SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
redroze_gw

Would these pendants look strange with my backsplash?

redroze
15 years ago

Would these pendants look strange with my backsplash? Please be honest as they are both going to be pricey purchases, and if they don't work then I will have to choose between them!

I loved these pendants even before our kitchen reno. They are definitely traditional, we will get them in a bright nickel finish (not oil-rubbed bronze). Two of them will go over our 3x8 island.

But I also love going with a glass backsplash as most of our elements are fairly traditional, including the faucets, hardware and cabinetry. I want to mix in some contemporary elements so it doesn't look too classic. But do you think the combination of the pendants and backsplash would just look odd?

Pendants:

{{!gwi}}

Backsplash will be white, NOT blue, and running horizontally NOT vertically. Not sure which one we're going with yet.

{{!gwi}}

This gives you an idea of the island relationship to the backsplash, which will go only on the l-shaped white perimeter cabinets.

{{!gwi}}

Comments (40)

• remodelfla
    15 years ago

I love that backsplash and it gives off a very contemporary vibe. IMHO, the pendants, although lovely, are "make a statement" kind of traditional. I really don't think it will go. Don't get me wrong, I'm all about mixing styles and think that backsplash will look awesome in a traditional setting but I'm not seeing it with those pendants. Could you find another place (ie bathroom) that you can use them since you love them so much?

• igloochic
    15 years ago

Well I'll go one step further and say that the pendants are lovely and given what you've shown us about your kitchen they'll be wonderful!

The backsplash is lovely as well....but IMO a big mistake in your kitchen. Mixing styles is fine, but some just don't flow together well....I really think that you should find a less contemporary back splash tile. Perhaps glass in a traditional shape, thereby making the transition less extreme.

• Related Discussions

How would this backsplash look?

Q

Comments (23)
    rrs626 - I am sorry I don't have any photos of my kitchen. That backsplash is in our home in Michigan and we are in Florida for the winter. Re: tile color. The lighter tone you are looking at looks like botticelli to me. Although it is a pretty color, I think it is too light and "cool" for your backsplash. Your colors seem warm and that color tile will really make those cabinets jump. You need a midrange, warm shade - Light Noce? Although, Lt. Noce may be too brown with your counters - it all depends on which stones YOU get! Believe me, I know as a designer AND a consumer how frustrating and scary this process is. Did you purchase a few square feet of the lighter color? Here's what I did when I needed to get an exact color - just don't tell anyone you heard it from me(wink, wink)! I purchased a few shades of WATER BASED paints and stains from Michael's craft store. I diluted them with water and then started experimenting on the stone. This works best with a "plainer" stone like the botticelli I think you have. Try using a sponge and dabbing it on and try painting it on with a brush. You just have to play around. Obviously, chose paints or stains in a color you think is missing. Wood tones are a good place to start. If you find something that works, make sure you do 5 or 6 tiles, at least, to make sure it is the right feel. If it works, make sure you get a water based sealer or you could have a mess on your hands. Remember, experiment, experiment, experiment. It's a small investment to make. Concerning size: If you have 18" (or a little less) you can do the 6x6 offset pattern, no problem. Get a grout that blends for a less busy look. And, one more idea - have you considered running the granite all the way up to your cabinets? It is a nice, clean look that I think would work because your slab does not have as much movement but it does have large "swirls" to give it interest. I've seen that done many times in all styles of kitchens and it looks good. Plus, you know it will match!
    ...See More

Vertical Backsplash? A Backsplash Regret?

Q

Comments (28)
    I can see why it might be advisable to remove the left/rt portions of tile, but I would be inclined to wait until ithe kitchen is completed before deciding. If, as your gut tells you, it "needs" to come down, nothing is really lost except a little more time with it up. Perhaps knowing you are not "locked-in" or committed to it, will help give the perspective to view it more objectively while deciding for sure. This way you will not only have the chance to see it with everything else in place, but you will also have the opportunity to get used to it, before deciding if you truly dislike it, or just haven't gotten used to it being there. As subtle (in color) as our tile is, after months of looking at white painted Sheetrock, it still looked "different" and stood out when we looked at our kitchen. Once we became accustomed to it, we couldn't imagine our walls without it. That's how I am with many things--after living with a blank wall or empty space for any period of time, even a long awaited piece of furniture or decor item jumps out at me, and almost seems like too much, until I get used to the vacant space being filled. Thanks for the compliments on our backsplash Laura and andreak100! It's the Opera Glass tile from Artistic Tile (Stilatto pattern) in Wolfgang White. It does read greenish-blue(-grey) in certain lights or times of day. We had to think about that one while deciding if we wanted to use it, and obviously decided to go for it! Good luck Laura! Honestly, whatever you decide will look terrific!
    ...See More

Tile backsplash question - would this look weird?

Q

Comments (5)
    Thanks for the replies. Palimpsest, I didn't write this in my original post, the space below the upper cabinets fits *exactly* 6 rows of tile. So if I put corner bullnose on that corner, the finished edge on the top would extend under the cabinets. Then there would be a bunch of normal field tile next to it without the bullnose edge, which might look weird. Anyway, I think I've just decided to line it up with the cabinets and be done with it (thanks for the encouragement Lake_Girl and Mary11). It'll still line up with the top and bottom cabinets (just not the counter), which I think would look fine. Plus, that outside corner takes some abuse because of where it is, and keeping the backsplash an inch in from it will help prevent the tiles from knocking loose. Thanks again for the responses.
    ...See More

Will this hood and backsplash look strange?

Q

Comments (12)
    Thanks for your opinions everyone. To clarify, I was thinking of something like the picture in the link below but the backsplash would be fire and ice. My cabinets will be a chocolate/dark brown color. It has a horizontal vent for the 10" duct. malhgold - yes, I love your lights above the island! So cool. What's the name of your island countertop? Love your faucet too. http://www.thermador.com/planning/photo-gallery/details/145
    ...See More
  • jen4268
    15 years ago

I am looking at a picture that I clipped as an inspiration picture, and it looks exactly like what you have described. A mostly traditional kitchen, white cabinets and marble counters, with the backsplash in white that you have pictured above. They also used lights that look very similar to the ones you are thinking of and they look great! I wish I could scan it it for you, but if you happen to have back issues of Traditional Homes Magazine, it was May, 2006.

• redroze
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Jen - could you take a photo of it and post it? Although I have doubts, I see it in my head, and for some reason I think it would work!I just need to see it. I'll google Trad Homes magazine...

I know how everyone's feeling about it though as that's why I posted. Argh, if I could just get both and see how they look...but I can't "borrow" the pendants from the store,

Igloo - I was considering a subway tile in glass but I had my heart set on something more contemporary.

Do you think even the blue style (in white) would be too much? I know the second one, which is cat_mom's backsplash, is very dramatic as it has three different sized tiles. But the blue one is all the same size (1"x8"), just in two different finishes, matte and glossy.

• malhgold
    15 years ago

Does the store have the pendants in stock? They won't let you borrow it(with a credit card as security) before you decide? Can you buy one and then return it if it doesn't work?

I do think it could work, but, like you, I would like to see it before I committed 100%.

Maybe someone could photoshop it for you to give you a better idea.

• rmkitchen
    15 years ago

I think your kitchen is coming together nicely (having seen your sneak-peek pictures of cabinets and floor), and I LOVE the idea of having a modern element in your classic, traditional kitchen.

That being said. I think the pendants are a) wrong with the glass skinny horizontal tile and b) maybe a little too fussy in general.

If you were going to do the skinny subway tile in ceramic, like this:
    {{gwi:1585674}}
    then your pendants might still work. The shape of the tile is definitely modern while the material isn't.

But with that fabulous glass skinny subway tile, you have two modern elements. Now, I happen to prefer the glass tile (but that's a personal choice, personally mine), but in my mind's eye that pendant will just be too fussy. While lovely, it's got a lot going on ....

I feel confident there is a pendant out there which mimics the overall shape but without all the frou-frou. That would work in your kitchen!

You know who really knows her lighting stuff? mindimoo. I hope she pipes in over here because I feel 100% confident she would know exactly where to send you.

• redroze
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I already asked the store. They are custom-made antique reproductions that they make in the finish you want. So there are no take-homes unfortunately.

I could potentially get a sample of the backsplash and hold it up to the light at the store. But I don't think it would give me the full impact.

My cabinets go up next week. I could take a photo and ask a really kind, generous GardenWebber to Photoshop it for me?

• igloochic
    15 years ago

Personally what's bothering me about the back splash isn't the color (and the white will be great) it's the shape. The shape is very very modern and then running it up and down, again very very modern. forgive me, but it reminds me of my exMIL who had high style (lots of gloss and carving) victorian furniture with rustic country pieces (beat up tool boxes etc). Both the victorian and the country were gorgeous...and very expensive, but those are two styles that don't mix well. If her victorian pieces were a bit less detailed, and fancy (velvets etc) or the country pieces a bit less rustic, ie no milk paint etc, the look would have been a lovely eclectic room. But because the styles were so opposite, the end result was a room that made you want to back away slowly before the train wreck exploded (ok the collection of realistic baby dolls didn't help either).

I get that same feel when in my mind I go back to your example pictures of what your dream kitchen was. I do like glass tiles...don't get me wrong, but the shape and design of this backsplash screams really really modern. I think if you just changed it up to a classic shape with a modern finish (ie glass squares or subway or sheets) you'd have a fit that was much more comfortable with each other.

Eclectic is good...heck it's wonderful...I live by that design style...but you can go from eclectic to excentric very quickly...and that's something that's best avoided.

• amck2
    15 years ago

I agree with the above posters (rmkitchen said what I was going to say, only better & including a picture!)

After months of contemplation I thought I had found the "perfect" tile for my backsplash. I loved that tile. But when I took samples and put them in my kitchen last week it was clear that they didn't go. Rather than complementing the countertops, the tile appeared to be working against it. I kept going back to it, hoping to find visual harmony, but it just wasn't there.

IMHO, I think you have to choose between those sconces or the small glass tiles.

• redroze
    Original Author
    15 years ago

RMkitchen - Thank you, that's a huge compliment for you since I know you have great taste! I see what you're saying about the two modern elements (material and shape). To my eye, the skinny subway tile is very similar to the 1x8 blue glass tile above in terms of shape, but obviously not in material. Ceramic has never "done it" for me, as beautiful as it is.

The way I see it though, is there are overwhelming traditional elements in my kitchen that a one ultra-modern piece would give it a nice punch. That's what I'm hoping.

After reading the replies though, I'm getting to what I fear. I think the two won't work together. I fear this because I know it's going to be really really hard to find a replacement for either one!

Help Mindimoo and anyone else!! My kitchen's going in next week and I need to get cracking on these two things.

• redroze
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Igloo - we're not running it up and down, we're running it horizontally. I wanted to stress that to everyone as I know it would look WAY too modern up and down!!

• amysrq
    15 years ago

I am all for the mix. Does it have to be that exact lantern? There are a few at Circa lighting that have the same basic design, but are a lot less ornate. I think you could pull it off with a cleaner fixture and a contemporary metal, something you already know.

I am also of the belief that things we adore go together simply because we adore them. Yes, that theory doesn't always work, but it gets me a long way!

Here is a link that might be useful: Here's a cleaner version

• clax66
    15 years ago

I love the pendant and I love the horizontal backsplash...but not together. There is no transition. IMHO, the tiny glass tiles are very contemporary and don't juxtapose well against the ornate lighting.

But then again...I love traditional kitchens with very modern lighting...only my significant other does not like like this look and that is why we still have naked lightbulbs dangling from our ceiling.

What other finishes - faucets - knobs/pulls - countertops - are you choosing?

• malhgold
    15 years ago

rmkitchen - sorry to go off topic, but do you have a source for that skinny subway tile? Thanks!

• bluekitobsessed
    15 years ago

Redroze, I think you're getting tired of hearing this from everyone but I don't see that backsplash in your kitchen. I could see one twist on tradition with glass in an otherwise traditional tile layout, OR one twist with skinny shaped ceramic subways, but not both, in your kitchen. Margieb has a beautiful glass tile backsplash that IMO is the paradigm glass-tile-in-traditional-kitchen. I think you want something with a bit more of a twist, and that's fine, but have you looked at glass subway tiles?

Another suggestion, which others here might either veto or amplify, is to have a second non-traditional element so that the backsplash doesn't stand out as the only modern thing. Perhaps cabinet hardware or ??? Maybe a different light such as what clax66 suggests?

I'm not crazy about the lights, but I don't like chains and I don't like that intricate cutout (filigree?) at the top of the glass, so feel free to disregard my opinion.

• redroze
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sorry in advance for the large photos. I know things look awfully neutral. My accent colours will change up between greyish blue, red, and lavendar.

