes a different granite. I see it as warm, soothing, with slow movement, like watching a wave recess from the beach.

Like everyone else said, get rid of the red walls and you should fall back in love with the granite. I truly believe it will look like a completely different slab.

• Gooster
    10 years ago

I think the feedback has been pretty consistent, but it does seem like you want to finish off this task. It also seems that you like texture and want to avoid a traditional subway shape. I'll echo all the advice above (paint first!) and then I would then suggest shapes or dimensional tiles from Sonoma Tile. They have wonderful shapes like diamonds or trapezoids or some really nice relief and dimensional tiles. They can be ordered in a wide range of glazes that will complement your granite wonderfully. If you keep the tile and the grout monochromatic, the added pattern should blend okay.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sonoma Artisan, Tribeca and Stellar

• Caya26
    10 years ago

I agree with everyone - that red paint has to go. I would do a pale cream or even a light creamy green to pick up on the green in that beautiful granite. Like many have said, I think your granite will be the star of the show.
    I have to tell you, when we recently did a mini-reno of our kitchen (new desert green granite countertops, SS appliances, SS Blanco sink and Hansgrohe faucet, textured pale green glass BS tiles), I did not want a glass backsplash at first. My cabinets are a mid honey colour maple shaker style, I would say transitional. I thought the glass would be too modern, but actually it looks great, and is so easy to clean.
    It updates the look of the kitchen. We did a pale linen colour grout for contrast, which tied in with my linen/taupe/ivory stone looking Pergo vinyl tile floating floor.

IMHO, I would pick a simple tile, and not go with anything too patterned. There are subway tiles with textures, crackles, glazes that would be beautiful and elegant.

Good luck!

This post was edited by Caya26 on Sat, Aug 3, 13 at 8:45