SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plllog

So what is it with men and ice cube shape?

plllog
13 years ago

A couple of years ago, in the Appliance Forum, there was a big discussion of ice cube shapes, which ice makers had which, and how picky the men (both members, and DH's) were about ice cube shape. I'd forgotten about it until the current commercial came on with the shoppers wanting cubes, not crescents. Now everybody else (not GW) is talking about it.

I'm not a gin drinker and understand nothing about "bruising" it, or if it's a real thing or just a poetic notion walking around as lore.

Beyond that, however, why does it matter? Is it about making your drink look like the ones in the photos that are made with hand hewn cubes cut off of a block? Is it having sharp edges to worry with the tongue? Is it about looking square and manly rather than curvy and girly? I mean, what's up?

There are a few different ways that icemakers work, and these usually imply the shape. something has to hold the water, so the best way to get cubes is to have a bottom that drops out. If there isn't a dropped bottom, then the try has to flip. Crescents are the easiest to reliably slop out of trays. Even my manual trays make crescents. The hat shaped ones rely on the wider bases aiding gravity for the shake out. My new Miele freezer makes pillbugs!! (Short, fat crescents.) They're funny looking, but they freeze really tight and last a long time.

Clear ice is another story, depending on purity of water, rapidity of freezing (or lack of it--it should happen slowly), and air in the water. Machines that make clear ice add water in thin layers, which I guess is the equivalent of slow freezing, and probably gives the air in each layer a chance to escape. Some people insist on that too. It's pretty, but it seems to me that clear ice also isn't as cold as cloudy and melts too fast. Try to explain that to a guy who wants clear cubes. My cloudy pillbugs are cute, but cute doesn't fly in some circles.

What's up with guys and the appearance of ice?

Comments (31)