SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
southorangenj_gw

Advice on Kitchen Sink, Faucet, Undercounter Lighting, etc.!

southorangenj
15 years ago

I'm a complete novice, and I welcome all of your advice - thank you in advance!

We've gutted our 1910 kitchen, which had been mucked up by good-intentioned, cost-sensitive prior owners (drop down ceilings, paneling, linoleum, etc.). We're on a tight budget (well, as far as kitchen reno's go!), too, but we're trying not to be too short-sided. Here are a few background facts before my questions:

(1) We're using hand-me-down cabinets, so I don't know what finish they have (b/c I didn't pick them out) - sort of a light ash, maybe? Rather creamy tan.

(2) We're planning Ceasarstone (quartz) countertops in Carmel (some light tones like the cabinets but also some deeper hues to pop a bit more) (http://www.caesarstoneus.com/catalog/product.cfm?ProductID=45).

(3) The tile floors will be a medium brown (I'm terrible at describing things - they have some marbling of the light cream but mainly are a medium brownish/coffeeish) - I want to use dark grout because of 3 young kids and I also don't want to be too boring cream with the cabinets/appliances.

(4) We're reusing our appliances - all new within past 3 years, but cream and not stainless.

OK - now the questions:

(a) SINK - lots of questions here: Many folks have recommended SS sinks, but we don't have SS appliamces, and I fear that will clash. I'm thinking about Swanstone or, based on this board, silgranit. BUT I don't want to risk stains, cracks, etc. (i) Why did consumer reports rank solid surface so poorly behind SS and cast iron? Should I worry and go with SS? (ii) Any opinions between silgranit and swanstone? (iii) Has anyone put silgranit with quartz, or should silgranit only go with granite countertops? (iv) Any opinions between a biscuit or cocoa color sink? I initially thought biscuit, but now I'm thinking it's too boring (and a greater risk for stains). Would cocoa be too crazy? Maybe it could work if I do a venetian bronze faucet - that would pick up the dark flecks in the counters, right? I'm so nervous! (v) Finally, I only have a 33" cabinet, so that would mean I could only get the 24" silgranit sink (the double would fit, but each basin would be too small, right?). Is it worth going SS so that I can get a bigger basin?

(b) FAUCET: I'm attracted to the pull down faucets, like the Delta Saxony. BUT am I being dumb? Is it just as easy to have the sprayer on the side? Does it fall off easily? Break easily such that then you're stuck with no sprayer OR main faucet? I would love some feedback on people's experiences with pull down v. sprayer on the side and this model in particular. I also like the Delta Victorian series, although consumer reports recommended that the handle be on the top of the spout and not to its right - any opinions on that?

(c) UNDERCOUNTER LIGHTING: Any recommendations? My husband has run the electrical for it, but now he's just finding plug-in kinds at Home Depot. We need to be frugal, but there has to be something in between. I welcome ideas.

(d) GARBAGE DISPOSAL: Any reasons not to put one in - harder on sewer systems? Better to compost? They break too often? Take up too much space under the sink? They just seem so convenient, but I don't want to be stupid. I welcome your experiences! If yes, any model in particular?

I know this is A LOT - I'm sorry! I'm sooo overwhelmed! Thank you very much for helping me pull this all together!! Sheetrocking starts tomorrow - yikes!

Comments (6)