SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
roulie_gw

FINISHED!! (almost!) cherry shaker, black leathered granite

roulie
14 years ago

Yay!! I am officially "finished"!! Well, 99% finished. I still need a few rugs and new bar stools and I have to fill my glass cabinets, but the kitchen was tidy enough for pictures this morning (after a hasty cleaning for a dinner party last night) and I decided it was now or never.

The renovation started 2 days after Christmas and lasted approximately 5 months. In addition to the kitchen, we gutted 3 bathrooms, including dormering out the master bathroom to get a few more feet across the back of the house. It was an almost perfect project from start to finish (barring the things that were revealed during the demolition that didn't meet current code and needed to be fixed). Amazing contractor, amazing crew, amazing husband and kids to live in the mess that we had for so long. Well, living in a 55 degree house for most of the winter wasn't ideal, but I got used to wearing my down jacket inside all day long. Thank goodness for Trader Joe's and a good microwave! And a big THANK YOU to all of the wonderful ideas I got in this forum. I tend to research things to death and this site was my addiction for the past year.

I have a 1960s cape cod house in New England -- boxy rooms and bad flow. We took down the wall between the family room (which is the room you enter the house through) and the kitchen; also the wall between the kitchen and the dining room, but we added cabinetry there to give the feeling of separation while still allowing light to flow between the front of the house (DR) and the back (kitchen). There was an open front porch in front of the family room that we enclosed to make a mudroom. (Hallelujah for mudrooms and boys!!)

Here are some "oldies" of our original 1960s cape cod kitchen:

Range wall -- behind this wall was the laundry room, which we moved to the basement so we could incorporate the space into the kitchen ;

Wall between kitchen and dining room:

Original double oven, at the end of the wall between the kitchen and dining room

I don't miss this cooktop!

We replaced this small window to get more light:

Dining room with door to kitchen. This wall was removed.

Looking from the kitchen to the family room.

The original laundry room, now part of the kitchen:

And the finished product!

Taken from the family room:

Taken looking into the family room (still unfurnished!)

Looking from the kitchen window into the dining room:

The island is 10 feet long.

New Ticor sink -- thanks garden webbers!!

Kenmore elite induction range:

4-drawer recycling -- a must in a town with no trash collection (we haul our own to the dump) -- I guess I could have at least emptied the trash before taking a picture!

We wanted these to look like furniture, with feet and a matching cherry top:

Still have to dig up the crystal and other things to put in here:

Do you think I need new dining room chairs??

New slider to mudroom, which used to be an open front porch:

New mantle -- still trying to decide what to cover the old brick with:

Just for fun: old powder room:

New powder room:

Some details:

Cabinetry: Plain & Fancy shaker style (I don't think that's the actual model name...) with Heirloom finish

Counters: Cambrian Black granite with antique leather finish

Sink: Ticor from garden web -- the 32" long with zero radius corners

Appliances: all Kenmore elite (I know, many people don't like the "all one brand appliance" thing, but it just worked out that way). I LOVE my new induction range!! I've always been a gas girl, but that was not a great option in this house, and I have been really happy with induction.

Faucet: Kohler simplice

Backsplash: Grazia "Rixi" in a color that I'm drawing a blank on and am too lazy to run to the garage to check the box... if anyone is interested you can check another posting of mine where I sing its praises

Pendants in kitchen and dining room: pottery barn

If anyone wants more specific details, let me know and I'll supply.

Comments (23)

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz