SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
buehl

What are the odds?

Buehl
13 years ago

OK...most of you know that I give a lot of layout advice with pros & cons of various configurations.

Well, we moved to another rental home last night and the very first room I checked out was, of course, the kitchen!

I swear, 90% of the things I recommend against were done in this kitchen! What things?

Sink has only 6" on the right b/w it and the refrigerator (I've already bumped my elbow several times this morning on the refrigerator side while working at the sink)

Undercounter oven (and it IS low!)

Blind corner base cabinet...that I noticed the owner didn't even bother putting the shelf in...it's sitting on the bottom of the cabinet

Trash under the sink

Gas cooktop in the peninsula with only approx 15" b/w it and the edge of the seating overhang

9" overhang at bar-height seating (there's a pony wall b/w the back of the cooktop cabinet & the clear space for leg room) - and I can already tell you it's much too shallow...I'm starting to think that even 12" isn't enough overhang for bar-height seating...but it would be much better than the 9" there is now! I will also not let anyone sit there when I'm using the cooktop...too dangerous! I made everyone remove paper, etc. from the counter b/c I'm concerned about the flame being so close to the overhang.

12" tapering down to 3" or so b/w the edge of the cooktop & the edge of the counter on the left where all the traffic through the kitchen comes through and a 36" walkway there [Peninsula is at an angle, so the 12" is at the "top" of the peninsula/cooktop and the 3" is at the "bottom"...the side is "stepped down"]

SxS Refrigerator

Refrigerator only about 3" from the wall & doorway trim in the right...and the right door won't open past 90"...not wide enough to remove the crisper bins

Garage door right there...in the wall next to the refrigerator

Only the width of the garage door + trim (32" + 4") for an aisle

Telescoping downdraft (on high you can barely feel any air movement)...it's a Dacor

Then there are the 3 places (that I've found so far) where they didn't put filler in and doors hit adjacent drawers or adjacent door knobs...in 2 corners & one place where there are two doors both have hinges on the left side so the door on the right hits the knob of the door on the left.

On the plus side...the have pretty good appliances! Miele steam oven, Miele oven, Miele plate warmer, Dacor MW (the MW I wanted in my kitchen but didn't have room for!), & Dacor gas cooktop.

[All these high-end appliances, and they put in a "Badger" GD!]

It's looks like a new remodel b/c the garage is full of old appliances & cabinets!

I think they have IKEA cabinets in the upstairs MBA...if so, my respect for IKEA has risen...they're a lot nicer than I thought they would be. But, they have laminate counters in the MBA...and granite counters in both downstairs bathrooms & the kitchen. One bathroom has what I think is Black Galaxy...much nicer than the BG I saw when I was granite shopping! I may have gotten the BG instead of the AB Premium if I had seen those slabs!

This is going to be an interesting week!

Comments (10)