SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
twosit_gw

Help...Pantry closet!

twosit
13 years ago

I have read and read and read here. Including the past several days of the various pantry threads. I am still confused.

We are going to add a pantry closet in our remodeled kitchen. The interior dimensions are going to be aproximately 48"X30". I guess it would be called a reach-in pantry. Currently we have a pantry cabinet that is 36"X24" deep. It is chaos--with stuff being buried in the back that never sees the light of day again. I want to avoid this in the new pantry.

My KD asked me to see if I could make it smaller--I think 48" is about as small as I should go. I am having problems--as usual, with planning the space. Is there wasted space in this dimension? I had thought about having L shaped shelves--with one wall 18" and the other 12" deep--with some room for hooks or cans on the other side. My husband thinks 18" deep on both sides would be better. He says the only thing I gain by going shallower is air.

Wrapping up my bottom line question here--do I lose something other than space by making one wall shallower? Any advice on the size?

Comments (14)