SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
parma42

New Kitchen Drapes, too

parma42
15 years ago

When it dawned on me that I had already been in the new house for almost a year and hadn't gotten much accomlished, we started to finish some projects.

I was really missing our old house and its beautiful views out back. Looking at a cr*ppy view here was getting me down. I decided to just buy some window coverings. With all the other money we had to spend on the rest of the place, I decided against the custom romans from Smith and Noble and just went with a black and cream check from Ballards.

Now I have to address the window over the sink. It's 14" deep. I've seen awning style long valances that I love but I'm not a seamstress. HGTV's website has some instructions but I'm wondering, as long as the sides wouldn't show, if I can just figure out an easy way to put one together with two different depth rods?

Comments (20)

• neesie
    15 years ago

What a co-incidence; I finally covered my over-the-sink window after being in our house many, many more years than you! We recently changed a few things in the kitchen (color being one of them!) and I found some cloth napkins that I was in love with. I got a tension rod to fit between the cupboards on each side of the sink and laid three napkins diagonally. I was trying to figure out if it was a keeper and my hubby said he loved it, so it stays. Just needs a good ironing before I can take a picture, tho. It does have a wooden valance to hide the rod, too.

I really like your checkered draperies on the larger bayed walk-out. Your view doesn't look cr*ppy to me. Even if it's not a nice as what you used to have I don't see anything nasty or junky out there! JMHO!

• parma42
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks nessie.

I know I'm sounding like a spoiled brat. Our last house backed up to a forest preserve. We spent seven years on the gardens and had deer drinking out of our bird baths. All sorts of birds came to my feeders and trees.

We had to move closer to Chicago when DH got promoted. We have a much smaller lot that looks directly into our neighbor's kitchen. It's a cookie-cutter new constuction that's already lost much of its value because of the real estate market.

I just begrudge every cent I put into this place, sometimes.

• Related Discussions

are these drapes too busy?

Q

Comments (52)
    Is your MIL the type to always comment or say something, such as "you look tired" , "you look healthy , you were too skinny before" ( I interpret that as "you look like you gained weight") etc... ? ( btw, I was never skinny in my life, she was backpeddling) Mine is very verbal, although she is a sweet person, she often says too much with no reflexion on her part as to how it will affect the receiver of such comments. I try to learn from that, since I'm a MIL myself, lol...... Say less, not more. The drapes are hanging in your LR for Pete's sake, does she think you'll rip them down based upon her opinion ?
    ...See More

Existing oak wood floors are too low to match with new wood in kitchen

Q

Comments (5)
    You can put in a new floor in the kitchen and have it matched to the old one. It won’t have a patina but if done correctly blends very well! You can barely tell the difference between my 70 year old and 6 month old floors.
    ...See More

New build with kitchen cabinet too large for door cove crown molding

Q

Comments (41)
    I am so grateful for this feedback I have received today. And thank you again PPF and Bryan911 for all the helpful details. I am going to see about a new upper cabinet. We’ve put too much into this project to let two upper cabinets good us up :) I had a lot of people including a designer I hired for a short time out eyes on this, and we still missed it. Just goes to show you how difficult it can be to build a house and get all the details to work out as hoped. PPF — the reason we broke up the expanse of the pantry door with shaker panels was since we wanted it to look integrates with the cabinetry and to break up the tall doors since we have 10’ ceilings. I do agree also about hinges that can be hidden. It also annoys me that they are such a bright gold when my lights and cabinet hardware will be more of an aged, satin brass. Is it easy to switch out hinges and not mess up the doors?
    ...See More

New construction - kitchen Island too deep?

Q

Comments (27)
    Has someone drawn this up for in 3D? Or was there a model home with the 2 islands? I would make the central one a bit narrower just so it would be easier to move to the ref from the sink. I know you have the prep sink but there should be work space on both sides - unload from ref onto counter- rinse and move to clean side of counter. If 2 people are working on that side you would need about 5 ft between the stove and the range and about 4 ft between the 2 islands... One long island may be better... Just some things to think about...
    ...See More
  • stinky-gardener
    15 years ago

Have wondered what you decided regarding your kitchen windows. The checks from B's are very nice Parma, & now you have some privacy as you sip your morning brew! I'm glad to hear you seem pleased.

I know 0 about sewing, but others here will be able to help you with that. If my3dogs sees your post & chimes in that would be marvelous, since she really creates magic w/a needle, thread, & some fabric!

I agree w/neesie about your view...not bad!

You've referred on several occasions to the costs involved in purchasing & upgrading your house. You may find some solace in learning that I paid almost as much for my house as you did for yours (about $19,000 less) but my house is 21 years old! It will at any minute need new heating/cooling, & eventually new windows. We have a fairly small & humble kitchen with dated, mismatched appliances, laminate countertops, & painted cabinets (no granite or cherry anything!) In 2.5 yrs., I've spent a substantial sum on painting, light fixtures, rotten wood repairs, etc. all in addition to buying furniture, rugs, having drapes made, etc. Have a list a page long of other things that need upgrading.

