SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
barbaraz_gw

Did Your White Cabinets Turn Yellow?

barbaraz
15 years ago

I am trying to decide between new maple cabinets with either a wood stain (light to medium darkness) or doing them in white. My question for those of you who have had white cabinets for awhile... Have you noticed much yellowing or discoloration of your white cabinets over the years? Are you happy with how well they held up? Would you put white cabinets in again? Are your white cabinets wood or thermofoil?

I am remodeling my second home--a small condo on Maui. It's a real challenge trying to make all the decisions long distance but because things must be ordered ahead of time, this is just the way its going to be. I will oversee the actual remodel in Sept but for now, I must make my decisions so that I can get the order in. So imagine all the stress of trying to choose everything you need to for a remodel long distance! That's one reason I'm looking for HELP!!!

The white is clean looking, classic, very tropical, can make the space seem larger, but is more difficult to keep clean. The condo is across the street from the beach so there is a constant amount of dust in the air that tends to leave a film on everything. I do let others use my condo when I'm not there and not everyone cleans or wipes down the way I do. So I am concerned with how well the white will look a few years down the road. I should also mention that I have children that come over with us to use the condo during school vacations.

There is also something very attractive about the wood with a contrasting countertop that I really love, too. That dramatic look can be a real "wow" factor. I think the wood look is very warm and inviting and can look like you spent more money than you did. It makes for a very rich look, if you know what I mean.

I've been seeing so many beautiful kitchens on this site--I love both choices. I would appreciate any insights you may have!

Thanks for your help!

Comments (26)

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals