SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
naan_gw

My Countertop Store Guy Measured Wrong--now what?

naan
14 years ago

Well, imagine my surprise. The only paid-for labor we're using in our entire kitchen project is from the fabricator of the countertop (Wilsonart Pearl Soapstone). I shopped around for the best reasonable price and a local kitchen shop owner who vowed great service came out and measured and chatted with us. He was really helpful with some issues, and really nice, and he measured wrong.

Figured it out ourselves this weekend, then talked to him today. The wall that has the stove in it has two countertop pieces on each side and he somehow lost the 1/2" that the countertop should go under the stovetop on one side and put it on the other. I didn't check his math when he was here, partly because I thought it wasn't necessary and partly bec. he seemed to be hiding it a bit--in case we didn't order with him?

So, I got measurements from him last week, my new base cabinet piece came in and it all didn't add up right.

He says the countertop has been made already (he just checked) and there's nothing he can do.

Excuse me? After some discussion, during which I was more polite than I felt like being, he allowed as how THEY could shave off 1/2 on one L and glue to the other L for us--and "we won't even see it" under the edge of the stove.

IS THIS SOMETHING I SHOULD ACCEPT OR OBJECT TO?

I'm so disappointed. I think for a minute he forgot that I could basically reject the whole countertop... and now he is trying his best to make it up to us, but...

well, maybe it will be unseen--but not forgotten.

ANy advice appreciated.

Sigh.

I had taken this forums advice not to trust ourselves to measure! How ironic! This man had 30 yrs experience. HE just goofed up.

Comments (15)