Don't mean to hijack your thread or change the subject, but FYI, while we're chatting, I feel you got a GREAT deal on your house! When you're feeling glum about it, just remember my scenario!

• debo_2006
    15 years ago

parma:

What color is the wall paint in your kitchen (manufacturer too)? Thanks.

What about a roller blind for the sink window?

• parma42
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Debi, the color is SW Blonde.

Hey Stinky! Yeah, I know that I'm spending way too much time complaining. Problem is, with a big hit to the 401K because of the economy and with one of the same models as our house going into forclosure and selling for $150,000 less than we just paid for ours last year, it's hard to stay optimistic.

And yikes, it seems like older homes have their fair share of problems, too. That's what I call "boring money". Money that has to be spent on things that just aren't pretty, heating/cooling, etc.

• igloochic
    15 years ago

parma I love those drapes. They're very elegant..black and white is always a wonderful combo.

For your sink window, how about a roller shade inside the frame, which you can easily get at a big box store (if it's a standard size) or have a relatively inexpensive one cut.

Then for he valance, I personally like them to be fairly simple. You don't need a sewing machine if you really want to make it easy. Just get a piece of fabric and double sided iron on adhesive. Cut one piece of your main fabric at double the window width. Then cut another piece of plain white fabric or muslin two inches shorter on all sides than your main piece, you also want the adhesive to be this size.

Iron together, then iron the extra fabric into a hem (roll over about half an inch and iron flat, then fold to the size of the inner lining and use an iron on tape to create the seam/hem on the back side.

If you want a bit of elegance, add some simple black fringe or trim which can be done with a light application of hot glue.

You also need some braided cord (thin) to hot glue to the top where it will attach to the wall.

Now hang three or five (depending on the spacing of the window...you want them fairly far apart...maybe a foot each) finials, mounted into the wall pointing outside, using proper bracing when not in a joist (they probably won't be). You can add a screw back (double sided) if they don't have one so this can be accomplished. Your loops need to be made big enough to slip over the finials.

Hot glue your loops and hang. Of course it's NOT washable, but it will look quite nice. The extra legnth gives you just a bit of drape on each side, but not a lot so it isn't crowding the area.

You could do all of this with a sewing machine and have a finished product that is washable as well.

We're lucky that our market isn't taking the hit that others have. I'm sorry you're in this boat, but if it helps...it looks like you have the makings of a pretty place when you finish :) I used to live in a condo on the third level of a building (when I first moved to Alaska). This was my "home" after moving from our ten acre property, filled with apple trees and animals of all kinds. We got cougar in the yard once or twice, racoons, deer etc. I had an acre of flower gardens. I never heard a car or a neighbor. I loved it. I know your pain when you say you hate your view of the neighbor's kitchen! My way to deal with it was to make my home a haven on the inside, so that when I went in, I didn't feel the need to look out because it was so pretty. You just need to do the same :)

• abundantblessings
    15 years ago

Parma, I can so relate to the ambivalence toward your home; so many of us are in the same position. It's so disheartening with the downturn right now, but eventually the market will stabilize and start to inch its way back. In the meantime, we can't let too much negativity drag us down and stop us from turning our new houses into our homes. You're off to a great start inside and come spring, you can plant a flowering tree or build a beautiful garden to soften the view.

Can't help with the awning style instructions, and don't know if you want to introduce color or keep with the B & W drapes. Since I'm not matchy-matchy, here's a tweak on the drapes. You can glue on black grosgrain to better connect the valance with the drapes. This combo would also work well with a simple Roman shade with the toile for the main section and the side panels in the check with black ties where the fabrics meet. If you want color, I can visualize a French Country print in the warm tones of your beautiful new DR rug with perhaps an inverted pleat in BW check.

Here is a link that might be useful: toile & BW check valance

• stinky-gardener
    15 years ago

I didn't share the details of my situation because I thought you were complaining, but to provide perspective that I thought might be comforting. You seem from where I stand, to have gotten a lot for your money.

Still, I understand how you would miss the pastoral outdoor setting you had, & certain qualities about your previous residence that this one lacks.

Also, while the current economic crisis can be anxiety-provoking, when the time comes for you to sell, years down the road, I believe you will do fine. The economy will bounce back.

In the mean time, you are setting about making a house into a home. Part of that effort may include landscape design that brings in elements of your previous garden. Though I realize you can't replicate a forest preserve, many of the plants & flowers that became like friends to you will grow in the soil outside this house too!

And...you have some adorable black & cream check curtains in your kitchen that will frame the view of that great little garden some day!

• Valerie Noronha
    15 years ago

parma: I love what you did with the b&w check curtains in the breakfast room and think it would look good with the toile valance that abundantblessings linked. Since the windows are so close together, ut can be a different style, but should have some of the check fabric in it to tie it all together.

On another note, can you tell me more about your rod for the bay window? Did you have to buy multiple pieces and put it together or did it all come like that? I need one for my office.

• Happyladi
    15 years ago

Sorry, about you losing your beautiful view. It happened to me, too. My house backed up to a woods with a stream running through it. Now it backs up to houses.

But we worked with what we had. We planted some trees and with time they have grown beautifully. My husband put in a flagstone patio and an arbor covered with a flowering vine.

Plant a row of trees or shrubs across the back of your yard, put in flowers, shade trees, bushes and make it a nice place. It won't ever be the same as what you used to have but it can still be nice.

• parma42
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks everyone!

Stinky, I knew you providing perspective. I'm getting bored with all my whining and just felt like kicking myself in the butt a bit. :) A lot of this probably has to do with other events that have happened since we moved.

Igloo, thanks for all the directions. I've heard that you can iron fabrics together with an adhesive strip. I'd love to be able to pick out my own fabrics and get creative.

Abundant, the drapes don't photograph well, but there is black gross grain ribbon on the valance, which is actually one piece with the drapes (if that made any sense).

Val, I mentioned the hardware in your office post. I got the rods and connectors at Linen and Things. They are out of them now but they have the same deal at Country Curtains. We bought one long pole, two shorter ones and two connectors.

Happy, flagstone sound beautiful! That's what I had in my walking paths at the old house. Everyone here uses Unilock and I'd like to do something different. We'd have to get it delivered. DH's back isn't what it used to be. Thanks for the idea as I was stuck on pavers like we did with our last patio.

• zipdee
    15 years ago

Beautiful, beautiful drapes Parma! They look wonderful against your wall color.

• abundantblessings
    15 years ago

Parma, I didn't explain my suggestion very well. I meant if you were interested in being creative by combining any patterns in the ktchn that you add black gross grain ribbon to repeat the style from the drapes. You can hot glue or use iron-on tape, but if you want to be able to clean them it's best to hand stitch the ribbon on if you don't have a sewing machine or a friend who can help.

Love the drapes!

• parma42
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sorry abundant. I figured I might have misread your post. Think I'm suffering from mentalpause, lol.

Thanks for all the great ideas. Does anyone know what I'm talking about with the French style awning valance?

• johnatemp
    15 years ago

Parma,
    Your drapes look wonderful!! I really like what Igloo explained using the hooks for over your sink - that sounds like it would be cute.

Your kitchen is so pretty - I know we've talked on my thread about our kits - I love your cab color & your granite is gorgeous.

It is hard to stay optimistic but we haven't lost anything unless we sale - right now it is just paper. It does suck & has changed my thinking & spending, thou. Tearing out & painting cabs is not in my near future - oh well -
    We will all have fun here on GW figuring out cheaper ways to make things look good & be proud of them!!

Hang in there, sweetie:) Your house is beautiful.
    Smiles:)

• nanny2a
    15 years ago

Parma,

Here's the instructions on french bistro type awnings for kitchen windows. It looks as though it could all be done without having to sew. Where it tells you to sew a rod pocket, you could just use double sided iron on fusable tape instead. There were several listings at HGTV for these awnings, but it looked like this was the one that had the instructions for what you're looking to do. Good luck!!

BTW, I love the other drapes from Ballard, they really warm up your lovely kitchen.

Here is a link that might be useful: French bistro awnings

• nanny2a
    15 years ago

Parma, I just thought of an easier way to do that awning if you don't want to put sides on it. You would basically follow all the instructions as shown on the link, with these exceptions.

Materials needed:

1" flat wood trim piece cut to the length of the entire window area opening
    cafe rod w/ 6" return
    iron
    fabric
    fusible shade backing
    decorative trim
    hot glue gun
    scissors

Fold the fabric over the flat wood trim piece and hot glue it to the back of the trim. Attach that piece with two screws at the very top of your window opening, and use the cafe rod with the 6" return for the bottom shade support. This could be a very simple and quick solution, and would look great if you could find a fabric that would coordinate well with your drapes, with the same black gross grain ribbon used for trim.

Here is a link that might be useful: awning directions

• parma42
    Original Author
    15 years ago

nanny, you're an absolute angel!

I was doubting my capability to figure out how to do the sides. Your second post was a Godsend.

Thanks again!

• redbazel
    15 years ago

Parma, the black checks look so beautiful in your pretty kitchen. And while I like the look of awning style, I don't like the cleanup. Particularly over a kitchen window, that horizontal fabric will gather dust and the sticky stuff that eventually adheres to all kitchen window treatments. I think they would stay beautiful longer if you did some sort of vertically hanging valance.

Red

• mitchdesj
    15 years ago

I just love those drapes and how they look in your room; I would simply use a woven wood roman blind on your kitchen window, one that has a touch of black in it.