SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cathrugg

Christmas Tree Decorating Strategy Help!

cathrugg
12 years ago

Do you have any secrets to decorating a beautiful Christmas tree?

Every year I stress out (I'm kinda OCD...) about the placement and order of my ornaments (I do 4 trees, I'm already having palpitations...).

I usually do lights (if not pre-lit)/garland/ornaments, careful to not let too many of the same colors get to close (ok, maybe very OCD...). Each tree is color or ornament themed. I have one tree that is all Santas and Snowmen with red and gold ornaments. Another one is purple and lime ornaments. Another one is multicolored with all the sentimental mish-mosh of ornaments since I've been with my husband. The last is a new theme this year, colors TBD.

My trees usually look pretty and I get compliments but they never dazzle me like when I go into someone else's house and see theirs. I constantly tweak and arrange them to be "just right" but they never are. (Don't even get me started about pulling fully decorated trees around the room for just the right room placement lol.)

Should I "let loose" and just put the ornaments on willy-nilly and see how I like it? Do I load up my trees with lots of generic red/gold/silver/green balls just to take up space?

I know this probably sounds like a silly question but it's been on my mind the last few weeks.

Thanks to Oakley, I'm now addicted to Pinterest and have been gathering pics of Christmas trees but can't seem to figure out how to achieve the look I'm going for.

Comments (8)