Hardware:

Faucet:
    {{gwi:2108111}}

Cabinets (in progress), mix of white painted and brown stained:
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

Floors:
    {{!gwi}}

Granite:
    {{!gwi}}

Silgranit sink in Biscuit:
    {{!gwi}}

• rmkitchen
    15 years ago

malhgold -- those tiles are Ann Sacks Elements. They come in a myriad of sizes & colors and when I was looking at them I was thinking of either the 1"x6" or 2"x6"; they're ~$40 a square foot (not inc. installation).

Well, I still love the horizontal white glass skinny subway tile and I really think it will work in your kitchen. I really do, redroze.

And the light fixture amysrq linked is really similar -- don't you think? (yea Amy!) I love that it still has the shape of your choice but without all the doo-dads. Could you like it? Could you be happy with it in your kitchen?

I've been following your quest for a backsplash and I know how much this funky edge means to you. Before I found our countertop material (which we also used as our backsplash) I'd been thinking of doing a skinny subway tile, either glass or ceramic. Just like you, I wanted a modern touch -- I live in an eleven year-old house but had my heart set on a traditional, classic white kitchen. But I didn't want it to be twee or incongruous (with the age / [lack of] style of the house), plus I feel so lucky to get to live in the twenty-first century that I wanted it represented!

Anyway, blah blah blah. But I just want you to know that I am 100% on your side (as we all are).

Which of these makes your heart sing more, the backsplash tile or the pendant? Whichever it is, go with that and then let it inform your other choice.

• mollyred
    15 years ago

I think those pendants will be SPECTACULAR (!!!) with your kitchen design. The non-traditional, modern, bright nickel finish liberates them from traditionalism and makes them a modern comment on traditional forms. Your proposed faucets do the same thing. Thus, your lights and faucets become, at least, transitional if not ironic modern. I also think that whichever way you run your tile, side-to-side or up-and-down will be fantastic. Your kitchen will be an eclectic blend of modern and traditional elements and will break out of the ho-hum molds of "all traditional" or "all modern". It's a bold step, but a great one! Then again, I love eclectic design. I think it speaks to our modern lives, where traditional and modern elements mingle inseparably.

There's my 2 cents' worth.

• amysrq
    15 years ago

The other thought I has was using the Opera tile but all in a matte finish. Would that still work for you? You know...tone both items down so they approach the middle ground...slightly less frou-frou lanterns, slightly less modern glass??

Btw, you are now at fault for making me fall in love with the Jazz Glass tile. Very bad. I don't even want to know what it costs....but I'll probably be making a phone call tomorrow.

• jen4268
    15 years ago

I managed to take a picture of the photo, but it has some glare.

The light in the picture actually looks more like the one from Circa lighting- which is a nice look. All the cabinet hardware is polished nickel even though it looks darker in the copy of the photo.

• igloochic
    15 years ago

I see i missed the direction of the tile....but i'm still not in favor of it. i do however love those lights, and seeing them with all the other lovely pieces....honey they're going to sing :o) i would not pass on the lighting, it's actually perfect! i'd just pass on that tile :( i'd do a subway in glass in a heartbeat...or even a mini subway in glass which is more modern but not ultra given the shape...or do the shape you love in a gorgeous ceramic (I don't love ceramics...and yet i found that once i visited a high end tile store i felt totally different about it). a gorgeous crackle tile in the more modern shape would be fun....

Play in this catalog....the one right on the front is great for a modern/transitional piece. i have matouche in croc (tobac) its gorgeous! sobu is fab! the white studio moderne would flow well with those pendants (page 30) and xilo on page 38 in the tiny subways would be great....just a few quick ideas (but get the pendants LOL ok?)

Here is a link that might be useful: walker zanger

• lowspark
    15 years ago

I think it could work. When I read your first post I was thinking, ugh, not with the kitchen shown in the picture you posted for the example. It's just too contemporary. But scrolling down to see the actual elements in your kitchen, well, I think it's a nice mix into which the light fixture will fit.

My only concern about that fixture is: how much light does it give off? It's a sort of chandelier with chandelier bulbs which I think of as great for ambient lighting but not necessarily for directly lighting a work space. But if you're ok with the amount of light that will land on your work area, then I'd say Go for it!

• mindimoo
    15 years ago

Hi Redroze!

Isn't this fun? At least it's supposed to be!

We looked at the same granite slab (Bianco Antico?) before we chose our marble, it's lovely and I know it has that chunky, sparkly mica bits throughout!

Since I've been living the pendant lighting search nightmare for months and just found (as you know) "THE" One, I have to say go with the pendants you found and love.

