SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chocolatebunny_gw

Dark cabinets - keep light countertops or go dark?

chocolatebunny
13 years ago

Hi everyone --

I am new here and this is my first post. I have been checking out the finished kitchen blog a ton the last week or so getting ideas but am kind of stuck.

I would like to update my kitchen and give it a little more pizzaz without making it look too contemporary. A little background -- our house was built in 1998 and we are not the original owners. The house is a Georgean with a transitional feel. We've painted and got some new furniture but the kitchen has not been touched. There is white trim, white wood blinds and doors thoughout the house, which I do like. The kitchen also has white appliances, white 4X4 ceramic tiles for a backsplash, a white ceramic Kohler sink, and white laminate countertops with a wood edge. (I have photos but am having trouble posting them). Needless to say, I have a lot of white in my house.

The cabinets are dark cherry/brown and are in good shape so they are staying and I cannot change the layout of the room. The floor is medium oak hardwood.

The kitchen also faces west, so we get a lot of light in the afternoon. I plan on replacing the appliances as they die off with either black or stainless steel.

So I am focusing on the countertops. I keep going back and forth between staying light, as I like the contrast with the dark cabinets, or going dark like a dark grey. The backsplash would depend on what we get for the countertops. I don't want to go with something with a lot of upkeep like soapstone or marble as I have small kids that are constantly spilling and making messes.

From what I have seen, it appears that dark cabinets/dark countertops give a more traditional look than the contrasting dark cabinets/light countertops. I really don't want to do beige or sand as I have a ton of those colors thoughout the rest of the house.

If I could figure out how to post my photos you could get a better idea of what I am talking about.

How did you go about deciding whether to go light or dark on your countertops?

Thanks in advance.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting