SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_16331601

#2 sitting room mostly done...

User
11 years ago

This room has been the DR and the sitting room at different times. It is the original DR for the house as there is a built in china cab with the original bead board. I have my Mom's and Grandmother's china in it and it will stay there.

One thing you will note about these two rooms is the height of the central light fixture. Due to changing the use of the rooms we haven't found a way that we can raise and lower the fixtures so they have to stay high enough to not kill DH LOL ! So if anyone has a great idea on that score I would love to know. The DR fixture needs to be a lot lower when it is the DR.

Now to this room . I have never used this rug anywhere except under the DR table. So this is all new color exploration. It has been used in both rooms..the chocolate and the navy just not with these furnishings.

The other big big change is bringing the Pembroke tables and leather wing back chairs in to this room. I have always thought of them as formal and had them in the music room. It was DH 's idea, and a good one I think, to use them in here. With the more formal animal Tabriz rug and the colors in that rug it works well..at least I think so. The leather sofa brings out the butterscotch/rust in the rug and the chairs bring out the small accent in the rug that has a maroon tone. Again this rug has a dark and light side. I have it light toward the main entrance of the room.

I have made the tables and the gate leg table more casual by tossing small Oriental rugs on them...this is done in the Netherlands and Belgium in the pubs...we lived there in the 80's and I always loved the look and feel.

DH and I pull the gate leg table over and place it between the chairs and have our dinner in here on cold nights. With the fireplace and the portieres in the doorways..the rich colors ,leather and the rugs it is very very cozy .

One last thing I moved the Moroccan tile table back in front of the windows. It came from a market in NYC a long long time ago and I got it from a friend. I have some cobalt dishes that were my Mom and Dad's and grandmother's on it as well as some French plates that DS1 and DIL brought me when they were there on a trip. I love the way the light plays on them and the shadows.

So..after all the long-winded details...pics. It is very very hard to photograph this room..the light is so bright from the windows and the flash messes up the colors...ah well.

sofa:

rug:

another view:

wingbacks with pembroke tables and an antique stool that was Mom's..brings in the blues...

another view:

{{gwi:1864887}}

{{gwi:1864888}}

tile table and cobalt glass :

{{gwi:1864889}}

Comments (28)