However, as I say this, do you think the pendants will have enough light to bring out the sparkle in the slabs? Or would a downlight halogen be better? Maybe you don't want to bring that detail out, but it is an important thing to consider.

IMHO backsplash is easier. There are more options, more than you can imagine and it might be a bit of a search, but you can find a nice glass tile that will give you a modern lift without too much trouble. I agree with igloochic on this one.

You could make the backsplash you have selected work - don't get me wrong, the right accessories could make it really hip. The photo jen4268 posted proves it! That's a great kitchen. And, the kitchen is one of the only places in a traditional home (and the bathrooms) that you can really push the envelope with modern accents - think about tying in with your modern appliances.

I see why you love that glass tile, I get it! It's gorgeous, simple as that! But, if it worries you with your lighting, could you feature it in a bath if you have to have that one?

I just checked a couple local places I like to shop and found this glass tile, with a little more traditional "stonesetter" look and appears to be available in matte and glossy: (click on "View Product Specifications for photo from side of install - looks like a green product also).

Try this link too: http://www.pentalonline.com/swatch/glass/modavetro.html scroll through the pages until you get to Moda Vetro 4 Magic Series - ES58 Magic - that pattern is modern too, but also fits the traditional idea.

Or:
    http://www.pentalonline.com/swatch/glass/rainbow.html
    second page has Super White 3/4" x 1-1/2" which would be modern, yet traditional running bond pattern.

In the end, if you love them both and love them together, then they are right for you! If you go for it, love it and don't look back! People who see it will think you are a Design Diva Extraordinaire!

Keep us all posted!

Here is a link that might be useful: modulo bianco sfalsato matte 8

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    15 years ago

I think it doesn't matter what anyone here thinks: what do you think, redroze? The fact that you're asking indicates to me that you aren't too certain, but you're the one who will have to live with it, not any of us. I don't think it will be any more inappropriate than the capiz shell tile splashes starting to show up in otherwise traditional kitchens in decorating mags.

You know, I once heard Nate Berkus say that anyone who buys into the notion of "themed" styles (contemporary/tradtitional/beach/cottage/etc) is a marketing victim and you should just have what you like regardless of whether it "fits" or not.

If I liked it, I wouldn't hesitate to do it.

• PRO
    puertasdesign
    15 years ago

Would you consider the same backsplash design, but in white marble?
    That would allow you to keep the cool edginess of the tile pattern, but in a more "vintage" material.

• bluekitobsessed
    15 years ago

Redroze, now that I've seen jen's pic, I take back what I said about the tile. It's gorgeous. Ignore us doubters. I especially like the RH glass knob with your other elements. Go for the sparkles everywhere you can -- backsplash, lights, knobs, ?

(Fwiw, I had a similar experience with knobs -- I liked frosted glass knobs/pulls but a lot of people on both GW and in RL doubted that frosted glass would work; once I installed them they made a lot more sense and some of my girlfriends admit they were wrong!)

• redroze
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow wow wow

I feel like crying...not out of frustration...but because you guys are all so AWESOME! I'm just reading all the posts now as i was at a party last night. And am touched and in awe at how awesome this forum is. Better than just having a designer as I'm able to bounce ideas and get different perspectives. And a ton of informed knowledge and opinons. I feel so grateful that i stumbled upon here a few months ago. Has made such a huge difference in the experience of my kitchen reno and (I know) has made me a faithful GardenWebber for life!

Let me try to give an update as best I can. I apologize in advance if I callout some of your names and not to others. Your opinions are all great, and I'm trying to amalgamate them into helping me make the final decision.

(And here comes Redroze's fancy html skills. For geeks like me, you can use an unordered list tag, i.e. "ul" combined with "li" for each listed item.)

• Jen4268 - Thank you so much for the photo! It makes a world of difference to see it visualized. I see what a difference making the light less ornate does to letting the backsplash sparkle. Specifically, I think the remove of the bottom metal point on the pendant allows the backsplash to stand on its own. I see how ORB works well with a white island, and confirms for me even more that I should do a polished nickel pendant since I have a dark brown island.

• Mindimoo, Lowspark and others - The pendants are definitely meant to be ambient lighting as there are potlights everywhere. All lighting is on a dimmer. Although I like the granite a lot I don't want to necessarily further highlight the sparkly aspect of it so it's understated (in a low-lit sparkly way...hahaha).

• Rmkitchen, Rob and others - I totally see what everyone is saying about the backsplash. So I'm hearing, either go with modern style in ceramic, or traditional style in glass, if I want to use the ornate pendants.

• Igloo - You've tugged at my heart strings. I love the pendant lights too and somehow they just feel like they would define my kitchen. The pendants are my old love and my backsplash is my new...I feel like I can't have both!! Actually, when I think of it in those terms, maybe the pendants would be the better choice. I have loved my husband for the past 10 years and he will always be my love. He's a classic. =)

• Mindi - You're so right...backsplash is easier. Thank you, thank you for those wonderful backsplash options! You rock!!!!

• Writersblock and All - Thank you for the point that doing what I love will be good, and that you're on my side. I need to figure out what it is what I want, and being such a decisive person it really bugs me that I can't figure this one out!! That is such an interesting quote from Nate Berkus. Being in marketing previously myself, I do feel a bit of the "being marketed to" aspect of the styles.

• Bluekit - Great story and I'm glad it worked out for you! I worry about posting in a few months and frantically writing "I...

• PRO
    puertasdesign
    15 years ago

1. It's the proportions. The further you get from the traditional brick dimensions, the more modern it appears. The randomness that comes with using different lengths, as in your glass tiles, makes it even more modern.

Personally, I love this element of chaos and surprise, and I would keep that. Just with the twist of using a more traditional material.

2. It's hard to tell if they are all the same size, or if there are multiple sizes being used. Also it looks a little bit iridescent to me, which I usually don't care for.

3. The pendant is in polished nickel is definitely the way to go. The ORB version seems more fussy to me, while the nickel definitely ties in nicely with your knobs & pulls and makes for a more cohesive look.

• kitchendetective
    15 years ago

I think your original idea works. However, if you do decide to change one element, I would suggest that it be the backsplash because I love the lights (assuming they provide the amount of light that you need), and would like to see you keep that element. I have seen many kitchens where the lights go in a different design direction from other elements lately, and I really like the overall look.

• redroze
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Rob!! I've never seen the different-length backsplash in ceramic before, definitely an option. I think one of Minidmoo's links has it and it looked GREAT. You're right, it does look iridescent and I don't like the rainbow colours it gives off either. I understand what you mean about getting further away from subway dimensions.

I just wanted to share an inspiration photo that I've carried forever, which gave me the idea for the pendants. This kitchen is admittedly a different style, somewhat Parisian style and country beadboard and eclectic (sorry for the cliche descriptions), and the brown panelled ceiling is very dramatic. It'sa signature kitchen that only this kitchen could pull off! In another photo, the backsplash is clearly an off-white ceramic subway tile. It looks darker in the photo but the pendants are a polished nickel.

{{gwi:2108113}}

• susan4664
    15 years ago

I think the pendant lights, although very stylish, are benign enough in form that they wouldn't clash with anything! Go for it-ABSOLUTELY!!!

• jen4268
    15 years ago

redroze- I didn't mention it before, but I was looking for the exact type of light that you had pictured, and was struggling with finish and size. I thought you might appreciate two versions I found that were polished nickel- one I though had a cool, modern take on a globe light, and the other is more traditional

Here is the link to the website if you want to see all of the options:

http://www.vaughandesigns.com/site/category.cfm?category=30&parent=17

• User
    15 years ago

For what it's worth,I have been reading through the comments, and I am reminded how some decorating is so individual.
    I think the lights and the backsplash would look gorgeous together, and I totally am hopelessly clueless about the dimension of the tile varying by 2" to make it be more compatible.
    I don't dispute it- I just so don't get it.
    I think the lights are gorgeous and I don't see anything about the backsplash not working with the lights and the kitchen. I guess whatever floats your boat - I will now crawl back out of the way but I had to voice my opinion here.

• boxiebabe
    15 years ago

After seeing the pics of your other selections (brown cabinets especially) - I think they'd work. Another reason I think they'd work is because you obviously LOVE them (I love them too!).

Personally, I went with lighting that was not in keeping with the rest of my kitchen (mission)... but I didn't care, because I LOVED them. They provide just the right light, and really give a much warmer feeling to my kitchen than if I'd gone with something mission style. But I also did a couple of other things that weren't mission necessarily - my backsplash has some iridesent tiles in it, my granite is Emerald Pearl (VERY sparkly).
    But **I LOVE BLING**! I stuck with what I loved, and I still love it.

My KD said that although the lights were pretty, it wasn't in keeping with the style of the rest of my kitchen. I agreed, then continued to tell her how happy they make me feel. Hubby initally didn't care too much for them either, but he does now. I get MANY compliments "What pretty lights!" and I love them, so of course that just confirms FOR ME that I made the right choice.

The moral of the story is.... just do what you FEEL GOOD about. Don't over-think it too much. It's obvious to me from looking at the pics of your selections, that you have good taste so even if it's not "perfect" in the eyes of others, if you love it, so what?

Get 'em Roze!

Looking forward to seeing them, along with the rest of your kitchen when it's complete.

Boxie

• igloochic
    15 years ago

I think rob answered you well :) Although when I think of subway tile I always think of a tile with a specific shape, which might be wrong, but i'd think of either 1x3 or 3x6 (brick shaped?) as subway and anything else as ummm something else LOL

I would agree that decorating can be (and often is) individual, but there are also some rules to decorating that keep a room from falling apart visually. My kitchen is eclectic as all get out, and in looking at the art deco lighting, moose handle and inset cabs with crazy granite, you'd think I just "chose what I loved" but actually every single little piece went into a specific pattern of scale and design. WOW factors are carefully counted and defined, and limited. Jumps from design style to design style are very carefully completed by altering style or material to bring a twist to the item that pulls it towards another (ie material or finish).

We all have things we love :) But if you wander around the house, and grab every one of them, and throw them in the kitchen, you are probably going to find that many don't "go" together or in the kitchen :) Red did something that to me is always a clear signal I'm heading down the wrong path decorating wise...when I have to ask "does this work" it's my instinct kicking in because it really does not work...I just want to be talked into ignoring my instinct :o) Your instinct is spot on here...you have two fab elements...but you have to choose :) And choosing the lights is the way to go!

• amysrq
    15 years ago

Beware of absolutes.

I like the examples of lanterns in bright nickel that Jen offered up. It really gives a sense of how a change in material can shift an object forward or back in time. Of the two, I prefer the second. The first, while more modern, feels a bit clunky to me. And I think the delicate nature of the lights you're after is preferable.

Remember, when a person walks into your kitchen, there will be a lot to look at and they'll get a whole big beautiful picture. It's not like the lanterns and the tile will be sitting in isolation, waiting to be judged on their appropriateness to each other! ;-) The backsplash and the lanterns kind of occupy two different visual spaces anyway, IRL.

What kind of range are you using, btw? Is it a pro-style?

I still stand by my original contention that if you love the two things, then they go together, simply because they are both loved by you! I had a lot of naysayers on my last kitchen where I mixed pale blue and cherry in a very European design. I won a decorating contest with that kitchen and everyone who initially rolled their eyes saw that it was a good thing! It was fun and different and entirely right for the house, and most importantly, right for me.

• berryberry
    15 years ago

The lights will work well with your kitchen - the tile not so well

• happymommy
    15 years ago

I love the lights and the other elements that you are putting in your new kitchen, but I too don't think the backsplash is a good fit. I admit that it helps seeing the inspiration pic posted with a similar backsplash that you are thinking about doing, however, ultimately it only reaffirms my opinion that it doesn't work in that sort of kitchen. I do love that backsplash though, just not in your kitchen. Good luck. You are going to have a beautiful kitchen no matter what you decide.

• redroze
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Lots of food for thought here. I've made a decision though - i will get the lights because I love them and have always loved them (and my husband loves what I love...haha...not he loves them too). I appreciate all the other lantern style options, and while nice, I have looked at every lantern style under the (walking distance) planet and determined that these particular lights are perfect for what I want to do. The longer shape, the metal point at the end, just really speak to me.

I will invest in the lights and do the backsplash later. I would also like to explore more options in the ceramic area because the one thing that bugged me about glass is that any "white" options tend to have a blue or green undertone to them, and I didn't wanted an overall neutral feel to the kitchen with grey being an undertone. Ceramics just are mor flexible in the shapes and sizes, and maybe I can do a skinny ceramic tile, as many here have suggested!!

Thank you so much everyone. I will not forget this advice!!! My cabinets are delivered this Monday and start getting installed on Tuesday so you will be hearing from me soon for sure!!!

Redroze

• redroze
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I meant to write that "my husband does love them too"... they'd be out of the running if he didn't love them!

I shouldn't be using the word love for inanimate objects. I love my hubby, and I *love* the lights. Haha...

Thanks again everyone. I'm in a better mood now, I've decided on something and feel very productive now. =)